Moparts

65 Coronet 318 poly 4 speed conversion

Posted By: peabodyracing

65 Coronet 318 poly 4 speed conversion - 04/11/11 12:01 AM

I've been lining up parts to switch my 318 3 speed manual 65 Coronet wagon over to a 4 speed. Started thinking this weekend that the bolt pattern is different for 3 speed vs 4 speed and I don't know if that vintage bell housing is drilled for both.

I'm using an early 4 speed so driveshaft and input shaft bearing retainer should be ok. The car is still buried for winter storage, and trying to look at it right now isn't feasible. Thought I should get a jump on locating another bellhousing if needed.

Opinions please; do you think that bellhousing is dual pattern?
Thanks in advance guys.
Posted By: GTX70sixpack

Re: 65 Coronet 318 poly 4 speed conversion - 04/11/11 12:13 AM

I'm swapping an auto to 4spd in a 65 BelvedereII wagon and am using a early 70's aluminum bellhousing. The bell I took out of my 66 Coronet wagon poly/3spd was cast iron and heavy. Also I am using a 70 Road Runner 4spd and the original Belvedere driveshaft and yoke.

I recently put a 360 4spd with late model bellhousing in a 66 Dart wagon. Other than the z bar bracket, no problems. A few measurements, cut a bracket and welded on a pivot ball.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: 65 Coronet 318 poly 4 speed conversion - 04/11/11 12:41 AM

any newer sb housing should work.
you will not be able to line up 1 bolt hole on the drivers side. Just throw that one away.
Posted By: rbstroker

Re: 65 Coronet 318 poly 4 speed conversion - 04/11/11 01:10 PM

The 1965 3 speed bellhousing is different than a 4 speed bellhousing. You will also have to cut the floor and weld in a 4 speed shift tunnel.

Re: 65 Coronet 318 poly 4 speed conversion - 04/11/11 02:30 PM

Thanks all! Guess the hunt is on then. You've saved me some wasted time. Thanks again.
Posted By: 65Frank

Re: 65 Coronet 318 poly 4 speed conversion - 04/11/11 02:51 PM

Quote:

I'm using an early 4 speed so driveshaft and input shaft bearing retainer should be ok.

When you say early 4 speed do you mean a ball and trunion with the flange on the output? Just asking because that's what's on the three speed.

Frank
Posted By: mike s

Re: 65 Coronet 318 poly 4 speed conversion - 04/11/11 04:36 PM

You will need to modify the bracket that holds the ball for the torque tube.It won't line up with the later bell.You also won't be able to use both bracket bolts only one will work.You could fab a new bracket that uses both holes but I used mine with only one bolt and it worked fine.I have pics if you need them.

Re: 65 Coronet 318 poly 4 speed conversion - 04/11/11 05:40 PM

This forum is amazing; with the stroke of a few keys I can get a wealth of info from people 'who've been there before'.

I knew about the infamous ball and trunion and had been sitting on this 4 speed for a good 20 years thinking it would come in handy sometime. Also had picked up a 4 speed tunnel hump earlier this winter. I didn't think of the Z bar pivot line up though; that should be manageable.

Thanks again guys!
© 2024 Moparts Forums