Moparts

soldering a radiator

Posted By: pnypwr

soldering a radiator - 04/14/11 03:31 AM

anyone here ever solder a radiator? I found an aftermarket modine rad with the correct diemensions for my gremlin, it fits an eagle...everythings the same and the pics looked the same also but were diff numbers. well I got it short so im happy but the mounts are on the wrong side...mine mounts to the rear and the new onemounts to the front...so I need to swap the straps. ive sweat pipe but do you need a special solder? which flux? im not a plumber so this is kinda foreign to me...any helps appreciated
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: soldering a radiator - 04/14/11 03:43 AM

I was gonna say scuff it/clean w acid flux/solder w acid or solid core solder but this Modine unit is alum right? Not sure what to do w that
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: soldering a radiator - 04/14/11 03:44 AM

no its copper
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: soldering a radiator - 04/14/11 03:45 AM

In that case the above will work
Posted By: 70Duster440

Re: soldering a radiator - 04/14/11 06:32 PM

The radiator shop may use a solder with a different tin/lead ratio than plumbing but either will work. A tin of (plumbing) flux is fine. Pick up a couple of acid brushes too.
Posted By: chargincharles

Re: soldering a radiator - 04/14/11 07:27 PM

Go to an Art Supply store and get some solder that is used in Stained Glass work. It is mostly lead with very little silver.
Use the paint-on type of flux and heat it first, then do the soldering joint.
Finally, wash everything down with a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize the acid from the flux. Or it will slowly eat a hole in the brass.

It's not hard. Just be patient.

CC.
© 2024 Moparts Forums