Moparts

69 B body. Factory AC vs Aftermarket.

Posted By: rtidd440

69 B body. Factory AC vs Aftermarket. - 04/01/11 05:25 AM

I have a 69 Charger thats going the restomod route. The car has factory AC. I have already decided to run the small radial compressor under the hood to save weight and for a cleaner appearance. I have three complete heater ac box assemblys and multiples of the under dash ductwork and control knobs. My main concern is function and reliability. Does anyone have any opinions on using the stock stuff under the dash as opposed to something from one of the aftermarket companies? On another note, does anyone know what to do with the RV2 compressors? I have about a dozen and wonder if I should just sell them for scrap?
Posted By: Dabee

Re: 69 B body. Factory AC vs Aftermarket. - 04/01/11 05:39 AM

I’m running the small radial compressor on 69 upper Bee with all the original factory air equipment under the dash and under the hood. You will need to change all the o-rings to be compatible with the new refrigerant and modify the hose ends at the compressor. My system blows cold (39 degrees at the vents) on a 95 degree day with no problems.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: 69 B body. Factory AC vs Aftermarket. - 04/01/11 06:33 PM

Using the factory stuff inside is fine, like said previously all o rings need replacing. When I did this swap, you have to have the hoses custom made, so be sure to run them on the upper fenderwell instead of over the valve covers like factory and some aftermarket does. I have done a couple of r-134 conversions on Mopars and will say this, 134 does not get as cold as R-12, modern cars compensate by having bigger blowers and larger vents to move large volumes of"cooler" air. Our Mopars had pretty small vents and even on Hi, all my blower motors are anemic compared to modern ones. My wifes Cuda still has working factory A/C in it and that extra 6-8* temp drop with R-12 really makes a difference in getting a hot car cooled quickly! R-12 is still available and is expensive, but if you do the job right, it should pretty much be a one time expense. When I change her car over to a big block, I will go with a Sanden compressor but maintain the R-12. Just something to consider.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: 69 B body. Factory AC vs Aftermarket. - 04/01/11 08:49 PM

Classic Auto Air Tampa, Florida. Reliable ice cold performance for 6 years in my non-AC 69 Coronet. 32 at the vent.
Posted By: 63stabamatic

Re: 69 B body. Factory AC vs Aftermarket. - 04/01/11 10:01 PM

On my 69 GTX,I went with the Classic Auto Air conversion with the Sanden Compressor and R134A. Gets cold enough but the 69 fan, like was said above, is to wimpy. I called Classic auto Air about a direct replacement fan with more CFM, at that time they didn't have one. I think the only way to upgrade the fan is to change the entire underdash box.
© 2024 Moparts Forums