Moparts

Flywheel question

Posted By: jmf340

Flywheel question - 02/20/11 03:26 AM

I have a 69 340 Dart that I will be installing a 4 speed in. My question is which flywheel do I need to use with a stock set up and clutch? Is there an advantage to a heavier (50lb) variety flywheel? What was used from the factory, anyone know?
Posted By: oldiron

Re: Flywheel question - 02/20/11 04:31 AM

http://www.americanpowertrain.com/Mopar/transmissions/flywheel.html
This list the sizes used and available. You might try calling Brewers.

I don't see an advantage to a heavy fw, but the steel fw is lower maintenance then aluminum. hope this helps
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: Flywheel question - 02/20/11 07:14 PM

Quote:

I have a 69 340 Dart that I will be installing a 4 speed in. My question is which flywheel do I need to use with a stock set up and clutch? Is there an advantage to a heavier (50lb) variety flywheel? What was used from the factory, anyone know?

For a stock to mild hp application, with no slicks, the stock 10.5" Borg/Beck style clutch is very adaquate.

A heavier flywheel helps with low end torque but inhibits building rpm's quickly. A 69 dart is not a heavy car, and with 3.55 gears, or higher numerically, you want the motor to spin up quickly. Small blocks that spool up quickly are the most fun.

If you were pulling tree stumps with a 3/4 granny geared 4 speed truck...........a heavy flywheel rules.
Posted By: mike s

Re: Flywheel question - 02/20/11 07:18 PM

10.5 30 lb flywheel should be fine for your app.
© 2024 Moparts Forums