Moparts

Removed speedo cable

Posted By: rockerbob

Removed speedo cable - 03/13/11 06:12 PM

I removed the speedo cable from my 69 Satellite 904 tranny. Since I installed a custom sheet metal dash I no longer need it. Now I have a slow drip. Should I plug it or is that as bad as it will drip & be fine.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Removed speedo cable - 03/13/11 06:16 PM

It'll get worse.

Make a small sheetmetal cover and install it over the hole.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Removed speedo cable - 03/13/11 06:17 PM

Take the speedo cable/gear adapter out of the trans, remove the gear, find a bolt that is long enough to extend through & have a nut fit on the end.... Clean everything up, coat the bolt with sealant, insert into the adapter, install & tighten nut.. Reinstall the adapter.... No more leak...
Posted By: SANDYinNS Canada

Re: Removed speedo cable - 03/13/11 07:12 PM

Measure the size of the hole witth the adpter out ..get a frost/core plug and drive it into the tranny no more leak nice clean looking job

Re: Removed speedo cable - 03/13/11 08:07 PM

Mine has a large nut on the end of the cable. Took a 1" wrench to remove. Left a male threaded stub. Can I just go to the local hardware store & buy a brass fitting/pipe plug to thread over it?
Posted By: sturmenater

Re: Removed speedo cable - 03/13/11 08:16 PM

Remove speedo gear tap the housing its self were gear and shaft go through than instal plug install plug. Just did this myslef cant rember I thing i tapped it 1/4 npt
Posted By: moparx

Re: Removed speedo cable - 03/15/11 02:23 AM

i have threaded caps with neoprene gaskets that seal on the speedo gear housing. pm me if interested.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Removed speedo cable - 03/15/11 02:29 AM

Quote:

Mine has a large nut on the end of the cable. Took a 1" wrench to remove. Left a male threaded stub. Can I just go to the local hardware store & buy a brass fitting/pipe plug to thread over it?

yes if you can match the thread type, should b able to
Posted By: moparx

Re: Removed speedo cable - 03/15/11 02:50 AM

thread size is 7/8-20. not a real popular size.

Re: Removed speedo cable - 03/15/11 01:01 PM

Quote:

i have threaded caps with neoprene gaskets that seal on the speedo gear housing. pm me if interested.

Let me check with one of the local hardware stores first. We have 4 right here in this dinky small town (Youngsville). 1 Farm, 1 plumbing & 2 general hardware. Hopefully one will have something I can use. If not I may contact you. Thanks.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Removed speedo cable - 03/15/11 01:33 PM

they have new o-rings for the speedo pinion shaft

I replace those and clock the speedo plug so the gear does not turn the pinion

this will save it for a future speedo hook up

if you look at the plug it has #s on it to match up with the plastic gear for it to clock in the tail housing just set it so it does not mesh up the gear and it wont be turning to wear the o-rings out

if you use any sealent use the mopar ATF/RTV from the dealer,it holds up to tranz fluid for a long time

I have just removed the speedo pinion and filled the hole end to end with the ATF/RTV and let cure over night on the bench

© 2024 Moparts Forums