Moparts

NE1 still modding 5.7 harnesses for E body?

Posted By: 2cudabuck

NE1 still modding 5.7 harnesses for E body? - 04/25/11 07:15 PM

Good morning everyone, hope all had a great Easter weekend! I have sent a couple of PM's to people who had said they would take your stock 5.7 harness and trim it down for the swap, but have had no replys. Do any of you know if anyone on the list is doing it? I have EVERY peice from my donor truck and it seems ashame (not to mention $1K) to not be able to use the stock harness. Thanks all, I look forward to hearing from you all!!

Buck
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: NE1 still modding 5.7 harnesses for E body? - 04/25/11 08:02 PM

Why not do it yourself ?

Just get a factory service manual for the vehicle the engine/harness is out of and go wire by wire and either keep or get rid of what you don't need.

That is just what I did on my LS1/Torana swap and it works great without buying an aftermarket loom.

Re: NE1 still modding 5.7 harnesses for E body? - 04/25/11 08:36 PM

I'm pretty handy and that wouldn't scare me off, but I just don't have the knowledge of what the motor needs to run and what it doesn't! Like all four o2 sensors, (does it need all four?) and various other systems and sensors. There aren't that many unattached wires right now, so I would be willing to go for it if I new what was needed!! Hmmm, thanks for the possiblity, I'm pondering it...

Re: NE1 still modding 5.7 harnesses for E body? - 04/25/11 10:44 PM

BUMP!!!

Re: NE1 still modding 5.7 harnesses for E body? - 04/26/11 12:23 AM

I'm not sure on the O2 sensor thing with the Hemi's, hopefully someone can chime in on that, or perhaps check with a company that flashes the PCM's for them about what you can or can not get rid of ?
(Or maybe try and get a close look of an aftermarket loom to see what they are using)

On mine, I had a pretty good idea of what could stay and what could go... I ditched the rear O2's, the EGR stuff , etc. Also adjusted the length of certain parts of the harness at the same time to suit where I was going to run the PCM.

Here was mine in process..

Attached picture 6602954-0902091302_01.jpg

Re: NE1 still modding 5.7 harnesses for E body? - 04/26/11 03:24 AM

ZOINKS!!! I think I would need a real good "roadmap" of what to keep and eliminate to tackle that myself after seeing that! I'm getting the dealership to run all my numbers and stuff tomorrow so I can see the extent of my reflash. Other than that, a fuel pump and regulator and I'm ready to go!! Any more input folks, I'm lovin it!

Re: NE1 still modding 5.7 harnesses for E body? - 04/26/11 03:45 AM

The factory service manuals did the job for me.

Attached picture 6603370-0902091204b_01.jpg
Posted By: wldtm

Re: NE1 still modding 5.7 harnesses for E body? - 04/26/11 05:44 PM

i did my truck harness myself. Personally, they are tedious to do the 5.7 engine harness, to be able to make any money at it (at least for me). An 04 ram service manual has a master wiring diagram that worked perfect for me. I would be glad to answer questions, but just dont have the time do it.

It is doable though, just time consuming.

Justin

Re: NE1 still modding 5.7 harnesses for E body? - 04/26/11 11:11 PM

how do you all know what sensors and stuff the engine is going to require to run right and the repurcussions of removing things? My motor and trans came from an 05 2wd Ram, and I have EVERYTHING from the harness, down to the bulbs.
Posted By: wldtm

Re: NE1 still modding 5.7 harnesses for E body? - 04/27/11 02:56 AM

basically if you use the 04-05 master engine system wiring diagram you use all the sensors listed. Sensors = upstream 02 sensoer, cam, crank, app, Elec Throttle Control motor, knock. Relays = asd relay, starter relay, fuel pump relay. These are some necessary ones. Might be a few more, but these are essential.

Try to find an 04 ram manual, it should be the same as 05. You need to have an idea where to start. Better yet email me at wldtm@hotmail.com I will try to see if I can send you the wiring diagram.

I did not use the auto trans from the truck in mine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums