Moparts

Can a waterpump gradually go "bad"?

Posted By: Pat_Whalen

Can a waterpump gradually go "bad"? - 05/05/11 06:39 PM

Still trying to sort through my high temps. Running around during 100 degree days here with my 440 results in temps pushing 200+. I'm not sure if that's too high, but it begs a question. My radiator is a new 3 core, the electric fan I've got on it does not cover the entire core (maybe 75 percent of it). I know this is a problem and while I await the funds for the mercedes fan and controller, I'd like to fix any other deficient areas. Currently running a 180* thermostat and an edelbrock waterpump (it's what came on the housing when I picked up the engine).

Is this style of pump, with the cast vanes, more or less efficient than the stamped vane mopar style? Should I consider replacing it? Do they become less and less efficient as they age? I'm not sure how old this pump is. I know it's silly to ask, but is that possible?

Thanks for any help
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Can a waterpump gradually go "bad"? - 05/05/11 06:42 PM

I don't know , it either spins or it doesn't , unless the belt is slipping , you'd hear it , or the rotor falls off the shaft ???
Posted By: ireland383

Re: Can a waterpump gradually go "bad"? - 05/05/11 07:17 PM

Quote:

Still trying to sort through my high temps. Running around during 100 degree days here with my 440 results in temps pushing 200+. I'm not sure if that's too high, but it begs a question. My radiator is a new 3 core, the electric fan I've got on it does not cover the entire core (maybe 75 percent of it). I know this is a problem and while I await the funds for the mercedes fan and controller, I'd like to fix any other deficient areas. Currently running a 180* thermostat and an edelbrock waterpump (it's what came on the housing when I picked up the engine).

Is this style of pump, with the cast vanes, more or less efficient than the stamped vane mopar style? Should I consider replacing it? Do they become less and less efficient as they age? I'm not sure how old this pump is. I know it's silly to ask, but is that possible?

Thanks for any help

Pick up one of those laser temp guns and check around on your motor. I got one at Autozone for around 30 dollars and verified that my gauge was off. Make sure you have no air pockets in the system as well. I have a 3 core aluminum rad with the alleged faulty Cat housing with a Napa replaement pump and can't get the car over 180 in traffic on a 100 degree day. You should go with a clutch fan and shroud.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Can a waterpump gradually go "bad"? - 05/05/11 07:46 PM

At any speed will then motor then run at the temps the stat is at ?
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Can a waterpump gradually go "bad"? - 05/05/11 07:50 PM

Quote:

Dipping into the NyQuil, Doc?
Posted By: FuryUs

Re: Can a waterpump gradually go "bad"? - 05/05/11 08:30 PM

The vanes can erode away and pump less.

Re: Can a waterpump gradually go "bad"? - 05/05/11 09:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dipping into the NyQuil, Doc?

Did YOU type that out ? ...

OK .... At any given car speed ...will the motor then run at the temp the stat is set at ?

BETTER ? ...
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Can a waterpump gradually go "bad"? - 05/05/11 09:16 PM

Oh DOC... I figured that you could take a joke as well as you can give them! Just having fun, you know.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Can a waterpump gradually go "bad"? - 05/05/11 09:18 PM

You've got an excellent rad/good pump so I'm gonna assume that it's a low(er) speed prob so I'd say airflow & as you said non elec fan in the works plus a shroud/unobstructed grill

Re: Can a waterpump gradually go "bad"? - 05/05/11 09:39 PM

Quote:

Oh DOC... I figured that you could take a joke as well as you can give them! Just having fun, you know.

FRANKENberri ... now if you look at that first post .... if you take-off the n on the first usage of the word THEN ... it makes BESTer sense.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Can a waterpump gradually go "bad"? - 05/06/11 01:06 AM

Ive tried to figure out Docs replys for years.The scary thing.Im starting to decipher them.Rocky

Re: Can a waterpump gradually go "bad"? - 05/06/11 02:46 AM

Quote:

Ive tried to figure out Docs replys for years.The scary thing.Im starting to decipher them.Rocky

Yo Rocks .. it is good to hear that you have FINALLY laid that fattie down ...
Posted By: Nino

Re: Can a waterpump gradually go "bad"? - 05/07/11 01:05 AM

Quote:

The vanes can erode away and pump less.

I'm not saying that this is your problem, but it happened to me once. No usual warning signs -- no leaks from the weep-hole and no shaft-play. Finally pulled it, and the cupped portion of the vanes had completely worn away to the point that they weren't pumping at all, just spinning (the curve was completely gone). I used to have a picture of it somehwere...

Maybe check the temperature of the return hose to your radiator and see if it's hot/pumping... (it's not the most accurate, but I usually just use my hand and you can even feel when the thermostat opens).
Posted By: cjs69mope

Re: Can a waterpump gradually go "bad"? - 05/07/11 04:02 PM

The Problem is the Small Electric Fan Period .
I have tryed many differant fan combonations and the best one is a factory seven blade with thermal clutch fan that has a 216 ending partnumber that fan pulls over 3500 cfm if you electric is under that the car will run hot . this fan can keep a 900 hp alum hemi cool in 90 deg weather it will work for you .
second best fan is a 18 inch flex a lite seven blade fan .
pulls tons of air at slow speeds and flatens out at high rpm . the both will work best with the shrouwd . but have used the factory with out shroud and still works good .
© 2024 Moparts Forums