Moparts

mini starter where to get

Posted By: president61

mini starter where to get - 03/03/11 04:56 AM

whats the best place to get a mini starter for my 440 coronet?
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/03/11 05:51 AM

Any local parts house.

Get one from a a later model V8 truck.

I tell em it's for a 91 B250 Van W/ a 318.

Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/03/11 05:55 AM

Junkyard late 80's/90's dodge truck/ram van.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/03/11 05:59 AM

There's several Power Master models from www.Summit Racing.com including one model that you can loosen and clock the main body for header clearance issues
Posted By: roe

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/03/11 06:15 AM

Got mine from Autozone. 1990 Dodge Dakota w/ V6. Love it.
Posted By: Danan

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/03/11 06:34 AM

Stay away from the chinese 'clone' starters. They are truly garbage. I can't believe that I'm about to say this, but make sure the starter is....japanese.
Posted By: rss

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/03/11 06:58 AM

Quote:

I can't believe that I'm about to say this, but make sure the starter is....japanese.

Posted By: Evil Monkey

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/03/11 07:13 AM

Quote:

whats the best place to get a mini starter for my 440 coronet?

I'm not sure what part of Minnesota you're in, but if you've got a Fleet Farm near you, give them a try. I just picked up a starter from them (an old school Mopar starter, not the mini) for 33 bucks, which is about 15 bucks less than anywhere I saw on the internet. They also had the mini starters for under 100 bucks, and 440 starters for 36 bucks. Some Fleet Farms have starters and alternators, some don't - I got the starter at the Hudson, WI location, but I've been in other Fleet Farms that don't have starters.
Posted By: roe

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/03/11 03:35 PM

Did I mention that my $118 starter had a lifetime warrany. If it ever quits I just pull it and exchange it at the local autozone. Warranty is nationwide as well.

2cents
roe
Posted By: stubbs300

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/03/11 05:19 PM

Quote:

I've been runnin 2 of them on different vehicles now for over 6 years each. Paid $20 a pop for the boat of them.
Posted By: feets

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/03/11 09:38 PM

Mine was junkyard fresh too.

If the vehicle was wrecked chances are the engine ran all the way to the scene of the crash.
Posted By: DANA60

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/03/11 10:16 PM

Late 80's Ram worked for me from the corner auto parts store

Attached picture 6508198-IMG_3311_1_1_1.JPG
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/04/11 04:59 AM

I also recommend getting one from a local parts place with a lifetime warranty and saving your receipt in a safe place in case your headers cook it etc.
Posted By: therocks

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/04/11 02:40 PM

My 65 has a mini for a 360 mid 90s truck.Its a reman and been in for at least 15 years.The kids car has a new one from 440 Source.Its been in at least 4 years.His was cheaper than my reman.Just remember if you get a reman you need a core.I used my old factory for one.But some parts places are checking them now.Rocky
Posted By: cudaboone

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/04/11 03:14 PM

Robbmac. rotates to any position. Also, you can return for repair if needed any time and you pay only for parts. My 528 kicked and broke the shaft. returned it and had it back in no time with the upgraded shaft. The shaft had been inproved since i bought my original.
Posted By: CR8CRSHR

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/04/11 07:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've been runnin 2 of them on different vehicles now for over 6 years each. Paid $20 a pop for the boat of them.

Same for me. Save a few $$$$'s and get one from your local Pic-N-Pull....

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/04/11 07:10 PM

To me putting a junk yard starter on mine would be like pulling a cam and using it.I have to pull a bunch of stuff with the headers and scatter shield to get it off.That and I didnt spend thousands on the motor to put in a used starter.One thing is you have no idea how many miles is on it.That and most are probally at leats 8 to 10 years old.Thats daily starting use.Rocky
Posted By: Junky

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/04/11 08:45 PM

Quote:

To me putting a junk yard starter on mine would be like pulling a cam and using it.I have to pull a bunch of stuff with the headers and scatter shield to get it off.That and I didnt spend thousands on the motor to put in a used starter.One thing is you have no idea how many miles is on it.That and most are probally at leats 8 to 10 years old.Thats daily starting use.Rocky

Got mine from Autozone for a 1992 Dakota 318. Life time warranty. Been on my engine now for over 5 years.
Posted By: BDW

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/04/11 09:13 PM

All depends on what your time is worth. If you're at the junkyard all the time (I was when younger) maybe save a few bucks.

But at this stage, I'd rather pick it up at parts store and spend the saved time golfing.

My nearest pick-n-pull is 1hr away.
Posted By: stubbs300

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/04/11 11:13 PM

Quote:

One thing is you have no idea how many miles is on it.That and most are probally at leats 8 to 10 years old.Thats daily starting use.Rocky

The starter I swapped out for it was the 40 year old factory orignal that was still fine, so I'm not really worried about it. The mini only had 78,000 when picked. You do what you do, and I'll do what I do!

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/04/11 11:54 PM

Quote:

To me putting a junk yard starter on mine would be like pulling a cam and using it. I have to pull a bunch of stuff with the headers and scatter shield to get it off. That and I didn't spend thousands on the motor to put in a used starter. One thing is you have no idea how many miles is on it. That and most are probably at least 8 to 10 years old. That's daily starting use.Rocky

You know what Rocky? What you say is all well and good. It depends on individual choices I guess. But you would be surprised at how many late model MOPARS are in the pick-n-pulls that have these mini starters in them. That and the fact that 90% of the ones I and Stubbs300 have pulled together have had 100% reliability. Some even look and operate as if brand new. The cost of going to the parts store verses hitting the local pic-n-pull for one thing is far more expensive than doing it DIY from a junk yard. And the $$$'s we have saved has provided many a cold beer after a day junking. I know I cannot convince the majority of the members here to do it on the cheap but if it makes you feel better spending more for the new one verses a used one than have at it. Either way it is all good....It's what makes this hobby fun
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/05/11 12:07 AM

For 45 bucks I bought 3 from the Pull A Part. 2 weren't even dirty they looked an worked like new. Nothing like road tested parts!
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/05/11 12:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

One thing is you have no idea how many miles is on it.That and most are probally at leats 8 to 10 years old.Thats daily starting use.Rocky

The starter I swapped out for it was the 40 year old factory orignal that was still fine, so I'm not really worried about it. The mini only had 78,000 when picked. You do what you do, and I'll do what I do!

I agree. I have seen so few faulty mini's that it isn't really an issue of getting a bad one. And then it has been a set of contacts that are a real low buck easy fix.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/05/11 12:57 AM

Quote:

I would much rather pull a Japanese factory starter from a junker and put new contacts in it than get one of the China built chain store starters
Gus

Attached picture 6510350-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/05/11 01:13 AM

I really don't worry too much about a high mileage starter. It isn't like it is in constant usage. To each their own and have fun.
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/05/11 01:32 AM

Quote:

I really don't worry too much about a high mileage starter. It isn't like it is in constant usage. To each their own and have fun.

fuel injected motors light off much faster (usually) than carb'd engines (no flooding, etc). So mini starters probably see much less hours at a given time than the big old Mopar starters. My pick & pull is 4 years and going strong, out of a 90's van. And mini's are easier to install and remove then the big ones.
Posted By: 340swing

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/05/11 03:26 AM

Got mine at the 440source.com for 99.95 works great no issues starts quick and quite.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/05/11 03:40 AM

Same here...440source for the last 2 builds needing minis...Great piece for the price...All new not rebuilt...

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/05/11 02:05 PM

Its what I said though.My mini was US reman.Its worth my piece of mind to install a new one.The 2 inch tiubes scatter shield etc have to be removed to change mine.That and here people drive their cars till they stop.Salt winter driving and a lot of 150 to 200K cars.If I can spend 8K on the motor I can spend a few bucks for a starter.I agree Ive not seen a buch on Minis bad.But my 96 Concord that I got new has had 2 of them.Everyone does what they want.Not putting anyone down for using a used one.Rocky

Re: mini starter where to get - 03/05/11 04:36 PM

Quote:

Its what I said though.My mini was US reman.Its worth my piece of mind to install a new one.The 2 inch tiubes scatter shield etc have to be removed to change mine.That and here people drive their cars till they stop.Salt winter driving and a lot of 150 to 200K cars.If I can spend 8K on the motor I can spend a few bucks for a starter.I agree Ive not seen a buch on Minis bad.But my 96 Concord that I got new has had 2 of them.Everyone does what they want.Not putting anyone down for using a used one.Rocky

Right you are Rocky... I am in agreement with what you say. Forgot about the part of the country that you would be dealing with if you were to pull one from a junker. Winters in Ohio and the Midwest can put a thumping on cars and parts. Just ask me how I know about that....
© 2024 Moparts Forums