Moparts

Federal to Saginaw PS pump/direct swap?

Posted By: FrankenScamp

Federal to Saginaw PS pump/direct swap? - 05/04/11 02:39 PM

Since I can't find a cap for my federal PS pump, I'm just considering a swap. Any reason I can't swap to a different, easier to find, pump?

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Federal to Saginaw PS pump/direct swap? - 05/04/11 03:26 PM

As long as you have the right pressure hose that goes with the pump it should be a problem .
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Federal to Saginaw PS pump/direct swap? - 05/04/11 03:39 PM

I think brackets and fittings are both diff
Posted By: JeffC

Re: Federal to Saginaw PS pump/direct swap? - 05/04/11 03:41 PM

Quote:

I think brackets and fittings are both diff

Yep, you need the right brackets and hose. Then you need to find a belt that will fit.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Federal to Saginaw PS pump/direct swap? - 05/04/11 06:27 PM

Another advantage to the switch: You can modify the Saginaw pump easier than the Federal. Mopar Action magazine showed how to DEcrease the boost from the pump to INcrease the steering effort and road feel.
You're welcome.
Posted By: FrankenScamp

Re: Federal to Saginaw PS pump/direct swap? - 05/05/11 03:02 AM

Sounds like a definite maybe....

Hoses and brackets can be made....thanks!
Posted By: wicked

Re: Federal to Saginaw PS pump/direct swap? - 05/05/11 03:21 AM

I was wondering the same also, as 440 source and I think Bouchillon offer the brackets, and wondering if anyone did it. The info I came across mention the federaL pump as being 2-stage providing less pressure at speed and the saginaw as needing to have an orfice plug to drop the pressure down for comparable steering feel.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Federal to Saginaw PS pump/direct swap? - 05/05/11 05:24 AM

for BBs BUT just up to 72... since 73 they changed

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-Sag...=item3367640ebd
Posted By: Darius

Re: Federal to Saginaw PS pump/direct swap? - 05/05/11 01:30 PM

Those brackets are cool. I wonder if there is a similar package for the same Federal to Saginaw switch on a 340?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Federal to Saginaw PS pump/direct swap? - 05/05/11 01:47 PM

Quote:

Those brackets are cool. I wonder if there is a similar package for the same Federal to Saginaw switch on a 340?

Yes there is, 1972 B body I worked on had a saginaw pump on it from the factory.

I ASSuMEd the OP had a saninaw pump setup for a smallblock complete and was wondering if it would work in place of the federal , didn't realize he was trying to reinvent the wheel .
© 2024 Moparts Forums