Moparts

Correct caliper position

Posted By: 4404dart

Correct caliper position - 02/20/11 01:08 AM

Does this look right? 69 Dart, with 73 or so disc brakes. Single piston caliper. It seems funny with the bleeder is at the bottom of the caliper piston? Will the brake line work?
Thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Correct caliper position - 02/20/11 01:32 AM

Yes you'd need a caliper w the bleeder on top maybe an F body app & best is to have the caliper on the opposite side that the hardline/flex hose tab is on which for you would be to have the calipers in the front. As is you'd want to check the hose from lock to lock & get a diff or a custom hose if any probs there but that particular caliper will not ever bleed out in that position. Do you have a front sway bar & that's why you went rear mount? Was a post on lengthening or shortening sway bar links I forget which to allow front calipers w a sway bar
Posted By: moparts

Re: Correct caliper position - 02/20/11 01:32 AM

NO, caliper is on the wrong side

Bleeder needs to be at top, and the whole set up does work better for brake line routing if the caliper is in front and line runs between the ball joints. Like the car that that set up came off of.
Posted By: crlush

Re: Correct caliper position - 02/20/11 01:34 AM

on my 74 valiant, the calipers are mounted in front of the spindle, you can run them that way its not a problem but you will have to switch the calipers so the bleeders are on the top, check the hoses to make shure they dont rub or pinch anything.
Posted By: 4404dart

Re: Correct caliper position - 02/20/11 01:39 AM

Thanks, no sway bar. I bought the car all apart. Just trying to put it back together, some things have been awhile for me to remember?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Correct caliper position - 02/20/11 03:43 AM

Quote:

Just trying to put it back together, some things have been awhile for me to remember?

It's gonna get worse , I would split the upper/lower ball joints w the proper puller to save the boots and not marr the tapered shafts & switch the spindles from side to side so the caliper mount is in the front & get the right calipers if those ain't right (bleeder up) when you mock them up on the switched spindles. This'll place the hose corect (opposite the tab) and if you need a slightly longer hose use them from a '78 volare and cut off PART of the metal bracket crimped on the middle of the hose, cut off the flat mounting bracket part & leave the part encircling the hose as it is very hard to get off WO damaging the hose.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Correct caliper position - 02/20/11 05:51 AM

I haven't had a problem with the hoses like that. Just swap the calipers and be done with it. If you add a sway bar later you'll already have the clearance for it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums