Moparts

engine install in a 2005 magnum r/t awd question

Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

engine install in a 2005 magnum r/t awd question - 03/02/11 10:57 PM

I am looking at a 2005 magnum r/t awd with a blown up hemi. I might be able to get this car for a decent price and use it as a daily driver. So I have a couple of questions.

How big of a pain in the but are they to do?
what is shop time to do this install?
do the engines come out of the top or are they a drop the craddle type?

The guy used the wrong type of oil I guess and blew the motor up. So any advice?

Posted By: Molloy

Re: engine install in a 2005 magnum r/t awd question - 03/02/11 11:38 PM

Don't know, but just make SURE you get a late model (2011) VVT motor/controller from a wrecked truck or something.

Based on chassis dynos the difference between a VVT mill and the previous gen mill (05-10?) is HUUUGE. If you're going to stuff a new motor in there, get the right one.

Could also go for a 392 crate motor?

edit: I would post this question on LX Forums. http://www.lxforums.com/
Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

Re: engine install in a 2005 magnum r/t awd question - 03/03/11 01:07 PM

for the repair guys getting up.
Posted By: motomatt383

Re: engine install in a 2005 magnum r/t awd question - 03/03/11 02:07 PM

I just looked up the flat rate times, 16.8 - 19.8. that's to R&R the engine, with a used used engine. includes swapping an average time for swapping accessories off the old engine onto the new.
before I'm asked. no I'm not a mechanic, so I have no answers other than what I can look up in a flat rate manual.

sorry
Posted By: john55

Re: engine install in a 2005 magnum r/t awd question - 03/03/11 02:24 PM

to R&R engine assembly without transfer of parts 8.4 hrs., to R&R and tranfer parts 10.9 hrs., long block (new or reman) 16.4 hrs., Alldata times, hth... cool car btw, my brother an '06 R/T
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: engine install in a 2005 magnum r/t awd question - 03/03/11 03:26 PM

The right engine is most certainly not a VVT

The vehicle architecture does not support vvt, and there's no easy aftermarket hack way to retrofit it easily.

It might look neat in there and you can brag to your buddies you have a new engine, but it won't even start.

The easiest way is drop the crade and pull everything out the bottom, and the times mentioned above sound about right
Posted By: Molloy

Re: engine install in a 2005 magnum r/t awd question - 03/03/11 04:23 PM

Quote:

The vehicle architecture does not support vvt, and there's no easy aftermarket hack way to retrofit it easily.

OK, well I'm assuming this won't be a plug-and-play deal and that you may have to splice a few harnesses (which may be way more than the OP intended)

If you find a cheap 2011 engine and controller, why couldn't you use it in an 05-10 LX? They're both 5.7s and my understanding (albeit limited) is that most if not all the VVT action happens in the block, since the cam is in the block.

Maybe there would be compatibility issues with a 2011 vvt motor and an 05 trans?

If you can put an LX drivetrain in a 40 year old E body, why can't you use a VVT motor in an 05 LX?
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: engine install in a 2005 magnum r/t awd question - 03/03/11 05:10 PM

I don't know about the '11VVT but I can tell you my 06 R/T AWD runs hard and has run a best of 14.02 (I will be in the 13's this year) with minimal effort. The 05-08 5.7 will run just fine.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: engine install in a 2005 magnum r/t awd question - 03/03/11 06:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

OK, well I'm assuming this won't be a plug-and-play deal and that you may have to splice a few harnesses (which may be way more than the OP intended)

If you find a cheap 2011 engine and controller, why couldn't you use it in an 05-10 LX? They're both 5.7s and my understanding (albeit limited) is that most if not all the VVT action happens in the block, since the cam is in the block.

Maybe there would be compatibility issues with a 2011 vvt motor and an 05 trans?

If you can put an LX drivetrain in a 40 year old E body, why can't you use a VVT motor in an 05 LX?

Because all the electronics communicate with each other on modern vehicles.

It's just a tad bit more work than splicing a couple harnesses....It's more like find a 2011 vehicle, then wreck it by ripping out 99.999% of every electrical part (not just modules....more like damn near everything electrical), somehow hack all of it into the 2005, and even then....
good luck.

The dome lights, the seats, the radio, the cluster, the cruise control, the shifter, the airbags, the column and on and on....damn near everything electrical and everything that runs it....communicates.

That is, assuming he wants it to start, run, and have working electrical devices

Everything's cool Molloy..no disrespect intended....but advice like that is what gets people in huge trouble....he'd have better luck putting a stock 6.1 in it than anything vct/vvt. 2009 and later is an entirely different architecture and it can't just be thrown into anything.

It would be cool if it'd work, but it won't and it would be a ton of work....to make it work
© 2024 Moparts Forums