Moparts

Oil filter Wix or Fram?

Posted By: desomod

Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/05/11 11:00 PM

What do you recommend and what part #? Fram HP1 or Wix??
Posted By: Junky

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/05/11 11:02 PM

Quote:

WIX!!!!!!!
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/05/11 11:05 PM

Stand by for lengthy Fram bashing session AGAIN.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/05/11 11:19 PM

Wix is good. Fram gets trashed because it's proven been to be a crappy poorly made product over and over again.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/05/11 11:21 PM

Posted By: 440newport

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/05/11 11:22 PM

I was wondering, I think the Napa Gold filters were made by Wix but are they still? I bought one a couple of months ago and it had 8 holes in the top like a Fram compared to the Wix's 6.
Posted By: topside

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/05/11 11:53 PM

I've been using Wix, Napa Gold, or Purolator for years with no problems.
Posted By: ireland383

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/05/11 11:53 PM

In all seriousness, I've used Fram for years with no issues. Now I use Napa gold 1515 which I'm pretty sure is made by Wix.
Posted By: Dr Lebaron

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 12:25 AM

From hanging around Hall of Famer, Herb 'Mr 4 Speed' McCandless-it's Baldwin oil filters. The stories he told.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 12:43 AM

I used to use Fram until I saw a Napa gold filter cut apart beside a Fram. Don't know if it really matters but the hardware inside the Napa/Wix was WAY more sturdy than the Fram. Sold me!

Kevin
Posted By: Neil

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 12:49 AM

Carquest filters are made by WIX too.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 01:41 AM

Quote:

I was wondering, I think the Napa Gold filters were made by Wix but are they still? I bought one a couple of months ago and it had 8 holes in the top like a Fram compared to the Wix's 6.

Good observation, it makes you wonder. Yes Baldwin is good
Posted By: Dakota_Don

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 01:53 AM

wix
Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 01:55 AM

Quote:

Stand by for lengthy Fram bashing session AGAIN.

Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 02:07 AM

As a new member, welcome!
Now, I'd suggest doing searches on here if you want an opinion on something, especially a car part. It's probably been covered. You can also search the interwebs for people's opinions on stuff. Often searching for a brand name followed by "stinks", "sucks" "ripoff" and such will turn up an unhappy customer. If the phrase come up a lot in lots of places, it's probably best to avoid.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 02:35 AM

I learned here about the Orange Wall of death in Autot stores.
Posted By: zrxkawboy

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 02:55 AM

Yes, NAPA Gold = WIX. Same for Carquest's premium filter. Last I knew, you could get NAPA Golds for a great price from a member on here (check the Hot Deals section).

I see no reason to use Fram. If you want a cheap filter, there are other filters at lower prices, and their quality is probably at least as good as Fram.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 03:56 AM

I beeez a W-guy me-self ....WIX or WallyWorld !
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 05:49 AM

Have any of you FRAM bashers ever cut open any filter to look inside? Next question: Have you cut open a FRAM HP1 ? Do your own research before you blindly follow the crowd and talk smack. Piling on seems to be popular for those that lack independent thought. There have been links to other posts with many popular filters cut open for all to see. Sure, the budget/cheap/inexpensive versions of the FRAM filters are inferior to the Wix, but the HP1 filter is a whole different animal.
Posted By: Erics5th

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 05:52 AM

I just avoid the whole debate and use Purolator.
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 06:14 AM

Just out of curiosity, ,why don't people run Mopar filters? I have always run the "090" on everything. I've never had a problem

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 06:30 AM

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, ,why don't people run Mopar filters? I have always run the "090" on everything. I've never had a problem

Yeah, I hear you.
I use the Mopar filter most of the time, but while at O'Rielly buying oil and anti freeze....
The HP1 filters are some of the best you can find on the shelf. Mopar Actions Rick Ehrenberg uses them on his motors. I trust him.
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 02:11 PM

here are a dew common filters cut open..

http://www.abodyjoe.com/Misccars/carinfo/oilfilters/oilfilters.htm
Posted By: gch

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 05:54 PM

Quote:

From hanging around Hall of Famer, Herb 'Mr 4 Speed' McCandless-it's Baldwin oil filters. The stories he told.

Yep.I buy mine by the case form Hensley Racing in Tenn.Run them in my 496 and in my corvette.
That being said I run Napa Gold and/or Wix in my civic(216k) and my Altima(189k) and have run them in my mopars in the past.
Run ANY quality filter you like.And on that note a cheap new filter beats an old well used anything.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 05:59 PM

Quote:

Guys; to be fair, the original post DOSE reference the HP1 which IS a quality filter, unlike the PH8A! It also carries a hefty price of about $10 which makes it undesireable.
Yes buy the WIX (a 51515 by the way)--great filter for a reasonable price.
Posted By: AdventurerSport

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 06:32 PM

Yup, WIX 51515 or Napa Gold 1515, same thing, best reasonably priced filters out there. I stock up at Napa during their farm filter sale, 50% off all filters, off of my already discounted price! Woo-Hoo!

JS
Posted By: 2Bad360sfromNC

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/06/11 07:02 PM

Napa (Wix) vs. Fram--just because I had the picture handy...

Attached picture 6513809-FRAMvNAPA.jpg
Posted By: cutterman

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/07/11 09:12 PM

used to work at napa all of their filters gold/siver/racing are made by wix
Posted By: MY340

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/08/11 12:41 AM

I use a Fram with the black grip material on my truck cause that sucker is hard to get off. Stupid GM put the filter sideways on the 5.7 and very little room around it.

I use NAPA filters most of the time but also Purolater some also.

I've never had a problem with any brand oil filter on a motor.
Posted By: Hamtramck

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/08/11 12:45 AM

purolator or hastings
Posted By: fox

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/08/11 10:40 AM

FRAM

F= fram
R= ruined
A= another
M= motor

Low end filters are not worth buying and replacing the original.
If you have one, it is best to keep the original on and put the fram in the trash.

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/08/11 11:43 AM

Posted By: go-fish

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/08/11 07:57 PM

Quote:

Napa (Wix) vs. Fram--just because I had the picture handy...

That is a PH8A Fram not HP1 like the OP referenced.

I have cut open a Fram HP1 and PH8A. (I'll go ahead and incriminate myself here). I used to be the "open purchaser" for a military unit I was in. I am a mechanic but was in charge of getting the parts that we absolutely could not wait on the NSN system to re-order. I had get the gov. credit card from the chief and go get some filters. I bought a crap load of PH8A's because that is what we used and I bought one HP1. Yes, on the tax payers dime, I destroyed two filters, BUT it was for scientific research!
The PH8A had cheap cardboard and a rubber band holding the element together. The HP1 was very beefy. Nice thick element. Something you would expect with quality filters. I stretched out the elements and the HP1 stretched out quite a bit farther when I laid them out down the hall way.

The Fram HP1 is the only Fram I would trust and I believe it is as good as any premium filter. It is just atrocious how the PH8A is put together though.

However, for economy, I use a WIX (Napa).Plus, it is tall and it comes closer to my headers on the small block. I have used it twice ome my 3G Hemi though.

I believe anyone that makes a blanket statement like "Fram filters are junk", is an idiot. Yeah, that's some of you.

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/08/11 09:22 PM

You were doing real well until you got to calling people idiots. I don't have any faith in the word of someone who resorts to name calling at those who don't agree with him. That's rather childish.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/08/11 09:45 PM

Amount of filtering media visible in a picture is a misleading marketing tool.

FWIW - in EVERY brand of filter I've ever used, I've found at least one that had a sliver of metal around the mounting threads.

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/08/11 10:35 PM

Quote:

You were doing real well until you got to calling people idiots. I don't have any faith in the word of someone who resorts to name calling at those who don't agree with him. That's rather childish.

Do you like to make blanket statements? You think that making blanket statements is "grown-up" and RATIONAL behavior? You don't have any faith in someone who calls people names, ..... THEN you call me childish. You're a winner.

Look at just about any thread on Moparts. This place is full of childish behavior. Moparts IS name calling, bashing, crying, complaining, boo-hoo'ing. Yes, there are a lot of knuckleheads here that act like this is an extension of their high school days.

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/08/11 10:39 PM

Quote:

This place is full of childish behavior. Moparts IS name calling, bashing, crying, complaining, boo-hoo'ing.

Yeah, but we've got purity of Youtube links for the kids!

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/08/11 11:37 PM

If the shoe fits.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/09/11 12:19 AM

Fram sucks! Doesnt matter if they make ONE DECENT UNIT- The bulk of their lineup is crap and there is proof to back that up. At least when one buys tools from Harbour Freight or Big Lots they know the quality is low- as reflected by the low price. Fram charges the price of a GOOD filter for their GARBAGE!! Pretty sad when the Walmart Brand Supertech filter is BETTER and LESS $$$$ than Fram.
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/09/11 12:30 AM

Quote:

Fram sucks! Doesnt matter if they make ONE DECENT UNIT- The bulk of their lineup is crap and there is proof to back that up. At least when one buys tools from Harbour Freight or Big Lots they know the quality is low- as reflected by the low price. Fram charges the price of a GOOD filter for their GARBAGE!! Pretty sad when the Walmart Brand Supertech filter is BETTER and LESS $$$$ than Fram.

Can't say that is true imo Fram has about 4 or 5 different grands of filters in there line up each 1 has better internals then the next one. Fram gets a bad rap from what is see on the PH series aka the cheapest version Fram makes. People buy the cheapest version thats what happends however to say the whole line of Fram is crap holds no water. From the post about fram i seen i never seen any of the Hp, Xg, DG, and TG series go bad only the Ph versions
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/09/11 12:39 AM

Quote:

If the shoe fits.

It appears to fit you well, it matches your eyes.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/09/11 04:35 AM

The last max-flow performance test at Chrysler Engineering had ALL Chrysler-thread filters opening the bypass valve too soon. Wix was best, but none were good enough. Chrysler had Wix make a special version of their premium filter with a higher bypass setting, but you CANNOT buy it from Wix. Mopar Part number 5038041AA. I believe this is the best street oil filter money can buy. It is labelled "SRT". Comes bagged, then capped, then boxed.

Rick Ehrenberg

Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/09/11 04:44 AM

Quote:

<snip!>
The HP1 filters are some of the best you can find on the shelf. Mopar Action's Rick Ehrenberg uses them on his motors. I trust him.

Make that DID run them -- see my other post / pic.

One comment, and I know I'll get hammered for this, but I can take it. Appearances can be deceiving. The only way to compare oil filters is with flow testing. For 50+ years, Chrysler has made cheap cars that blow away expensive "well made Euro" crap. Clever engineering is the name of the game. If you can take 5 cents out of a product, and it still works as well, or better, you're a clever engineer. Anybody can make good stuff with lots of money backing it up. Fram looks like crap inside, agreed, but seems to do the job.

The only objective test I have ever seen, besides the ones at Chrysler Engineering (again, see my other post), was in Consumer Reports maybe 8 or 10 years ago.

Rick Ehrenberg
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/09/11 05:03 AM

not another one of these threads please!!!!!
buy a filter what ever filter you like and run that , please ,,
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/09/11 11:45 AM

Wix… Fram… You guys are talking about oil filters that are built with paper filter media.

Did you know that oil filters made with paper filter media are 40% blocked as in 40% of the filtering surface won’t flow anything?

Consider looking into oil filters that are made with 100% micro-glass or nano-glass filter media of which there is a couple of manufactures producing them today.

Glass oil filters can filter efficiently down to 10 microns at 100% flow… VS. paper filters; 25 microns at 60% flow.
Posted By: fox

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/09/11 02:50 PM

The Cummins engine uses piston cooling jets.
Many warrantee issues came up years ago and ALL of those cases had the fram filters!!!! They found filter cardboard in the jets and it caused piston failure from heat.
Cummins said no more warrantte if fram is used. Your warrantee goes to fram.

Make a few good filters and the rest junk and some will claim all are good.
Buyer beware.

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/09/11 04:53 PM

Quote:

The Cummins engine uses piston cooling jets.
Many warrantee issues came up years ago and ALL of those cases had the fram filters!!!! They found filter cardboard in the jets and it caused piston failure from heat.
Cummins said no more warrantte if fram is used. Your warrantee goes to fram.

Buyer beware.

I don't think anyone in this thread said all Fram's were good. The biggest gripe is with the PH8A and the rest of the PH line. I even said the only fram I would use was the HP1.

In the end, the facts are out there. Use what you wish!
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/09/11 05:42 PM

I found a case of HP1 frams that I bought over 30 years ago. Is there a shelf life on filters? Should I use them, scrap them or sell them on Ebay LOL?

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/09/11 05:49 PM

Quote:

Buyer beware.

Make mostly good items and have a few junk and people will claim all are junk.

People believe what they want to believe as true.
Posted By: Ron_M

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/09/11 06:29 PM

Quote:

I use everything from Wix / Napa / Carquest and Mopar "090s".

Recently, On a very cold day my father and I went to an event in his 3.9L 01 Dakota, (just about due for an oil change). Everythings was fine going there. Backing out to leave, I noticed an oil slick. I shut off the truck. Checked the dipstick - nothing Started truck and had oil pressure and moved truck back and shut off. . I found a tow truck at the event and towed to local dodge dealer. Somehow, the 090 seal area became warped / breached (I'm thinking water got in there and froze/ expanded). Luckily no engine damage Mechanic asked if I had removed and put back which was no (why would I do that). So in 25 years of doing oil changes I have had 1 090 (BTW it came from WalMart)
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/09/11 09:02 PM

Anyone know anything about the Mopar #0FE00292 filters? They appear to be made by WIX but I don't know for sure, I got 3 of these a while back that I'll probably use next.

They look like the shorter Ph16 size which I need anyways as a PH8 hits my power steering belt on the BB and the headers on a SB.
Posted By: TJ2

Re: Oil filter Wix or Fram? - 03/11/11 08:23 AM

I did a "Filter Look-Up" on the WIX website, and it shows the Mopar SRT filter, part number 5038041AA cross references to the WIX 57063. I did notice that the thread size on this filter is Metric, with it being 22x1.5MM, so you probably wouldn't want to try it on your small or big block.

The principal application is shown to be for the '08-'10 Viper SRT-10 V10 engines.
© 2024 Moparts Forums