Moparts

Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum??

Posted By: wannadrag

Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/20/11 03:01 AM

Were the originals aluminum?I picked up a car today that came with one for a single carb,cast aluminum base and top.Need to know what its from?

Attached picture 6485178-GetAttachment.jpg
Posted By: hemi_harvester

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/20/11 04:45 AM

NO.They were stamped steel...
Posted By: keith airgrabber

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/20/11 07:06 AM

Wanna sell it ? I have never heard of this. You might have a factory proto-type or something. That's why I love mopar. You never know what kind of weird stuff will pop up next.

Attached picture 6485504-1964pick-up-north014.JPG
Posted By: hemi_harvester

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/20/11 02:28 PM

Please post MORE pictures any numbers or anything cast on it ?

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/20/11 04:52 PM

No numbers or markings cast into it,just some writing with a paint stick on the bottom do not touch.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/20/11 05:07 PM

That is REALLY cool! Not to ask a stupid question but are you SURE its aluminum???

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/20/11 05:13 PM

Yes aluminum and pretty heavy.When i looked at the car it was laying in the back seat and i just assumed it was a painted tin one till i got the car home and looked closer.
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/20/11 05:16 PM

Put a magnet on it, and see if it sticks.
My is you have a bead cleaned upper & lower.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/20/11 05:37 PM

Magnet does not stick and it is a cast type aluminum.I just looked again and no markings whatsoever.What you see is polished aluminum.
Posted By: Yancy Derringer

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/20/11 06:01 PM

I'd say you got a repop that's not such a "pro-re"

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/20/11 08:36 PM

Ok,i guess nothing to special so i will paint it and use it.
Posted By: 69_SIX_PACK

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/20/11 08:46 PM

Could you post a bigger picture of the base with no lid and filter?

Dave

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/20/11 09:37 PM

pics

Attached picture 6486388-MVC-042S.JPG

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/20/11 09:40 PM

another

Attached picture 6486397-MVC-045S.JPG
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/20/11 10:53 PM

I don't know what it is but I'd say it's a factory prototype or something of that nature... Far to well made for a home effort, & if it's a repo then I'd think there would be more of them floating around....

Interesting piece....
Posted By: mccannix

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/21/11 02:18 AM

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to paint it and use it right away until a little more investigating.
Any chance you can get a close-up of the bridge ( the top bracket ) and how it is connected to the base.
Original steel ones were spotwelded which cannot be the case here.
Is that an aluminum weld on the rear passenger side and again on the rear corner.
Thanks in advance

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/21/11 02:22 AM

Yep that is a weld on the corner and the bridge is the same material as the rest of it and is welded to the base.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/21/11 03:22 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to paint it and use it right away until a little more investigating.

Attached picture 6487089-mopartsaj.jpg

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/21/11 03:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Will do till you guys figure out what i have.
Posted By: NicksGarage

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/21/11 05:47 AM

That's pretty neat. Never seen anything like it.
Posted By: 69_SIX_PACK

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/21/11 04:02 PM

Where and what did the fellow you bought it off say it was for/found?

Pretty interesting if someone made it up from scratch or if it was some sort of prototype.

Dave
Posted By: Day2Runner

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/21/11 05:19 PM

is it for a 383 or 440 ??
sitting flat ona work bench the 383 version will set on the neck the 440 version will set on the base just sayin
DH

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/21/11 06:35 PM

Came with a 70 RR i picked up this past weekend,owner was a gm guy and had no clue of any of the specifics of it.It is sitting on the base in the pic so it would be for a 440.
Posted By: GTXX

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 12:00 AM

My guess is that someone had the capability to cast in aluminum, had access to some original pieces, so they made a mold from them and cast them. It appears that the base has the wrinkles/wavy places the formed sheet metal parts do. Probably worked third shift.......

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 12:15 AM

Quote:

My guess is that someone had the capability to cast in aluminum, had access to some original pieces, so they made a mold from them and cast them. It appears that the base has the wrinkles/wavy places the formed sheet metal parts do. Probably worked third shift.......

Maybe,but why?Looks to be aged and at the time a factory type one could most likely be found pretty reasonable priced.
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 01:03 AM

A long time ago, there was a guy here in the bay erea that had some interesting parts. He used to race chrysler products and had a few connections in the inner circle for some interesting stuff. One thing he had was a 1970 Challenger door with an aluminum skin and inner shell looked like it was either thinner gauge metal or aluminum. One set was known to be in the SF erea, while the ones I saw were in castro valley.

The reason I brought that up, is that chrysler was know to 'cheat' like some other manufactures sponsoring racers. In a stock class racing, any weight savings is a plus and everything was trimmed away as best as possible. If you look at the lower air cleaner, it looks to be done too well for a home job. Someone working at a foundry or someone at chrysler could have done it. Not a current reporduction, as it would cost too much energy and cash to make a limited run.

My personal opinion, I would dust it off, take several detailed pics and then send to several vintage mopar racers/restore folks. You may have found something that is truly unique, so have it checked out before you change the history on it.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 01:14 AM

Quote:

A long time ago, there was a guy here in the bay erea that had some interesting parts. He used to race chrysler products and had a few connections in the inner circle for some interesting stuff. One thing he had was a 1970 Challenger door with an aluminum skin and inner shell looked like it was either thinner gauge metal or aluminum. One set was known to be in the SF erea, while the ones I saw were in castro valley.

The reason I brought that up, is that chrysler was know to 'cheat' like some other manufactures sponsoring racers. In a stock class racing, any weight savings is a plus and everything was trimmed away as best as possible. If you look at the lower air cleaner, it looks to be done too well for a home job. Someone working at a foundry or someone at chrysler could have done it. Not a current reporduction, as it would cost too much energy and cash to make a limited run.

My personal opinion, I would dust it off, take several detailed pics and then send to several vintage mopar racers/restore folks. You may have found something that is truly unique, so have it checked out before you change the history on it.

I think Miguel is on the right track..
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 02:08 AM

Neat piece and hope you find out the history on it. But like Miquel said it could be really unique. Many years ago I found a set of factory fiberglass fenders for a 73-4 Satellite..I didn't buy them but they were literally exact copies including the support for the heal the headlight bucket area and they even had a pentastar and part # on them. Even had the stud that is on the topside back by the cowl was there...They were beautiful inside and out. The guy had the doors there too and they were original paint that matched these fenders he said he knew the car from the mid 80's and there were original...I wish I had bought them as I have NEVER seen or heard of another set....

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 03:27 AM

Quote:

I think this is the most likely scenario but
I doubt it is any form of factory Chrysler prototype.
The area for the rear nipple has been eliminated indicating it may have been intended for a race engine.
Perhaps Mr. Norm's had some involvement as something to go along with the aluminum Tri-Power air cleaner they were associated with.
Still a cool piece.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 03:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The area for the rear nipple has been eliminated indicating it may have been intended for a race engine.
Perhaps Mr. Norm's had some involvement as something to go along with the aluminum Tri-Power air cleaner they were associated with.
Still a cool piece.

But isn't this piece heavier than a stock stamped steel lower base? I mean, quite significantly heavier??

Why would a racer want a piece of lead like that on the front of his motor that looks almost stock? or

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 03:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Still a cool piece.

But isn't this piece heavier than a stock stamped steel lower base? I mean, quite significantly heavier??

Why would a racer want a piece of lead like that on the front of his motor that look almost stock? or

Yes it is heavy,just guessing 20 lbs total top and bottom

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 04:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Still a cool piece.

Why would a racer want a piece of lead like that on the front of his motor that look almost stock? or

Yes it is heavy,just guessing 20 lbs total top and bottom

How much additional weight do you think JUST the cast base it over stock stamped steel?

The top lid is just a factory stamped steal, right?

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 04:09 AM

Top is cast as well,same material as the base.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 04:16 AM

Quote:

Top is cast as well,same material as the base.

OMG, they casted the top!

Would there be anyone/situation that would want 15 or so extra pounds on the front of their car without anyone knowing??

Possibly for a temporary moment in time, then a stock air cleaner could be swapped on that was lighter. Or you could do what your objective was without the air cleaner?

Or maybe 15 lbs on the front of the car could be an advantage toward something?

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 04:17 AM

I think it was out the back door drag racing parts made by Mopar for factory drag teams like Sox & Martin or hey maybe the RamChargers and BTW I think S&M ran a 69 GTX heresa picture of a 69 383 version for comparison note the crankcase hose nipple location compared to the s m version someone madea mold and made that
case solved
now
DH

Attached picture 6489482-P1010050.JPG
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 04:21 AM

I wonder what the two legs on the bottom/front of the base are for? In the photo they look angled the same way.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 04:42 AM

those look like casting ports i dont see any casting flashing does anyone else ?? I do see a reapir that happen hence the dont touch and drop you DAs

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 04:43 AM

Ok, if I put myself in the shoes of a Chrysler Engineer tasked to make a aircleaner that connects the motor to the hood, I think I'd have to make some type of prototype to test it. I mean, what happens when a motor mount blows out, does it make any contact in normal driving, how do you test the seals for fitment, what happens when/if water gets in there, etc, etc.

So if you made a prototype or test rig, what would you make it from in the late 60's? Wood, fiberglass, sculpted clay, have it stamped out, or something else??? I would not think you could have it stamped out because the stamped dies would be too expensive to scrap if there were major changes?? Opinions??

Doesn't mean this one is a prototype. But would anyone agree that some type of prototype/test piece was probably made by Chrysler, and not out of stamped steel??
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 04:49 AM

O/T - but would look really cool polished.

Of course I wouldn't if its valuable.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 05:00 AM

Quote:

I wonder what the two legs on the bottom/front of the base are for? In the photo they look angled the same way.

I think you guys are right about it being too heavy for drag race application. Now, what it, it was to be a display at one of the trade shows to promote chrysler's new line? Those legs might be used to angle air cleaner to be more viewable on a display.

We can guess all day about this, but this has really got to be one of the coolest finds of the new year. Oh, be sure to question the guy you bought the car from, maybe he can help shed some info on whom had the car before and they might be able to fill in some blanks.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 05:34 AM

I sent a message off to someone I know who was an engineer in Chrysler's air cleaner lab back then to see if he has an idea about it.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 05:38 AM

Quote:

I sent a message off to someone I know who was an engineer in Chrysler's air cleaner lab back then to see if he has an idea about it.

Cool, smart idea and neat connection.

Disregarding this aircleaner, if Chrysler would ever make cast aluminum test air cleaners. Or what would they make them out of?

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/22/11 04:06 PM

If pics are needed go ahead and use the posted ones if it will help.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/23/11 09:32 PM

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/24/11 03:56 AM

I haven't heard anything back yet.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/25/11 05:34 PM

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/25/11 06:24 PM

Quote:

It could be years/decades/never?.......have fun with the car, hang the aircleaner on the wall, it may be your winning "lottery ticket" someday, get a repro steel unit

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/27/11 08:47 PM

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 02/28/11 02:39 AM

I haven't heard back from my contact yet. His wife tells me he's out of town and will get back to me in a few days.
Posted By: dangina

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/01/11 09:30 AM

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/02/11 10:54 AM

waiting to see what they say.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/02/11 04:19 PM

Another forum i posted this on thought maybe early nascar to maybe add some weight to the front?

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/02/11 06:25 PM

Quote:

Another forum i posted this on thought maybe early nascar to maybe add some weight to the front?

Nascar rules "back in the day" did not alow any venting of hoods, or forced induction (ram-air) hood systems, systems stealing air from the cowl boundary layer were allowed however,...so I would say that cancels out the NASCAR theory

My theory is it may be a pre production peice/prototype for a vendor to have tooled off of for production of the actual stamping dies,....basically what one referes to as reverse engineering, the factory as well as it "skunk" work divisions made hundreds of prototype pcs and whole car mock ups for decades

Mike

Attached picture 6506080-71chargerprottyperear.jpg

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/02/11 06:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nascar rules "back in the day" did not alow any venting of hoods, or forced induction (ram-air) hood systems, systems stealing air from the cowl boundary layer were allowed however,...so I would say that cancels out the NASCAR theory

My theory is it may be a pre production peice/prototype for a vendor to have tooled off of for production of the actual stamping dies,....basically what one referes to as reverse engineering, the factory as well as it "skunk" work divisions made hundreds of prototype pcs and whole car mock ups for decades

Mike

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/04/11 04:10 PM

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/06/11 04:59 PM

Still after more info on this.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/09/11 01:58 AM

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/09/11 02:45 AM

Gotta give ya props for being persistent...

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/09/11 04:09 AM

I'm still waiting to hear back from my contact. Some of these contacts you don't want to annoy as they're very hard to find.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/09/11 04:21 AM

Quote:

I'm still waiting to hear back from my contact. Some of these contacts you don't want to annoy as they're very hard to find.

Very true... Hopefully he will find this air cleaner as interesting as some of us do...

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/12/11 02:14 AM

Back up for the weekend

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/19/11 02:07 AM

Friday bump

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/19/11 03:05 AM

I'll try him again. His wife gave me the brush off last time I tried.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/19/11 05:16 AM

I think your best bet, as someone mentioned eariler is to email a few pics to Rob Wolfe/ Randy Holden at MCG,.....the range of individuals seeing it in print would probally get you answer, and maybe an offer you can't refuse quicker

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/19/11 03:38 PM

Email with pics sent off to MCG.I will let you guys know if i get any sort of reply as to what it is.

Attached picture 6537943-GetAttachment.jpg

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/19/11 08:49 PM

Have to wait a bit longer, found out he's out of the country on a motorcycle tour and won't be back until mid April. He says he'll get back to me then.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/26/11 02:48 AM

No news so back up to the top

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/27/11 01:22 PM

another friendly bump to keep it alive.
Posted By: express

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/27/11 05:45 PM

Having worked in a foundry for 25 years my money is that it was made by an employee on the side. I made lots of things this way.
If you had an air cleaner to use as a pattern it is very possible. Put it in a box, fill it with core sand, let it cure, turn it over, remove the air cleaner. Do the same for the other side, clean it up, drill a hole & make a gate for the metal to go in, drill a couple of vents, paste the halves together & pour. Done!

The 2 posts look like part of the gate where it was poured, or it could be vents. It probably should have been ground off when it was made.
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/27/11 06:13 PM

possibly a marine air cleaner? dan
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/27/11 07:08 PM

Quote:

What do you think it's worth ?

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/27/11 07:12 PM

250.00 ish... its neat.. dan

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/27/11 07:13 PM

possible its off a jensen interceptor SP?
Posted By: Dodge

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/27/11 09:11 PM

I need it

Attached picture 6552659-Aircleaners003(800x600).jpg

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/28/11 02:32 AM

Quote:

I tend to agree with the statement made by "express".
It is likely just something made up by someone who had the time and capabilities to do it.
My contact at Fram in Canada where all the Chrysler air cleaners where manufactured, and who worked in the hobby shop design area, told me they never had a need to have anything aluminum like that in house.
Everything including prototypes was steel as per design blueprint.
Also I doubt it's a marine air cleaner......here's a real deal metal marine 440-6 air cleaner.
Anyone else one have one of these?

Attached picture 6553299-marine3.jpg

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/28/11 03:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It is likely just something made up by someone who had the time and capabilities to do it.
My contact at Fram in Canada where all the Chrysler air cleaners where manufactured, and who worked in the hobby shop design area, told me they never had a need to have anything aluminum like that in house.
Also I doubt it's a marine air cleaner......here's a real deal metal marine 440-6 air cleaner.

That sounds like a pretty darn good source.

I'd think there's still a slight possibility of something done on the Chrysler side; like styling dept. Pretty slight at this point.

Mccannix, do you think your source seals the deal or would another non-Fram 2nd source make things more concrete.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/28/11 03:59 AM

I'm just relating what was told to me by the original manufacturer.
Any and all opinions are obviously welcome as it is a pretty neat piece.
Here's hoping some others posting here earlier have additional info to add.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/28/11 04:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Does your contact at Fram know anything about the painting of the air cleaners, especially the wrinkle ones? My contact from Chrysler said that Canadian Fram did the whole thing.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 03/28/11 12:40 PM

Quote:

Does your contact at Fram know anything about the painting of the air cleaners, especially the wrinkle ones? My contact from Chrysler said that Canadian Fram did the whole thing.

I'll try to talk to him this week and get an answer to that question.
I'm quite sure he told me once that they outsourced any specialized paint procedures.
They painted all the black enamel bases and orange lids but had trouble getting the argent paint to lay down on the shaker scoops and after the first 100 or so, sent them elsewhere for painting.
Same may be true for the wrinkle finish air cleaners.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 04/02/11 03:12 AM

Weekend bump

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 04/06/11 09:24 PM

Ok, here you go, mystery not solved...

"Looking at the 3 pictures you sent, I don't recall any cast aluminum parts we did in production. These look like just like the sheet metal parts made in production by Canadian Fram in Chatham Ontario, but if these really are cast aluminum, someone made them based on the production parts. This would be a lot of effort.

Even has the two-hole mounting boss for the heated air temp sensor used on the production part.
And, I'd be surprised if these parts weighed any less than the steel pieces. Why don't you check...

You need to get in touch with an old Dodge/Plymouth factory drag racer who was involved during the early '70s. How about someone from the Sox & Martin race team?"

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 04/06/11 11:02 PM

Quote:

Ok, here you go, mystery not solved...

"Looking at the 3 pictures you sent, I don't recall any cast aluminum parts we did in production. These look like just like the sheet metal parts made in production by Canadian Fram in Chatham Ontario, but if these really are cast aluminum, someone made them based on the production parts. This would be a lot of effort.

Even has the two-hole mounting boss for the heated air temp sensor used on the production part.
And, I'd be surprised if these parts weighed any less than the steel pieces. Why don't you check...

You need to get in touch with an old Dodge/Plymouth factory drag racer who was involved during the early '70s. How about someone from the Sox & Martin race team?"

There was a heated sensor on the AIR GRABBER Air cleaner ???? Never seen one with one , no need for it it's not like it have a heat stove like the other models that year ?

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 04/09/11 02:08 PM

Back up

Attached picture 6576406-GetAttachment.jpg

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 04/16/11 12:08 AM

Again
Posted By: A12

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 04/16/11 12:53 AM

Magazine Road Test Ringer...............bet if you found the test car it was on that's not the only light weight item you'd find

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 04/16/11 02:39 PM

If it helps i was told the car spent its entire life in eastern WI.The previous 2 owners had the car for around 15 years.The air grabber came with it and they know nothing about it.So its been with the car for some time.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 04/16/11 04:09 PM

Quote:

Magazine Road Test Ringer...............bet if you found the test car it was on that's not the only light weight item you'd find

With this in mind have you actually weighed the base and the top ?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 04/16/11 04:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

With this in mind have you actually weighed the base and the top ?

The OP posted:
"Yes aluminum and pretty heavy.When i looked at the car it was laying in the back seat and i just assumed it was a painted tin one till i got the car home and looked closer. "

This item's original purpose has NOTHING to do with weight-savings.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 04/21/11 12:08 AM

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 05/07/11 03:11 PM

bump

Attached picture 6621775-GetAttachment.jpg
Posted By: Dodge

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 05/07/11 03:31 PM

Attached picture 6621796-AirCleanerCollection004(800x600).jpg

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 05/09/11 01:26 PM

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 05/10/11 07:04 AM

This has got to be the bumpiest thread I ever did see.

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 05/10/11 07:13 AM

Bumpy yes but really an interesting piece... I think everyone would really like to know the story....

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 05/15/11 03:21 AM

Quote:

Bumpy yes but really an interesting piece... I think everyone would really like to know the story....

Me too

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 07/27/11 02:01 AM

bumpity bump
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 07/27/11 02:26 AM

Ok, this doesn't really add to the info on the cast air cleaner setup but it's a related post anyway.

This is an aluminum Shaker Hood Adapter Ring, it's exactly like an original but lacks the welded in drain tubes, etc. The outer lip is rolled the same way as the steel versions. I bought it from a friend who does not know where it originated. It's possible that it was a factory part made from the original molds, or made in one of the 2 reproduction molds that I know of (Gene Gregory or Ben Snobars) I can't say. But one thing's for sure, it's cool! Domingo found one years ago on ebay (may have been the base plate, I forget?) so I'm pretty sure others exist, just never see them.

Attached picture 6748394-AluminumShakerAdapterRingA.jpg
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 07/27/11 02:26 AM

underside

Attached picture 6748395-ShakerAdpaterRingAluminumB.jpg

Re: Air grabber air cleaner base and top????Cast aluminum?? - 07/27/11 12:14 PM

Cool piece Scott. I doubt it is a factory piece because they had the seven outer 7/16 inch stamped holes to accomodate the seven chamfered nuts that were welded on. Both Geans' and Bens' have the smaller 3/16 inch holes, as yours appears to have.
Neither repro use these correct nuts, plus there are other telltale signs between repro and real.
Maybe I'm seeing your picture wrong but the holes look smaller.
Let us know.

Attached picture 6748876-adapterbot1.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums