Moparts

Lokar or Bouchillon?

Posted By: busboy

Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 03:13 AM

I need a kick down cable set up for my 340/727 a-body conversion. The engine has a Holley 750. I don't have any experience with this product or either of these company's so I'm looking for any advice/experience that will help with my decision, thanks.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 03:49 AM

A lot of people rave about the Bouchillon. My local speed shop had the Lokar. It was easy to install, took maybe 20 minutes, and works great. I used it initially on a crossram hemi and it was easy. Hope this helps.
Posted By: FrankenScamp

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 03:49 AM

I have the Lokar setup....it works just fine when properly adjusted.

I've heard all over "the Bouchillon is a better product". Never bought one....never needed to replace the Lokar.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 04:07 AM

I bought a used truck that had a Lokar throttle cable. The inner wire had worn thru the outer sleeve and was binding up the throttle. I changed it out with an OEM cable.
Depending on the carb you use, the throttle end needs to be installed so it has the correct carb to trans lever ratio for best performance. Bouchillon gives you options, Lokar doesn't.
So when I needed a kickdown cable for a '68 Valiant, I didn't buy a Lokar.
Posted By: cornet684me

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 04:10 AM

bouchillon

i have it on a 440/727, the customer service at bouchillon is awsome, you can actually talk with the owner and inventer Randy Bouchillon, he walk me threw some questions i had, working great

Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 04:13 AM

Quote:

bouchillon

i have it on a 440/727, the customer service at bouchillon is awsome, you can actually talk with the owner and inventer Randy Bouchillon, he walk me threw some questions i had, working great

bought AC stuff from Bouchillon,
JR has got on the phone with me, seemed like a good guy who knew his stuff. I have a Lokar on one of my cars, next one will come from Bouchillon.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 04:31 AM

Quote:

I have the Lokar setup....it works just fine when properly adjusted.

I've heard all over "the Bouchillon is a better product". Never bought one....never needed to replace the Lokar.

Same here
Posted By: Pat_Whalen

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 04:45 AM

Another vote for the bouchillon kit.
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 05:52 AM

I'm using a Bouchillon because it works well & they're throttle cable bracket will allow me to use my cruise on my RC.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 07:35 AM

Seems like a pretty even split here. I've seen both work well. I went with Bouchillon though. 8 years and still working great.
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 11:39 AM

i have been using lokar kickdowns for years now and have never had any issues.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 04:18 PM

Lokar here also.
Posted By: Junky

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 04:26 PM

Lokar here. Works just fine and looks clean.
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 04:37 PM

I have the Bouchillon piece on my Mirada.

I like it, good customer service too from those guys.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 05:46 PM

I was skeptical about the Bouchillon it because I wasn't exactly hooking it up to a conventional setup. I'll be honest. when I opened the box I saw a nightmare but when I read the instruction, they were so clear and concise, you just couldn't go wrong.

I had the Lokar setup years ago on my 70 Dart, Slant 6 / 904 and it was the universal kit. I had to make alot of bracketry to make it work right on the carburetor end. The trans was just a screw and a snap, the only thing is, it looked hokey.

The BP kit was a fantastic upgrade to my stock throttle and kickdown linkage (I got both kits that work off one another) FWIW, I hooked up the kit to a Dual Quad Eddy Manifold with Twin Edelbrock carbs.
Posted By: GTXKen

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 07:22 PM

Bouchillon...most trans guys will tell you the same. I have ued them and have reccomended them to several friends who are all very happy with them. Only thinh Locar has over Bouchillon is bling

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/02/11 11:39 PM

I have a new Lokar kit that I've had for years. When I put my CrewCab together I passed on it & built my own using Chrysler parts & guidance from John Kunkel It worked flawlessly for almost 5 years until the trans finally quit at 200k. I would've had just as much fab work to use the Lokar on my combo.
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/03/11 01:40 AM

Bouchillon here. Engineered to work on Mopars right out of the box - no fuss. Not as pretty as a Lokar. I seem to recall that the cables themselves are OEM pieces intended for trucks with A518's.
Posted By: busboy

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/03/11 04:22 AM

Thanks all for the reply's, seems like I've got to flip a coin now, seems like either one would work fine. I do appreciate a company with good customer support and since this is hidden under the air cleaner anyway I gotta say I'm leaning towards the BP piece. Thanks for all the replys
Posted By: 1bad318

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/03/11 04:29 AM

i use the lokar on my cars,works great.i also work at lokar and can tell you its a quality piece and 100% made in the USA....knoxville,tn as a matter of fact and lokar has a lifetime warranty on their products.either way,you cant go wrong with either

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/03/11 01:47 PM

Hopefully John Kunkel will chime in- but I believe other than price and looks, there is a significant mechanical difference between the lokar setup and the bouchillon performance setup. Something about using the stock throttle pressure arm at the transmission with the lokar setup and it not being the correct ratio in relation to the arm at the carb. The bouchillon setup has a replacement arm with the correct ratio.
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/03/11 04:00 PM

Quote:

i use the lokar on my cars,works great.i also work at lokar and can tell you its a quality piece and 100% made in the USA....knoxville,tn as a matter of fact and lokar has a lifetime warranty on their products.either way,you cant go wrong with either

I didnt know about the lifetime warranty.
I just yanked them out of the package and installed them. LOL
Very nice stuff though. I have the throttle and TV cable from Lokar, but I used the trans/oil dipsticks from Milodon.

Lokar is indeed a quality product though.

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/04/11 01:54 AM

Quote:

Bouchillon here. Engineered to work on Mopars right out of the box - no fuss. Not as pretty as a Lokar. I seem to recall that the cables themselves are OEM pieces intended for trucks with A518's.

The cable that I used was a 91 Dodge van cable w/TBI A518. It looks identical to the Bouchillon. The hardware used at the trans is definately all Chrysler. bob
Posted By: chrisf

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/04/11 04:25 AM

i have a bouchillon. used it with a holley, went to a carter and had to modify the adapter to fit (per instructions) now i have gone back to holley and the bracket doesnt fit anymore and i am not even sure i kept the part i cut off. ooooooooops.

double oooooops. i dont have to buy a new bracket, bolted it onto the holley/mopar adapter and it works better than ever!!

happy with it. would buy another one.
Posted By: 1bad318

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/04/11 04:39 AM

the lokar piece adjusts with the cable at the carb.there is no arm.you loosen a set screw and adjust the tension on the cable to adjust the throttle pressure.but they are quiet different.but like i said,heard good from both,both work great
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/04/11 11:07 PM

I've got a 414/904 with a victor intake and I just ordered the Mancini kit (that i think is the Lokar) along with one of ANDYF's tall throttle brackets....Hope I have as good of luck with the hook up as you all seem to be having!

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/07/11 04:34 PM

Quote:

the lokar piece adjusts with the cable at the carb.there is no arm.you loosen a set screw and adjust the tension on the cable to adjust the throttle pressure.but they are quiet different.but like i said,heard good from both,both work great

What I was getting at is that the distance from the pivot points for each arm is not appropriate with the Lokar kit. Cable adjustment may be able to be set properly with the Lokar kit when the throttle is 0%, but as throttle is increased, the throttle pressure arm at the transmission is not moving in a correct relationship to the arm at the carb. Again, this is just from memory and John seemed to understand it a lot better. There was something about drilling a new hole in the TP arm if you used the Lokar setup.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Lokar or Bouchillon? - 06/09/11 02:53 AM

I only use a throttle cable as I have a manual shift V/B. I use the Lokar and it works great. The bracket bolts on the rear carb mounting nut so you dont need any other brackets. It has been on my 63 for about 6 years and never no trouble. Ron

© 2024 Moparts Forums