Moparts

Which lifter set for MP purple shaft 284/484 cam?

Posted By: 71GoMango

Which lifter set for MP purple shaft 284/484 cam? - 05/05/11 03:47 PM

I need to get a new lifter set and just wanted to know which set to get for the mopar performance 284/484 cam thats going in my 340. If you need more info just ask...Thanks!
Posted By: Boosted

Re: Which lifter set for MP purple shaft 284/484 cam? - 05/05/11 05:59 PM

That small of a cam a stock set of Hyd lifters should work just fine..
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Which lifter set for MP purple shaft 284/484 cam? - 05/05/11 06:13 PM

You could go with a roads type fast bleed for better idle ??
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Which lifter set for MP purple shaft 284/484 cam? - 05/05/11 06:16 PM

,,,to add ..if you have a GOOD SET of used lifters ...I would not have any second-thoughts about using those. IN FACT ...some of the newer lifters ...some have reported that they are "soft" and their failure rate is high.

I just pulled apart a RB RV motor ....and the crown on the lifters could not be BESTer. I plan on using them on the new cam.
Posted By: rss

Re: Which lifter set for MP purple shaft 284/484 cam? - 05/05/11 08:39 PM

Quote:

I just pulled apart a RB RV motor ....and the crown on the lifters could not be BESTer. I plan on using them on the new cam.

We need a smiley rollin' some dice for this one.
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: Which lifter set for MP purple shaft 284/484 cam? - 05/05/11 10:22 PM

Quote:

I need to get a new lifter set and just wanted to know which set to get for the mopar performance 284/484 cam thats going in my 340. If you need more info just ask...Thanks!

Are you using adjustable rockers or non-adjustable rockers?
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Which lifter set for MP purple shaft 284/484 cam? - 05/05/11 10:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Re: Which lifter set for MP purple shaft 284/484 cam? - 05/06/11 12:12 AM

I was told before I should definitely not chance it and to buy a new set, so thats what I plan to do, so I just wanted to know what set to get...And I dont think mine are adjustable, should I get adjustable?
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Which lifter set for MP purple shaft 284/484 cam? - 05/06/11 12:25 AM

I don't blame you for not reusing old lifters,as many times as I hear of people wiping a lobe with all new parts.I would buy a set of Comp Cams lifters if it were mine.
Keith
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Which lifter set for MP purple shaft 284/484 cam? - 05/06/11 12:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK guys ... just at the face of the lifter and see if there is any diff from a new one. Lifters should never wear-out.

The motor I speak of ....I compared those lifters to brand-new-ones ..... no diff in the crown.

With the crap-shoot with new(since 2000 or so) "soft" lifters(that have been reported on this site) ....I think that THAT is more of a crap-shoot than using old ones.

Re: Which lifter set for MP purple shaft 284/484 cam? - 05/06/11 03:56 PM

Compsyn: I looked and I was using mopar performance hydraulic rocker arms and springs...

My heads are a set of heads that were machined and assembled by Herb McCandliss, they have mild port work 2.02-1.60, MP hyd rocker arms and springs with stainless steel valves...

And by the way I have failed to mention, there were not many hrs at all on this motor, it never made it to the street before the bearings spun on the 1st trip out and about, not sure exactly why, but already had my crank turned and bearings properly installed, so just trying to get this thing back together...Thanks!
Posted By: None2Slow

Re: Which lifter set for MP purple shaft 284/484 cam? - 05/06/11 07:52 PM

I would go with new lifters, but go with a name brand american made. They will cost more, but money well spent. Its the offshore brands that were giving all the problems.
Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Re: Which lifter set for MP purple shaft 284/484 cam? - 05/07/11 09:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK guys ... just at the face of the lifter and see if there is any diff from a new one. Lifters should never wear-out.

The motor I speak of ....I compared those lifters to brand-new-ones ..... no diff in the crown.

With the crap-shoot with new(since 2000 or so) "soft" lifters(that have been reported on this site) ....I think that THAT is more of a crap-shoot than using old ones.

You can take chances if you want to for your engines, but I use new lifters with new cams. Unless, I use the same lifters with the corrosponding cam (with the SAME locations on the lobes as was in the donor motor), I would never mix old lifters with new cams. New lifters with old cams (provided the cam wear is minimal) is okay. It's all about the lifter's wear pattern with the cam used. AND contrary to popular belief, lifters DO wear out!! Roller lifters have the highest tolerance to wear, unless
abnormal spring pressures or low luburication situations arise, which can wear out ALL types of lifters.

© 2024 Moparts Forums