Moparts

340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy?

Posted By: sixpaktoogo

340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/15/11 03:39 AM

Where can I buy the correct steel intake gaskets for a 340?

Thanks, Dan
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/15/11 06:07 AM

Often times when I need a few gaskets I usually just buy a set, since it is often cheaper. The Fel Pro set in a box usually has the thin steel gaskets inside as well as the blue composite ones.

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/15/11 11:20 AM

Quote:

The Fel Pro set in a box usually has the thin steel gaskets inside as well as the blue composite ones.

Not any more! Same with Victor.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/15/11 01:16 PM

Most of thin steel gaskets I have seen are 318 port size.

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/15/11 01:19 PM

Most that I remember seeing of the thin steel intake small block gaskets are 318 port size.
Posted By: 68GTS383

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/15/11 02:42 PM

Check with your local Dodge dealership. I have purchased alot of hard to find stuff thru them.I will say that the local dealership has an old school parts manager.He actually used to sell parts without a damn computer.Most parts counter people now know nothing about parts!
I called my local Napa yesterday looking for 318 valve cover gaskets and his first question: is it two or four wheel drive? Does that piss anyone else off or is it just me?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/15/11 03:26 PM

just you JK

yep I have only seen them for small port 318s myself

I use a fel-pro #1213 with heat block off,IIRC

victor gasket set was the last time I saw any,been a while

i run 360 heads most times anyways,only when swaping a 2-v to 4-v do I run the 318 heads

but I am running a small port LD4B on large port heads
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/15/11 04:10 PM

The 340 came with paper/composite gaskets from the factory. I don`t think mopar ever offered them in steel except for the 318. Why? Who knows? May I ask why are you looking for steel gaskets? There are much better choices out there now. The mopar part number for the gasket in 1973 is 3514187 and for 70-71 2808689. Brads nos has the latter.

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/15/11 05:01 PM

Quote:

but I am running a small port LD4B on large port heads

Ran this combo myself for a few years and ran in the 11.90's -12.0 with it. No gasket matching or anything. Alwaysed Used the large port composite gaskets for a better sealing surface with no problems. The tin ones have minimal sealing surface.

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/15/11 05:25 PM

Quote:

The 340 came with paper/composite gaskets from the factory. I don`t think mopar ever offered them in steel except for the 318. Why? Who knows? May I ask why are you looking for steel gaskets? There are much better choices out there now. The mopar part number for the gasket in 1973 is 3514187 and for 70-71 2808689. Brads nos has the latter.

I have two 340 engines. One 68, and one 70. Both were never apart, and both had steel gaskets with McCord part numbers on them. The 318 (2 barrel) versions are available (small port). The composite gasket sticks up past the manifold, and in a OE restoration, as I am doing, looks terrible, and is incorrect.

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/15/11 06:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have two 340 engines. One 68, and one 70. Both were never apart, and both had steel gaskets with McCord part numbers on them. The 318 (2 barrel) versions are available (small port). The composite gasket sticks up past the manifold, and in a OE restoration, as I am doing, looks terrible, and is incorrect.

So is the LD4B intake. It was Never OEM

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/15/11 09:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Can't understand your response to my last statement. I believe your comment is in response to the member that stated he is using a LD4B, which I am not.

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/15/11 10:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Can't understand your response to my last statement. I believe your comment is in response to the member that stated he is using a LD4B, which I am not.

You are right- I am sorry. Please accept my apology.
Posted By: Gt383

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/15/11 11:22 PM

At either rate, I agree ....the fel-pro modern gaskets cuts are horrible!!! They do not look right covering the heads the way they do.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/16/11 12:19 AM

Quote:

The part number 2808689 most likely is the part you need but Brads is going want a lot for them. Not worth it for something you won`t see as not all the gaskets available for the 340 stick up above the intake. I would not chance steel ones for sealing anyways. Oh well it`s your car and money so do what you wish. Just trying to help.
Posted By: johnedod

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/16/11 03:58 AM

Maybe you could mark and trim the composite gasket so it doesn't protrude past the intake before you install it. Or if the 318 steel gaskets have enough meat maybe take a die grinder and do a port match and use them. Just a couple of "if all else fails" options.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 340 Steel Intake Gaskets - Where to Buy? - 01/16/11 10:53 AM

Quote:

I called my local Napa yesterday looking for 318 valve cover gaskets and his first question: is it two or four wheel drive? Does that piss anyone else off or is it just me?

NO, It is NOT just you.
This is the symptom of an IDIOT counterman. Smart and experienced people know that in many cases, ALL roads will lead back to the same part and they will NOT ask stupid questions like.....
Customer: Hey... I need a upper radiator hose for a 74 Dodge 3/4 ton 2 wd with a 440.
Idiot: 2 door?
Customer: Uhhh, yeah.
Idiot: Regular cab?
Customer: Uhhh, sure.
Idiot: Air Conditioning?
Customer: No.
Idiot: Power steering?
Customer: Yes, but why does tha...
Idiot: Automatic or manual?
Customer: It doesnt matter.
Idiot stares at customer until customer responds with...
Customer: Auto
Idiot: Am/Fm?
Customer: Now come on, I only need a radiator ho.......
Idiot: I dont have it in stock, its in our warehouse in Usuckestan. I can have it here thursday.....
© 2024 Moparts Forums