Moparts

Power Brakes and Engine Vacuum?

Posted By: racealittle

Power Brakes and Engine Vacuum? - 09/14/08 05:46 PM

What is the minimum vacuum (at idle), required for power brakes to work properly? Thanks
Posted By: ahy

Re: Power Brakes and Engine Vacuum? - 09/14/08 06:40 PM

I've found they work fine with 12". I wouldn't want to have much less.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Power Brakes and Engine Vacuum? - 09/14/08 08:09 PM

And if you're worried you can always add a vacuum reserve canister to help with the duties...
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Power Brakes and Engine Vacuum? - 09/14/08 08:12 PM

I ran a car with 6.5 inches but I really wouldn't recommend it. Without a cannister I would think you would be just fine with 10"
Posted By: racealittle

Re: Power Brakes and Engine Vacuum? - 09/14/08 08:54 PM

I need to put good working engine in my Challenger for a while while I decide what to do with the original small block. All I have is big blocks. The smallest cam is a street hemi grind MP.474 280 which makes anywhere from 9 to 12 inches of vacuum depending on idle, neutral, in gear, engine temp etc. It idles nice in gear at 700 rpm or so. I think I have most of what I need to make the swap without grief. My other engine choices would be more fun, but likely unsafe when it comes to stopping. I kind of thought this might be the lowest vacuum required to retain safe and effective power brakes.
Posted By: Blown_Hemi

Re: Power Brakes and Engine Vacuum? - 09/14/08 09:02 PM

I have 8" of vacuum at idle, in gear, with my 440. The power brakes work fine. I do have the engine in a truck with the dual diaphgram brake booster.
Posted By: ryan053

Re: Power Brakes and Engine Vacuum? - 09/15/08 07:09 AM

My 68 charger has 10.5" at idle and the power brakes work fine.
© 2024 Moparts Forums