Moparts

Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ?

Posted By: krw71ragtop

Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 12:09 AM

I need a radiator for a 74' Scamp small block. A moparts member in California has an ad for aluminum radiators in the A-body parts for sale section for a reasonable price. Just wondering if anyone has tried these radiators ? Are they made in the USA ? How was the fit ?
Thanks
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 12:47 AM

I have a 4 core I bought from Craig. Shipped out real quick. Works great so far. But it will not bolt on a stock fan shroud.

I don't have a fan shroud yet and I've idled in stop and go under 10 mph traffic on the 405 freeway for 20 minutes and didn't get hot with my stroker 416 ~425hp motor. The temp gauge moved a little, but didn't get hot. Once it got some airflow went back to dead on 160. A shroud would take care of it.
Posted By: terzmo

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 02:05 AM

I have 2 on 2 different B bodies and the shroud fit on nicely. Can't confirm A body. Also have a few friends with champion rads and they are very satisfied. Great bang for the buck

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 02:37 AM

Quote:

I have a 4 core I bought from Craig. Shipped out real quick. Works great so far. But it will not bolt on a stock fan shroud.

I don't have a fan shroud yet and I've idled in stop and go under 10 mph traffic on the 405 freeway for 20 minutes and didn't get hot with my stroker 416 ~425hp motor. The temp gauge moved a little, but didn't get hot. Once it got some airflow went back to dead on 160. A shroud would take care of it.

I have a stock 26" radiator part #3673015. It measures 22 1/2" from bottom to the top of the cap. It's about 2" away from the fan blades. Fits in the car just fine. It's too beat up to use.
I purchased a 26" aluminum radiator at a swap meet that measures 24 1/2" from bottom to top of cap. The hood would not close without hitting the cap. I trimmed a piece of the inner hood and got it to close but then realized when I put the fan on it was about a half inch from the radiator. Seems a little close to me. Now I have a new aluminum radiator that I can't use and I don't want to purchase another one and have the same issue's. Do you know how tall your's is ?
Posted By: bordin34

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 03:32 AM

I bought one from the guy you are talking about. I had it within a couple days. I had to drill new mounting holes which tool about 5 minutes. As said before the factory shroud will not fit but I've been fine without it. Mine is a 2-core 26" for a 74 318 Valiant.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 04:16 AM

I wanted to buy one from Craig but he never got back to me. Not good for business.

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 05:56 AM

Quote:

I bought one from the guy you are talking about. I had it within a couple days. I had to drill new mounting holes which tool about 5 minutes. As said before the factory shroud will not fit but I've been fine without it. Mine is a 2-core 26" for a 74 318 Valiant.

How close to the radiator is your fan blades ? I'm wondering if I can use the aluminum one I have with about 1/2" clearance ? The mounting holes and shroud mods I expect with after market parts !
Posted By: Black_Bee

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 06:17 AM

Got one for my '69 Super Bee... like others have said, it required enlarging the mounting holes.

It looks OK... I ordered an electric fan and shroud to go with it, and it looks beautiful, but does not even come close to fitting...

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 06:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

How close to the radiator is your fan blades ? I'm wondering if I can use the aluminum one I have with about 1/2" clearance ? The mounting holes and shroud mods I expect with after market parts !

I used the Jaguar fan clutch Hayden # 2765. That's with a small block aluminum water pump 70' and up. The 69' down cast iron water pump is shorter.

Attached picture 6677121-3_27_11Sm10.JPG
Posted By: 69B3GT

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 08:09 AM

Went with my dad and picked it up in Lake Elsinor. Pops is happy with it so far, ive seen the gauge move to 180 in traffic and other then that it stay around 150. Mild 360, mechanical fan and no shroud

When funds allow ill be getting one for my car

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 01:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I used the Jaguar fan clutch Hayden # 2765. That's with a small block aluminum water pump 70' and up. The 69' down cast iron water pump is shorter.

I did not know the earlier cast pumps are shorter. Thanks for the info and picture. Looks like your fan is almost as close as mine is. Maybe I can run this radiator.
Posted By: Mapandjlp

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 02:02 PM

I've got a 26" that I purchased on Ebay. It did come from Cali so maybe the same place?? The first one was twisted, couldn't use it. He promptly sent another one. Mounting holes were useless, had to redrill them all, including the shroud holes. The shroud doesn't fit flush against the radiator but looks ok. Cooling is good, no problem there.

Function - A
Fit - D
Customer Service (not sure if it's the same place) - A

For the money, it's a decent radiator. Just be prepared to massage it.
Posted By: ChallengerGary

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 02:28 PM

Quote:

I wanted to buy one from Craig but he never got back to me. Not good for business.

Give me a shout - or PM rather. I am also a distributor for them (but don't want to step on Craig's toes so I will not be advertising them here).
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 03:33 PM

Quote:

I did not know the earlier cast pumps are shorter.

Yes but the inlet is on the DR side and they have a smaller impeller so flow less but if it will solve your clearance prob there are aftermarket versions that flow alot more if a parts house unit is inadequate. MP has one also but $$$$. definitely add the anti cav plate and deburr the casting lines halfway in the 2 water ports in the tim cover & can mill the front of the tim cover to reduce the vane (or anti cav plate) to the flat to ~.040" for a MUCH more efficient pump then adj bolts/spacer length/pulley alignment. Depends how far you want to get into it & just throwing out some stuff that worked 4 me.

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 04:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I did not know the earlier cast pumps are shorter.

Yes but the inlet is on the DR side and they have a smaller impeller so flow less but if it will solve your clearance prob there are aftermarket versions that flow alot more if a parts house unit is inadequate. MP has one also but $$$$. definitely add the anti cav plate and deburr the casting lines halfway in the 2 water ports in the tim cover & can mill the front of the tim cover to reduce the vane (or anti cav plate) to the flat to ~.040" for a MUCH more efficient pump then adj bolts/spacer length/pulley alignment. Depends how far you want to get into it & just throwing out some stuff that worked 4 me.

You bring up some good points I didn't think about. Thanks for everyons help here. I just have one more question. You guys that have A-bodies I need to know the height of the radiator or a part number ?

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 08:58 PM

A shorter clutch for the fan would work too. This picture shows how close it is.

Attached picture 6677947-HPIM1604.JPG
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/11/11 09:55 PM

Copper. Thermal. 180 superstat. Old formula works everytime. Ma knew. New/different is not always better.
Posted By: KY Charger

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/12/11 04:18 AM

I bought one with two 12" fans , so I'm not gonna worry about the mechanical fan.
Posted By: bordin34

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/12/11 04:59 AM

My fan is about as far as autoxcuda's. I am not running a clutch fan, mine is solid.

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/12/11 07:15 AM

Quote:

A shorter clutch for the fan would work too. This picture shows how close it is.

Seems ok. But you could get get the 2765 Hayden fan clutch that should be shorter.
Posted By: sturmenater

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/12/11 02:37 PM

Ive got a champion sitting in the garage bought it colloecting part for my project when i went to intsall could not its all twisted and warped what a piece of [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]
Posted By: rth

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/12/11 05:43 PM

i've got a 22" in my 70 coronet.had to open up mounting holes and modify shroud and make brackets for it.i use a flex fan and spacer to put blades in the middle of opening.my 440 with a 180 stat run fine.
Posted By: JonsGottaDusta

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/12/11 09:16 PM

Hey,

I am sorry that I missed you and your request for a radiator. I did get a ton of calls this week with the heatwave that is going on.

For the guy that has the twisted radiator send me a PM or give me a phone call and I can get this swapped out free of charge.

For the gent looking for a radiator if you want the 22" the stock fan shroud will not fit on the 22" only the 26" radiator. Champion shortened the height on the 22" by 2" because of some issues with a-body core supports. I have a customer that bought one before the height adjustment and he put it in his demon without issue and it would not fit in my demon or my kids duster.

Anyhow, let me know if you picked one up or send me a PM with your phone number.

Craig
Russell Motorsports
760-267-1301
Posted By: GasHog72

Re: Champion cooling systems (radiators). Anyone tried ? - 06/13/11 03:32 AM

I got one for $100 from craigslist. It was a little beat up from it sitting in the guys house, was unused. It was not too bad to fit it. Had to drill some holes but clearance with the fan was decent. Had to turn the hoses a little and hold them while tightening the the clamps down. Still, happy with it. keeps it cool. 72 Plymouth Satellite 360
© 2024 Moparts Forums