Moparts

What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing?

Posted By: 70B5Cuda

What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 02:47 AM

I am looking for a tough finish for the axle/rearend housing? What would be toughest-enamel/urethane/epoxy?

And how would the toughest compare to a powdercoat?
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 03:03 AM

I just sand blasted and used rustoleum gloss black with a couple rattle cans of color myself,daily driveing and a floor jack is about as hard as I get on a rear axle now days,just in it for the looks

but powder coating is tuff,but harder to touch up chips and nicks

4x4? I have seen the sprayed bed liner on axle housings before,that was different and look some what good,the rest of the rig had it in the floor/cab/bed

Attached picture 6414261-smilyface.jpg
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 03:04 AM

Besides powdercoating, I have had excellent luck on all sorts of suspension/drivetrain/etc related stuff with Eastwoods Extreme Chassis Black.
Posted By: 70RT Charger

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 03:09 AM

Quote:

I just sand blasted and used rustoleum gloss black with a couple rattle cans of color myself,daily driveing and a floor jack is about as hard as I get on a rear axle now days,just in it for the looks

but powder coating is tuff,but harder to touch up chips and nicks

4x4? I have seen the sprayed bed liner on axle housings before,that was different and look some what good,the rest of the rig had it in the floor/cab/bed

That Rustoluem is some pretty tough stuff,bout like the old chassis black.
Posted By: Neil

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 03:12 AM

Rustoleum makes a "Professional" line of enamel paints that seem to be pretty tough.

To keep the housing from getting scratched up put a rag under the jack and jackstands.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 03:19 AM

i did most of the truck with 1 gallon of it,frame/axle/bottom side front clip/under hood/inside cab/jambs

hood got rustoleum satin black

body got 2k primer and its gets lemon yellow 2 stage paint

herculiner for the bed and widen tubs,with 1 case/24 cans of mar-hyde sound deadner/under coating

should be tuff enuff for what i do

Attached picture 6414295-fullpimmerinthesun#2.jpg
Posted By: pressureangle

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 04:17 AM

Few people know that Powdercoating was first developed by Ford Motor Company, for use on suspension/undercarriage components as a coating that would endure. Hard to beat something that was created with intent.

Tell your powdercoater you want it applied about twice as thick as they usually do. It's not paint.
Posted By: None2Slow

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 07:46 AM

The more shine to the paint, the less durable it is. At least according to my local paint supply. Went semi gloss underhood for me.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 08:47 AM

That makes no sense. You can use a Matte clear that has the exact same durability factor as a gloss clear.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 12:27 PM

Quote:

The more shine to the paint, the less durable it is. At least according to my local paint supply. Went semi gloss underhood for me.

Posted By: 70B5Cuda

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 01:49 PM

A local powdercoating company said that metallic colors don't hold up as well as solids so they suggest a clear powdercoat over the color powdercoat..
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 02:29 PM

This is the sure grip in my '73, I did it in black single stage urethane. Tough enough for a street car!

Attached picture 6414857-(71)Painted3.23SureGrip(April15,2007).jpg
Posted By: jcc

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 05:05 PM

Quote:

I am looking for a tough finish for the axle/rearend housing? What would be toughest-enamel/urethane/epoxy?

And how would the toughest compare to a powdercoat?

IMO, on scale 1-10, powder coat being 9, 2 part urethane 7.2, epoxy 6.9 (it chalks?) enamel 4.5. Not sure what your concerns are, but you could for a reasonable cost yellow zinc plate the entire housing , and then do any of the above processes, which would almost completey rule out rusting from paint chips, minor scratches, etc. however the paint processes would require a etching or epoxy primer. Not sure how far you want to go with this.
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 05:17 PM

I have to disagree with the above, the thickness of the paint determines how easy it is to chip, not whether if it is glossy or not.
Posted By: cjs69mope

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 05:18 PM

I have used the por-15 gloss black paint cheap and a small starter kit can do the whole rear end , very durable and glossy when done as directions say . the nice thing to is if you want you can brush it on and still hard to tell it was brushed the paint is very self leveling and forgiving .just use a good quality hair brush (works the best .)
Posted By: dmerc

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 05:33 PM

Rustoleum gloss black in the quart can. Brush on a couple of coats and you are good to go for a long time. Only costs 10 bucks. you cant beat that.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/13/11 11:10 PM

Mine had surface rust, so I washed it good and brush painted it with rust converter. Then I brush painted it also with polyoluem gloss black. It has looked really good for years. But if you are willing to spend more, I agree with earlier post that Eastwoods chassis black is good stuff.
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/14/11 03:16 AM

Quote:

Posted By: jcc

Re: What type finish would be toughest for rearend housing? - 01/14/11 03:39 AM

Quote:

I have to disagree with the above, the thickness of the paint determines how easy it is to chip, not whether if it is glossy or not.

Not sure who the "above" is, but I found powdercoat usually the thickest coating and the toughest, now if we were talkng lacquer, I would agree without question. And the comment awhile back about "shiney" being less durable, I'm at a loss for words.
© 2024 Moparts Forums