Moparts

chrysler techs need help

Posted By: GarageDodge

chrysler techs need help - 01/14/11 03:04 AM

My son has a 2008 ram 1500,went to start it wont turn over,dash lights up,battery fully charged,if he unhooks battery &then hooks it back up it will start right. This has happened twice in the last 3 months,dealer has no idea,I say must be in the security system or pcm,sorta hard i am in ny hes in fla. any help is appreciated,thanks.
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: chrysler techs need help - 01/14/11 03:17 AM

usually if its security it will disable the spark or fuel...
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: chrysler techs need help - 01/14/11 03:20 AM

replace key
or use another key
Posted By: Blown71X

Re: chrysler techs need help - 01/14/11 04:59 AM

Typically this is due to "lockup" of the WCM/SKREEM (wireless control module), There is a TSB for this.
The easy way to tell if that IS the problem is to see if the keyless entry is also not functioning (If it has keyless) as when the WCM goes non responsive, the keyless entry will also quit.
Pulling the IOD fuse (number 11 under hood IIRC) for at least 10 seconds will clear the WCM and verify the problem if it starts after this (No need to discon the battery)
What causes this is static discharge from the person thru the key, it locks up the module and you are done.
The module will have to be replaced with the updated one to fix it.

Reference TSB 08-007-08

The keys have NOTHING to do with this as even with a bad or incorrect key it will still start and die 3 times before security lockout will prevent cranking

Rick
Posted By: C-Tech

Re: chrysler techs need help - 01/14/11 03:43 PM

Quote:

Typically this is due to "lockup" of the WCM/SKREEM (wireless control module), There is a TSB for this.
The easy way to tell if that IS the problem is to see if the keyless entry is also not functioning (If it has keyless) as when the WCM goes non responsive, the keyless entry will also quit.
Pulling the IOD fuse (number 11 under hood IIRC) for at least 10 seconds will clear the WCM and verify the problem if it starts after this (No need to discon the battery)
What causes this is static discharge from the person thru the key, it locks up the module and you are done.

Reference TSB 08-007-08

The keys have NOTHING to do with this as even with a bad or incorrect key it will still start and die 3 times before security lockout will prevent cranking

Rick

Listen to Rick he knows what he is talking about
Posted By: GarageDodge

Re: chrysler techs need help - 01/14/11 06:37 PM

Thanks for the help Rick,yes the keyless wont work when this happens,passed this info to my son.thanks again Joe.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: chrysler techs need help - 01/15/11 04:10 AM

dumb question,,
if this went to a dealer ,, why didnt the
dealer fix this issue?
they know of this tsb
maybe just waiting for warranty to expire??
i disrregarded the tsb because it had been to a dealer?
Posted By: 383man

Re: chrysler techs need help - 01/15/11 05:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Reference TSB 08-007-08

Rick

Listen to Rick he knows what he is talking about

Ah come on Rick is just another dumb Chrysler tech. Just fooling as I know he knows his stuff. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums