Moparts

my 3.9 still sucks..UPDATED

Posted By: dave571

my 3.9 still sucks..UPDATED - 05/17/08 03:59 AM

OK...I've got a 3.9 that runs like a bag of you know what. 96 ram 1500 2wd 5 speed.
Very poor idle, and stumble off idle. Almost sounds like it's missing on a cylinder or 2, but it's not(verified on ociliscope)

Here's what I've found it's NOT

-plugs
-cap
-rotor
-wires
-coil
-all sensors seem to be working within thier normal range. O2 sensor is new.
-valves are not sticking
-converter is not plugged
-fuel pressure and volume are good
-Compression is present. 120 psi on the left, around 90 on the right. I've blamed the discrepency on temp varience between the sides while testing.
-Timing chain was completely terrible (1" of deflection) replaced it. runs the same.
-have checked for external vac leaks. None found

I've heard a few guys say the intakes are known to crack on these, but I've never heard of it. Still have to follow up on it.

PCM ?

Any idea's welcomed.
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/17/08 04:23 AM

I've never done it, I have a 2000 3.9 and the swap only works up to 1999, but it was quite fashionable to install the the Ford Motorsports 19# injectors in those engines... Direct swap, the improvement was the Ford injector had 4 holes for spray vs. the OEM Mopar's single hole. On the Dakota board guys were reporting much improvement in idle quailty and low speed smoothness in the 3.9's with the injector change, and they were pretty cheap, 8 injectors for less then $100 IIRC. Google "Ford injectors in 3.9 Dodge" should bring up some threads that have more info.

EDIT: Those are the 4.6 V8 injectors
Posted By: pro451bee

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/17/08 05:17 AM

If it has a EGR valve , test it .

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/17/08 04:19 PM

I haven't checked the egr valve.
I'll take a peak at that.

Anyone else?
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/17/08 06:04 PM

I still think it's probably the ECU.

However you need to double check your compression readings because the 90 is very low even stone cold. Did you check it with all the plugs out?
Posted By: GTX70sixpack

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/17/08 06:41 PM

The intermediate shaft bushing wears out and causes the distributor to jump, can even ruin the distributor. Used to replace them all the time. Remove the distibutor and use a long wide blade screwdriver to see if you have any side play in the gear.

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/17/08 09:59 PM

I'm starting to question the ecu as well, but only as a last resort. I have seen lot's of ecus replaced over the years, with only about 1% actually fixing anything.

I'm going to spend some time verifying that the distributor is actually timed right(that no one has messed with it). Would seem to be a good time to pull it out and inspect it too.

Replacing the timing chain with 1" of slack did make a difference in above 2000 rpm performance, but it is still far from fixed. The fact that it changed at all, could ad some credibility to the distributor gone bad theory.
Posted By: AdamR

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/18/08 12:34 AM

My 98 Dakota has a 3.9L, Its a pig, I cant imagine how slow it must be in a ram, though the 5 speed may help.

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/19/08 05:18 AM

Quote:

My 98 Dakota has a 3.9L, Its a pig, I cant imagine how slow it must be in a ram, though the 5 speed may help.

My 98 Dakota runs very well, I was in W.Va. with a 700 lb. quad in the back and my friend had his 97 Chebie 1500 4X4 with a 350 and a 700 lb. quad, we stopped at a light side by side starting up a large grade, he asked if I wanted to race and I said your on, expecting to get stomped. By the time I hit third gear he was 8 cars back. Mine is a 5 spd and his a heavier 4X4 butt the difference was unbelivable. Another freinds 97 Dodge 1500 4X4 with a 360 Magnum isn't much quicker than the Chevie.

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/19/08 06:02 PM

I know I've driven a few 3.9's that have had all the power of any 318 rig I've driven.

What I'm getting is worse than just a lack of power. It makes you wonder if you are going to get to where you are going.

In any case, I'll pull the dist next week, and follow up on somemore stuff.
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/20/08 01:04 AM

Is the exhaust hissing? The honeycomb brick broke up inside my cat on my old '90 Dak. Pieces of the cat blew downstream and clogged the muffler. Power was very low and exhaust pushing backwards melted my EGR valve a few times before I figured it out. My final clue? Pissed off at no power and not figuring out, I just mashed the pedal to the floor and just held it there. POW!!! Blew a hole in the side of the muffler, then the power came back!
Posted By: mike s

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/20/08 01:57 AM

Sounds like a couple things.1.As earlier mentioned replace the dist drive /intermediate shaft 2.The plenum gasket is likely leaking. (It seals the bottom of the intake manifold).BTW they do not crack they blow the gasket out.KRC Performance and Hughes Engines offer a replacement plate that will stop the gasket from failing again.
Posted By: 8T2TOP

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/20/08 02:29 AM

Sorry to hear your 3.9 dak is bumming you out!! MY 5.2 '94 DAK IS a rocket ship,glad I didn't go with the 3.9.
Posted By: jeepers007

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/20/08 03:28 AM

I had some bad battery cables/connection in my 5.2 once. I haven't had a 3.9, but you might check that out. With these modern ECU driven engines, a little voltage inconsistency can cause all sorts of symptoms.

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/20/08 04:25 AM

GO_Fish .... the muffer was completely rusted off, when I got the truck (it was already running like it does now). I replaced it. Then as I became frustrated with the running, I thought it was the converter, so I cut it open to look inside. Already empty so I don't think that's it. Thanks though....

mike_s ..... I'll check some more for vac leaks at the plennum, but I've already looked around there quite a bit. I'm hoping that chcking into the distributor will turn into something.

BIGBLOCK78DOBA ....
"Sorry to hear your 3.9 dak is bumming you out!! MY 5.2 '94 DAK IS a rocket ship,glad I didn't go with the 3.9. "

Actually mine is a Full size, so at least it has THAT going for it
Posted By: bbtrux

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/21/08 03:14 AM

you wont find a vac leak AT THE PLENUM.NOTICE HOW TALL IT IS?to cast that,the bottom is left open.then they machine it and bolt a plate to it.i think larry is right.the intermediate bushing is probably the biggest part of the problem.but i would guess you also have an internal vac leak thanks to a blown plenum cover gasket.new mopar ones are metal and come with new bolts.
Posted By: Bill55AZ

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/21/08 03:29 AM

If the plenum gasket is bad, the crankcase will be under a slight vacuum instead of a slight pressure. With engine idling in park, remove pcv and crankcase breather cap from valve covers. cover the holes with your hands for about 5 seconds, then lift one hand. Direction of air will tell you if the gasket is bad. If it sucks in, replace the gasket....

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/21/08 04:04 AM

Thanks for the further input guys

I see what you mean about the height. It's one piece from the head up to the throttle plates. The bolt on plate is underneath right? so you have to pull the intake to get to it ?

In any case, with the cap off, I cannot feel any play in the distributor.(at least not slop side to side etc).
I can feel some rotational movement, much like I would expect to feel on a v8 in the slot/drive. It doesn't seem excessive.

I pulled the throttle plate assembly this evening and notice there is a ton of carbon in it. Nothing that strikes me as abnormal. Perhaps pulling the intake is the next step for me right now.

Cheers
Posted By: FuryUs

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/21/08 10:12 AM

If the plenum gasket is bad, you should see oil inside the intake.

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/26/08 01:31 AM

UPDATE

it still sucks

pulled intake. No evidence of plate leakage, or gasket leakage. Replaced it all anyway. still the same.

Pulled dist at same time. No bushing play at all.

Egr valve is a blockoff plate, so that's not it either.

I'll keep pulling my hair out...er I mean digging.
Posted By: FuryUs

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/26/08 01:37 AM

Does it use coolant at all?
IAC motor clean/working?

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/26/08 01:41 AM

IAC is clean and working. It was working before, and I cleaned all that stuff when I had the intake off.

No coolant consumption.

Lot's of frustration but no obvious problem.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/26/08 01:44 AM

plugged cat?

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/26/08 01:56 AM

I was at that 3 guesses ago

I opened it up, and the honey comb was long gone. Completely empty.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/26/08 02:07 AM

I'm thinking the new timing chain was installed off a tooth.

I hope you didn't use the line up the dots method becuase sometimes those dots are misstamped.

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/26/08 03:38 AM

I'd believe that if the new chain had made any change at all to the running of the engine, but it didn't.

It would be nothing short of miraculous to install a new chain, and have it run the same as the old one with 1" of slack, IF the chain was actually the cause of the initial fault.

But for arguments sake, I did use the line up the dot's method that the service manual says to use, so I supose it isn't dialled in, and could be off. I won't be taking it apart to dial it in anytime soon though.
Posted By: mike s

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/26/08 04:44 AM

Sorry to hear that the problems continue.Are you getting any fault codes? Did you pull the intermediate shaft out of the engine and check the gear for wear? I read that the dist did not have any play but that doesn't mean the intermediate shaft is ok.If it is worn it could move the timing to the edge of the 5 degree window needed and the rough idle and poor performance would be exactly how it would run.There was a run of bad shafts back about 95-96.Haven't heard of the problem on 99's but nothing is written in stone.

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/26/08 10:43 AM

I did have a bad injector on mine, off idle missfire, on a heavier truck I can see stumble and hesitation. Also have you checked to see that the timing is advancing. Also I had not seen or heard of intermediate shaft gear wear outside of the bushing causing wear but it is worth looking at. Your symtoms are the same as those caused by a worn bushing which is why I sugested it earlier.

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/26/08 01:54 PM

Thanks guys.

I'll dig deeper.

I am questioning injectors, because I notice about 1/2 of them are new already, so perhaps there is a bad one in thre again.

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/26/08 02:31 PM

Quote:

I'd believe that if the new chain had made any change at all to the running of the engine, but it didn't.

It would be nothing short of miraculous to install a new chain, and have it run the same as the old one with 1" of slack, IF the chain was actually the cause of the initial fault.

Nothing miraculous about it, just bad luck. 1" of slack retards the cam timing, installing the new timing set a tooth off, or mismarked, will do one of two things to cam timing, retard it or advance it. So you got a 50/50 chance there.

It's a possibility to keep in mind that's all, especially if you used a low cost parts store replacement. Heck I had a new Cloyes setup start with slack in the chain, so back it went. I prefer Edelbrock's sets myself.

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/26/08 02:34 PM

Hmm, I though of something, lol.

You right compression isn't even side to side and is out of spec from high to low. Did you do a wet and dry compression test and you HAVE TO do it warm. Cause I think maybe your slacked timing chain may have allow a couple of valves to whack pistons. I know when the nyon let's go on OEM timing sets a 318 will bend all it's pushrods whack pistons with valves.
Posted By: 7DRRunner

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/26/08 03:35 PM

I have the 3.9L in my DD and had a problem with injectors

never threw a code, and I ck'ed everything that has been mentioned so far in this thread

and of course, it only did this on occassion so it was tough to track down

one injector went bad and would actually leak a slight amount of fuel down in the cylinder

only after I parked it

so when I started it up, it smelled flooded, and ran like I had some huge racing cam in it

I could rev it for a minute to "clear" things out, but man - I had stumbling and hesitation like you wouldn't believe ...

hope this helps some .....
Posted By: volaredon

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/27/08 07:16 PM

Oh. so I see Im not the only one thats had issues with sloppy Cloyes timing sets new out of the box. I aree with the injector idea in thiscase. I have a Bosch injector place near me, so when I have a driveability issue like this I take the whole rail with the injectors still attatched, in and for $15/ea they'll test and flush them and get me new O rings; any that fail the test, whether electrically or beung plugged beyond cleaning they dont charg me to test. They remove them individually from the rail and test them bu running cleaning fluid thru them while they can watch the spray patterns; they can tell whether the injectors are "balanced" too as in volume/flow. The main reason I take em in attatched to the rail is to help me ID just which hole any bad ones came from.
Posted By: Scottmon

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/27/08 07:30 PM

Most important first step: Have you checked for codes? I'm pretty sure '96 is OBDII so you'll need a code reader. Just because the check engine light isn't on doesn't mean the bulb is burnt out or a previous owner took it out!!!

Something else to check: there are two coolant sensors, one for the gauge and one for the PCM. The one for the PCM is on the front of the intake by the thermostat housing, be sure it's plugged in. My brother accidentally left his PCM coolant sensor unplugged on his '93 3.9 Dak and it ran like doo-doo until we figured it out and plugged it back in.

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/28/08 06:21 AM

I don't think it's a bent valve. Simply because I've never seen a bent valve that had any compression at all.

Quote:

Most important first step: Have you checked for codes?

Yes, that was my first step, and no codes are present.

temp sensor is reading/operating normally on the pid data. Warms up as the engine does.

It is OBDII.
No misfire data present.

I had the injectors out last night, and attemped to observe the spray pattern.

I'm not sure if I'm any wiser after that...LOL

They all squirt. Some do seem to 'mist' more than others, but none dribble. New ones are 35 bucks a piece. I'm not sure If I'm ready to make that leap on a guess. At least not yet.

I think someone areound here does that clean and test thing too. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the continued interest, and feedback on this issue guys

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/28/08 06:25 AM

I'm starting to wonder if there is a relationship between the injector theory, and the lower comp on one side.

I'm pretty sure that these injectors are batch fired side to side.(control is bank to bank only, not on individual cylinders) Problem on one side causing a partial fuel washout of the compression.
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/28/08 06:26 AM

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/28/08 01:06 PM

It is SMPI.

Probably a bad computer. Get a "good" one from KRC or somewhere. I replace them all the time with the aftermarket performance ones as they are usually cheaper. Even the Mopar Performance ones are cheaper but I don't think they have them for a V6 but check and see.

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/29/08 03:28 AM

Well, it still sucks, but some progress.

Found it would run almost the same with 4 of the 6 injectors disconnected(lead me to believe they must be leaking down)

I work at a ford store, so I was able to procure some new 4.6 injectors and install them.
Huge improvement, but still sucks.

Went for a a long drive this eve. MIL/Engine light came on near the last 1/4 of it. I'm hoping there's a code that will lead me to something.(can't check tonight, scanner is at work)

I'll keep you up to date
Posted By: patrick

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/29/08 02:56 PM

turn the key on/off 4(?) times and it'll flash the codes...
Posted By: 360view

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/30/08 11:04 AM

I agree with Supercuda
that the 90 psi compression reading is too low.

My 1995 Magnum 5.9 v8 compression tests
read over 150 psi dry
and 165 psi with teaspoon of oil,
a few years ago
and that was with 140,000 miles on the odometer.

I agree that low battery voltage
and bad corroded electrical ground connections
can make 3.9/5.2/5.9 engines of the 1990s do some truly strange things too.......

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 05/30/08 04:08 PM

I bet with an unstretched timing chainyour compression will be higher.
Posted By: 7DRRunner

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 06/04/08 08:35 PM

find out anything new yet or have you had time to fool with it lately ?

Re: my 3.9 still sucks - 06/10/08 03:18 AM

OK.......it sucks way less now

As I mentioned last, new injectors made an improvement.

I found that the engine light led me to "open injector circuit" codes.

I further found that the connectors for the injectors fit rather poorly. No retainer wires in them etc.. I replaced them all, and now it runs pretty good!
Has gone from virtually non drivable turd to not bad at all. Light is on, but I haven't cleared it since I changed the connectors.

Thanks for all the input from everyone!
© 2024 Moparts Forums