Moparts

Welders: Welding Cast Iron Bellhousing

Posted By: *440-6BBL*

Welders: Welding Cast Iron Bellhousing - 03/01/11 03:40 PM

I have a 440 bell housing with 2 small cracks, welder says he is finding it cracks at the end of the weld after welding. Has anyone here have experience with these? My welder says he thinks it may not be pure cast iron, possibly an alloy mix. Any help would be great. TIA
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Welders: Welding Cast Iron Bellhousing - 03/01/11 03:43 PM

Did the guy welding it drill the end of the crack to stop the crack from growing ?
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Welders: Welding Cast Iron Bellhousing - 03/01/11 03:47 PM

He needs to V the weld somewhat, and drill a small 1/8" hole at the ends of the cracks to prevent them from spreading,.....I usually use a Chronatron Chronaweld Universal Cast Iron welding rod #333, and stick weld (arc) the V'd out crack, then grind and dress, blend in,...no preheating of any kind needed,.......CC Cast Iron rods are $100 lb,...cheaper rods can be purchased thru Muggy weld

Mike
Posted By: Von

Re: Welders: Welding Cast Iron Bellhousing - 03/01/11 03:48 PM

Sounds to me that he did not heat the parent material correctly, didnt get it hot enough before welding. Id say he just chased the crack to the end of the bellhousing.

Re: Welders: Welding Cast Iron Bellhousing - 03/01/11 05:06 PM

He's using #333 Sodel rod, he wants to know if it's possible that it could be high nickel and stainless content. This guy is a pro welder for many years. thanks
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Welders: Welding Cast Iron Bellhousing - 03/01/11 05:25 PM

Quote:

He's using #333 Sodel rod, he wants to know if it's possible that it could be high nickel and stainless content. This guy is a pro welder for many years. thanks

What bellhousing do you have ?

Re: Welders: Welding Cast Iron Bellhousing - 03/01/11 05:29 PM

69 440 , don't have it here so don't have the p#
Posted By: bomber1965

Re: Welders: Welding Cast Iron Bellhousing - 03/02/11 02:25 AM

watch till the end when they crack an engine block...

heating cast iron

cast iron
© 2024 Moparts Forums