Moparts

2.4 damper pully frozen

Posted By: moparfrank

2.4 damper pully frozen - 04/03/11 07:07 PM

I have a damper pully on a 2.4 that refuses to come off. Have the 3pt puller on, tapped (hit hard) the puller, heated the pully as much as possible without melting the plastic cover and sprayed cold water on it. No luck. Any ideas short of dynamite.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 2.4 damper pully frozen - 04/03/11 07:55 PM

No ideas other than make sure you're pushing the center of puller against the crankshaft, and not the center of pulley. I'm only familiar with the 3.2 and 3.5 where the pulley has a center that positively stops at crank snout, unlike the v-8s that most folks are used to messing with. In the case of the 3.2, 3.5, you have to place some kind of dummy spacer smaller than the threads of the crank bolt you removed. Hard to explain.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: 2.4 damper pully frozen - 04/03/11 08:09 PM

Quote:

No ideas other than make sure you're pushing the center of puller against the crankshaft, and not the center of pulley. I'm only familiar with the 3.2 and 3.5 where the pulley has a center that positively stops at crank snout, unlike the v-8s that most folks are used to messing with. In the case of the 3.2, 3.5, you have to place some kind of dummy spacer smaller than the threads of the crank bolt you removed. Hard to explain.

I about guarantee this is your problem.... Find a bolt the same thread as the crank bolt only longer, thread it in the hole & press against that.... Or just try using the original bolt only threaded in a few threads to get started....
Posted By: therocks

Re: 2.4 damper pully frozen - 04/03/11 08:53 PM

Those take a odd puller.We had one at work.The typical 3 jaw usually dosnet work.As said make sure the center is on the crank.I used a washer that fit inside the damper.Rocky

Re: 2.4 damper pully frozen - 04/03/11 09:20 PM

I am only pulling against the crank. I made a very small pilot for the puller to go against so not to ruin the crank end or threads. The threads on my puller have so much force on them they are almost ready to strip. Is there a special part number puller? I am using one that is very similar to the one in the Chilton book.
Posted By: mod381

Re: 2.4 damper pully frozen - 04/03/11 11:22 PM

You need to have a rod in crank where bolt goes. In a pinch i have used a 6 inch long 1/4 extension but you have to be carefull not to bend it.

Re: 2.4 damper pully frozen - 04/04/11 12:00 AM

Thanks mod381. 1 wild rt and buildanother I now see what you were trying to say. Evidently Chilton doesn't know what they are talking about. The hole in the damper is the same size as the bolt. I took a 5" 7/16 grade 8 bolt and ground the threads off and drilled a chamfer in the center of the head. I have a new tool which works perfect.
Posted By: POZEST

Re: 2.4 damper pully frozen - 04/04/11 02:34 PM

I borrowed a friends puller. Only had 2 jaws and came right off!
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: 2.4 damper pully frozen - 04/05/11 12:13 AM

O'Reilly's Auto Parts has the correct puller for rent. (Free!) Get the right one or risk busting out the parts that you must pull with. The pulleys are very hard to pull off!

Take your time, get the right puller and be careful with this one.
© 2024 Moparts Forums