Moparts

freeze plug sealant -if any

Posted By: BattleCruiser71

freeze plug sealant -if any - 06/07/11 08:34 PM

I'm replacing freeze plugs in a non performance 318, they'll be the usual brass or bronze or whatever they are now.

what if any sealant should I put on them? some sort of locktite? which one?
Posted By: Neil

Re: freeze plug sealant -if any - 06/07/11 08:39 PM

Permatex Form-A-Gasket.

They make 2 kinds, one that sets up hard and one that doesn't so use the one that fully dries. Clean the heck out of the openings and then wipe a little sealer in the hole and drive the plug home.

Lots of people stick these in dry and never have an issue. My experience is if one does leak it's always the toughest one to get to.
Posted By: dOOc

Re: freeze plug sealant -if any - 06/07/11 08:45 PM

What Tater said ... plus maybe even some RTV. They tend to slide-in EZier using some sort of "sealer".
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: freeze plug sealant -if any - 06/07/11 08:45 PM

Permatex "brown death", the only thing it's good for.
Posted By: AtomicDog

Re: freeze plug sealant -if any - 06/07/11 10:26 PM

Quote:

Permatex Form-A-Gasket.

They make 2 kinds, one that sets up hard and one that doesn't so use the one that fully dries. Clean the heck out of the openings and then wipe a little sealer in the hole and drive the plug home.

Lots of people stick these in dry and never have an issue. My experience is if one does leak it's always the toughest one to get to.

Permatex Form-A-Gasket #1 (fully hardening version) - I just installed a full set of brass deep-cup freeze plugs in the block + heads of a Magnum 5.9 motor and no leaks or issues. While you are at it, if this is a used motor, make sure that you check/clean out the water galleries of crud that builds up in the block with use.
Posted By: BattleCruiser71

Re: freeze plug sealant -if any - 06/07/11 11:27 PM

Thanks guys!

And I love the simple concensus, now It's off to ye olde parts shoppe.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: freeze plug sealant -if any - 06/07/11 11:34 PM

i use 1 or 2 items , weather strip adhesive(gorrilla snot) or i have used indian head,
Posted By: AtomicDog

Re: freeze plug sealant -if any - 06/08/11 12:17 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys!

And I love the simple concensus, now It's off to ye olde parts shoppe.

When purchasing your plugs, don't forget that the freeze plug kits do not include the freeze plugs needed for the cylinder heads (if you are planning to replace them). Those 4 plugs are purchased seperately and are 1-1/4" in diameter, I believe.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: freeze plug sealant -if any - 06/08/11 01:35 AM

Another vote for Permatex #1 (gets hard) & b sure & get freeze plugs that are deep (good ole Dormans) or brass
© 2024 Moparts Forums