Moparts

fixing leaking freeze plug

Posted By: TheOtherDodge

fixing leaking freeze plug - 03/21/11 01:30 PM

On my 2000 Dakota, Im a few drops will hit the garage floor, coming from the back part of the motor. I can't find where, so Im assuming the rear plugs between the block and trans.

Are there any good products out there to help stop this leak? Im not going to put pepper or an egg in..
Posted By: buildanother

Re: fixing leaking freeze plug - 03/21/11 01:54 PM

Make sure to rule out the rear intake bolts. Seen a couple break causing small leak. (magnum eng only)
Posted By: Dragula

Re: fixing leaking freeze plug - 03/21/11 02:07 PM

I have had a couple rust out over the years, and one was between the engine and trans. If it is a freeze plug, and its rusted out, keep a good eye onit as it may all of a sudden let out a lot more....
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: fixing leaking freeze plug - 03/21/11 02:53 PM

I have seen heater hose leaks at the fire wall hose clamp appear to be from the back of the motor,might check it out,if you haven't already.
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: fixing leaking freeze plug - 03/21/11 11:54 PM

Check it out carefully to be sure where it is leaking from. If it is a leaking core plug, and the truck is your daily driver, you may as well go ahead and yank the engine now and replace all of them. If you try and go with Stop Leak or something, it will probably be a temporary fix. And the plug will still blow a hole in it, but when it is 95* and your a/c is ripping you'll be on the side of the road. May as well do it now before the weather gets too hot.

Re: fixing leaking freeze plug - 03/22/11 01:40 PM

Thanks...I know it is not a leaky bolt (was kinda hoping it was) because I replaced the intake gasket a few weeks ago (leaking oil out the back) and that didn't solve it.

Checked the heater hoses last night and it wasn't that either...
Posted By: 70Duster

Re: fixing leaking freeze plug - 03/22/11 06:29 PM

If you are going to use a sealer, use Bars Leak Gold. This is a powder sold in a small tube (ground ginger root) available at WalMart for less than $2.00 per tube. This is exactly the same formulation as the GM Coolant Supplement Tablets that are sold and specified by GM to be added to the early Northstar engines (among other aluminum GM engines) with every coolant change. It will not clog heater cores.

Re: fixing leaking freeze plug - 03/23/11 02:09 AM

Thanks! I will look into that.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: fixing leaking freeze plug - 03/23/11 04:04 AM

you might look to see if it's the heater core leaking. a small leak would drip from the drain tube. clear the floor and lay some paper or cardboard down, and check for a leak after it sits for a few hours. might be easier to pinpoint the exact spot the drip is coming from.
Posted By: galen

Re: fixing leaking freeze plug - 03/23/11 04:06 AM

Sealer will work temporary. I ended up replacing every plug. Your going to find a bunch of crud laying in the block behind the plugs. The back were the first to go on mine.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: fixing leaking freeze plug - 03/23/11 04:11 AM

effen it is the FP's ... you are better off changing them in your driveway or garage than having them realy FAIL out on the track or 100 miles away.
Posted By: roe

Re: fixing leaking freeze plug - 03/25/11 05:05 AM

Like guys here have said, "If one is going, they're all going". When one of mine went, I replaced just that one. Then when I got around to checking the rest, there were 5 other ones that were leaking and I didnt notice, or were so paper thin that just scraping it with a screwdriver put a whole in it.
Posted By: C-Tech

Re: fixing leaking freeze plug - 03/25/11 06:10 PM

Quote:

Like guys here have said, "If one is going, they're all going". When one of mine went, I replaced just that one. Then when I got around to checking the rest, there were 5 other ones that were leaking and I didnt notice, or were so paper thin that just scraping it with a screwdriver put a whole in it.

You can delay the inevitable but I would plan on replacing them all as soon as you can.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: fixing leaking freeze plug - 03/25/11 06:16 PM

on a small block it always seems to be the two in the rear drivers side of the block. one by the starter and the other in the same corner between the engine and trans. seems thats where all the sludge seems to gather and it rusts out those two freeze plugs.
© 2024 Moparts Forums