Moparts

NE1 know whrere I can find LH bolts for OEM ring gear?

Posted By: bb74swngr

NE1 know whrere I can find LH bolts for OEM ring gear? - 01/15/11 03:31 AM

Installing a SG in a formerly open 741 chunk. A few of the ring gear bolts seemed to have bottomed out when installed at the factory. When I removed them the first 1/4" of threads were messed up on some of them. I don't know if I should just replace the messed up bolts or order a bottoming tap to clean up the ring gear. Any suggestions?

I do need some new bolts though...

Russ:)
Posted By: biginchmotor

Re: NE1 know whrere I can find LH bolts for OEM ring gear? - 01/15/11 03:53 AM

Try this Mopar part #: P4529163...John.
Posted By: dmerc

Re: NE1 know whrere I can find LH bolts for OEM ring gear? - 01/15/11 03:26 PM

I bought a quality bottoming tap and it wouldn't even scratch that steel. I had to grind the bolts shorter and reuse them. They took the correct torque so should be OK. Some pretty crappy quality control from Mopar.

Quote:

Installing a SG in a formerly open 741 chunk. A few of the ring gear bolts seemed to have bottomed out when installed at the factory. When I removed them the first 1/4" of threads were messed up on some of them. I don't know if I should just replace the messed up bolts or order a bottoming tap to clean up the ring gear. Any suggestions?

Posted By: bb74swngr

Re: NE1 know whrere I can find LH bolts for OEM ring gear? - 01/15/11 07:36 PM

Thank you David! Think I will do just as you did and take some length off the bolts. I tried using a punch to mark the two bad holes and flattened the punch each time...that is some hard stuff. You saved me some $ on taps and I really appreciate the time you took to comment. Take care:)
Russ...

Quote:

I bought a quality bottoming tap and it wouldn't even scratch that steel. I had to grind the bolts shorter and reuse them. They took the correct torque so should be OK. Some pretty crappy quality control from Mopar.

Quote:

© 2024 Moparts Forums