Moparts

Steering gear vs. alignment

Posted By: MIRADAMANia

Steering gear vs. alignment - 05/05/11 04:05 PM

I just got my Charger aligned yesterday and it still seems to dart from side to side. The gear is worn but I would think the car should still go down the road straight. My thought is that with a worn gear you have to turn the wheel farther to get any input which shouldn't affect whether the car tracks straight, just how much you have to turn the steering wheel to get the front wheels to turn. Any thoughts?
Posted By: 1969RR

Re: Steering gear vs. alignment - 05/05/11 06:25 PM

Hello, What were the final setting? You really want as much positive caster as you can get. Remember, these ol' Mopars had a hard time achieving enough positive caster. Also, your gear box might actually be too tightly adjusted. If someone has tried to take the "slop" out by tightening the sector adjuster, that will make for a terrible "wander". Alignment setting would (if not correct) make the car pull or drift to one side or the other, not so much fell like it "wanders" or darts side to side. Post the settings if you can. Take care, Jeff
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Steering gear vs. alignment - 05/05/11 07:07 PM

Quote:

Also, your gear box might actually be too tightly adjusted. If someone has tried to take the "slop" out by tightening the sector adjuster, that will make for a terrible "wander".

GREAT point. The steering box adjustment, if set too tight, will tend to "bind up" and when coupled with a meager factory setting of positive camber and 0 degrees of caster.... bad news on the road. Alignment techs with brains will set up the car how YOU want, but you have to tell them beforehand.
Mopar Action magazine had an article a few months back on how to improve your power steering system. The power steering in most classic Mopars is waaaaaay overboosted, and the article showed a way to reduce the pump pressure to a point where the pump provides just enough pressure to add assist without feeling like you are steering the tires on wet ice. You can see the article online. Its certainly worth reading.
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Steering gear vs. alignment - 05/05/11 07:26 PM

What size are your front tires? I had 255/60's on the front of my Mirada for a few years. I loved how it looked but it always wanted to jump in and out of the crown of the road. I put 225's on it last week and now drives straight as an arrow.

Re: Steering gear vs. alignment - 05/06/11 03:37 PM

Left caster was +1.4, right was +2.4, which was the most we could get, left camber was -.5, right camber was -.7, toe-in was .05" both sides. The tires on the front are 235-60-15, the rears are 295-50-15. There is quite a bit of play in the steering wheel and it turns very easily.
Posted By: AINTNRT

Re: Steering gear vs. alignment - 05/06/11 05:55 PM

First thing I'd do is get the caster fixed, you have 1 degree difference left to right, that's enough to cause an issue. Don't matter which way you go as long as the both sides are close to each other.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Steering gear vs. alignment - 05/06/11 07:18 PM

The Moog 7103 offset upper control arm bushings are great for adding more caster. Much cheaper that changing to adjustable upper control arms. I was able to get 4 degrees of Caster with the Charger! I have a 275-40-18 tire on the front and it tracks straight until I steer into a rut.

Re: Steering gear vs. alignment - 05/11/11 04:17 PM

Also, your gear box might actually be too tightly adjusted. If someone has tried to take the "slop" out by tightening the sector adjuster, that will make for a terrible "wander". Alignment setting would (if not correct) make the car pull or drift to one side or the other, not so much fell like it "wanders" or darts side to side. Post the settings if you can. Take care, Jeff

That's exactly what the problem was. When I adjusted it correctly the car goes straight down the road very nicely. Thanks!
Posted By: roe

Re: Steering gear vs. alignment - 05/12/11 12:22 AM

Quote:

Also, your gear box might actually be too tightly adjusted. If someone has tried to take the "slop" out by tightening the sector adjuster, that will make for a terrible "wander". Alignment setting would (if not correct) make the car pull or drift to one side or the other, not so much fell like it "wanders" or darts side to side. Post the settings if you can. Take care, Jeff

That's exactly what the problem was. When I adjusted it correctly the car goes straight down the road very nicely. Thanks!

Whats the process for making that adjustment?

Re: Steering gear vs. alignment - 05/13/11 03:41 PM

This is how the 71 service manual describes it:

Attached picture 6631057-LastScan2.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums