Moparts

pertronix ready to run distributor?

Posted By: 440forPOWER

pertronix ready to run distributor? - 01/15/11 08:49 PM

Anyone running the Pertronix ready to run distributor? Any issues? I like the idea of not having to mount an ignition box but haven't heard much about these. Any opinions? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-D7142800/ Thanks
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: pertronix ready to run distributor? - 01/15/11 08:57 PM

I have always just removed the points and stuck in the Petronix module as it's so easy even i can do it. I would think the readymade unit would only be needed if you do not have an exising distributer maybe??
Posted By: 440forPOWER

Re: pertronix ready to run distributor? - 01/15/11 09:06 PM

Hello, Yeah I need a distributor anyway. Have you ever had any problems with them?
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: pertronix ready to run distributor? - 01/15/11 09:26 PM

Quote:

Hello, Yeah I need a distributor anyway. Have you ever had any problems with them?

Never but then i always carry an extra one just in case!
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: pertronix ready to run distributor? - 01/15/11 09:36 PM

ive removed a few fom customer cars and gone with msd...i had one in my mustang and it broke up over 4grand...ok for a put put driver but in a performance ap id go msd
Posted By: six-barrel

Re: pertronix ready to run distributor? - 01/15/11 11:32 PM

It should have the Pertronix Ignitor III module in it, which features double strike 40-45KV, rev limiter all under the cap.

I've played with the module (phasing was bad) but not their distributor.
Posted By: Darter6

Re: pertronix ready to run distributor? - 01/16/11 12:25 AM

Never used their distributor but many of their kits. I and II.
The next I buy will be the III. Now this is just my experience but have run the I in two different cars on the track and both took 6 grand shifts no problem. With the II you by-pass the ballast but must upgrade the coil to a 0.6 ohm.The III works with a .032 ohm coil.
I didn't change the coil on the first II and the car ran like crap. The old saying "when all else fails read the directions" did apply that time. I too carried a spair but in 10+years none have failed. So I guess the quality of their distributor should be as high.
© 2024 Moparts Forums