Moparts

too much play in power steering unit

Posted By: sanman68

too much play in power steering unit - 06/07/11 12:33 AM

The car is a 1971 Dodge Challenger with factory power steering. I had my power steering gear box rebuilt a few years ago and have not driven the car since. Now I have everything hooked up and you can move the wheel in either direction about 1/8 of a turn before the pitman arm begins to move. From the top you can see the input shaft moving but the pitman arm is not moving. Is there an adjustment for getting rid of the play? Or do I need to get a firm feel gear box? I am in the process of a complete front suspension and brake rebuild.

Thanks
Sanman
1971 Dodge Challenger Convertible
Posted By: buildanother

Re: too much play in power steering unit - 06/07/11 12:39 AM

You should have engine running for that test.

Re: too much play in power steering unit - 06/07/11 12:41 AM

With the engine running and the system full of fluid the play is the same.

Thanks

Re: too much play in power steering unit - 06/07/11 01:17 AM

You could try adjusting it, by loosening locknut and turning screw clockwise a half turn or so and see if that helps. This adjustment is only done with wheels in straight forward position, and you can go too tight so don't lay into it. If the half turn helps, you can try a little more, but when it starts binding, it's time to stop. Sounds like it was rebuilt and hardly used at all?
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: too much play in power steering unit - 06/07/11 10:11 AM

Quote:

You could try adjusting it, by loosening locknut and turning screw clockwise a half turn or so and see if that helps. This adjustment is only done with wheels in straight forward position, and you can go too tight so don't lay into it. If the half turn helps, you can try a little more, but when it starts binding, it's time to stop. Sounds like it was rebuilt and hardly used at all?

I agree here. My Charger has a rebuilt unit from Firm Feel. It has loosened up a little over the years, so I adjusted it as described above. It made the difference.

Re: too much play in power steering unit - 06/07/11 11:49 PM

I'll try adjusting it once I get the front end back together. Yes it is a older rebuild but never used. Where is the lock nut?

Sanman

Re: too much play in power steering unit - 06/08/11 12:02 AM

It's directly above pitman arm, in line with center of pitman shaft, but at very top of box. 3/4" hex IIRC. Possibly 11/16".

Re: too much play in power steering unit - 06/08/11 12:29 AM

Thanks so much guys. You are a huge help.

Sanman
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: too much play in power steering unit - 06/08/11 06:41 PM

If you adjust it too tight, the steering will not return back to straight ahead by itself. BTDT.
© 2024 Moparts Forums