Moparts

Rear main seal installation question ???

Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Rear main seal installation question ??? - 02/03/11 06:03 PM

Do I install it with the high lip facing(closest to) the crankshaft or facing the back of the block? Any other installation suggestions?
Thanks Mike
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Rear main seal installation question ??? - 02/03/11 06:15 PM

The sharp edge of the lip goes toward the engine. That way when the oil hits the seal it will be pushed away from the crank not directed along it to the outside.
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: Rear main seal installation question ??? - 02/03/11 06:39 PM

Thanks Stumpy, any more installation recommendations???
Mike
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Rear main seal installation question ??? - 02/03/11 06:52 PM

lip toward oil so that any internal force from oil pan will push the lip out against the sealing surface. The other way the oil would push down on the outer tapered surface and push the sealing surface away.
Posted By: BIGHOOK

Re: Rear main seal installation question ??? - 02/05/11 12:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks Stumpy, any more installation recommendations???
Mike

Apply a small dab of Hi-Temp RTV sealer at the ends of the seal half on the main bearing cap. Just a little additional cheap insurance against any future oil leaks.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Rear main seal installation question ??? - 02/05/11 01:58 AM

Anybody have any opinion on smoothing the crank serrations when using this seal rather than the rope that was OE. I would have your shop take .010" off of the retainer in their rod cap grinder
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Rear main seal installation question ??? - 02/05/11 02:53 AM

I've never done anything with the crank serrations on the 4 engines I've put together, none of them had any leak from there.
Posted By: MoparDonny

Re: Rear main seal installation question ??? - 02/05/11 02:54 AM

I have not had much rear main seal luck with big blocks in the last couple years. Stock retainer and 3 different seals, all leaked. Thinking maybe the crank but it shouldn't leak as bad as it did with a few thou taken off the seal surface. Then my dad had a beeotch of a time with a stock 383, leaked like crazy. Never had problems until the last 2 years or so. Mine leaks just a little but that is still too much for me.........I'm sick of changing rear mains though so I live with it for now. Doing this twice on the floor inside of 50 miles of putting the new engine in gets a bit tiring.

Attached picture 6457590-IMG_2560.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums