Moparts

1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations

Posted By: Big Bad Bee

1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/06/11 10:33 PM

Well, the bee should be in paint late next week. Been a long time coming. I need to place some bright metal items including my emblems including the front fender 383 engine callouts, hood bee and hood pins. I will also need to place the bee on the trunk filler molding. For good measure, I have scat pack bees for the rear windows. Does anyone have the factory location drawings for these items or photos of original stuff so I can get them to my body guy? I know I can hit up Rick Ehrenberg but he's a busy guy...

Thanks!

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/10/11 01:56 AM

C'mon! Help!!!!
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/10/11 02:05 AM

Contact me trough e-mail, I will send you pics of mine...

Dan
veneerguy@msn.com

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/10/11 11:48 PM

Woohoo! Thanks for coming through Dan. That's what Moparts is about! You have email!
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/11/11 12:31 AM

Glad someone stepped up. I wanted to help, but I have neither 383 emblems nor hood pins.

Let's see some pics!

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/11/11 03:09 AM

Dan's emailing me on the emblems. I will post them here if he doesn't mind.

The hood bracing has provisions for the hood pins and I believe that the bolts replace the inner pair of core support to fender bolts but I can't confirm that. If anyone has factory hood pin and bolt shots, please show em!
Posted By: SixPackRT

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/11/11 06:42 AM

Lindy, Maybe this will help on the hood pins. Your correct on the hood pins mounting in the fender/core support provisions. If your fenders are not drilled big enough I would suggest a dremel tool to open up the holes. one of my fenders was replaced before my car was painted and the hole needed to be opened up.

I will PM tomorrow

Scott

Attached picture 6410458-HoodpinsCOPY.jpg

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/11/11 06:53 AM

another, I am pretty sure the correct routing of the lanyard is through the hole in front of the mounting screw. This one is not like that, but but it is one of the pictures I had.

Scott

Attached picture 6410475-hoodpins.jpg

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/11/11 06:57 AM

This might help too

Scott

Attached picture 6410482-MangoBee2.jpg

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/11/11 04:50 PM

Scott,

Those are great! I didn't think about using the hole in front of the lanyard screw hole to route the cable. I'd like confirmation if anyone has it. Thanks for the diagram! Last night I found only one picture of an engine compartment with the pins shown but it just barely shows what should be the lanyard attaching point. Thanks, pal!

I did find one close up of the bee on the bright trunk filler trim and it looks original. Still wouldn't mind another. I need those 383 call out locations too and we're good.

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/13/11 01:44 AM

I will post tomorrow

Dan
Posted By: SuperRob

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/13/11 03:40 PM

i think the lanyard on my bee was never detached.

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/13/11 05:32 PM

Quote:

Nice to see an unrestored survivor pic with stuff as it should be!

bolts in upside right; blackout done right, hood spring not body color, etc. etc.

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/13/11 06:47 PM

hope it helps

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/13/11 06:49 PM

Dan

Attached picture 6415267-Resizeofb2.JPG

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/13/11 06:54 PM

Back

Attached picture 6415270-ResizeofResizeofb5.JPG

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/15/11 08:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice to see an unrestored survivor pic with stuff as it should be!

bolts in upside right; blackout done right, hood spring not body color, etc. etc.

Dave

Anyone have any solid information on the lanyard routing. PM me as I don't want to steal Lindy's thread, but would like to know. I have no firm evidence either way, but alway thought I've seen them through the front hole.

Scott

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/17/11 06:27 PM

Dan and rob, thanks a million. DP is so right. This picturesque are worth tons! Those ones with the measuring tape are excellent. Rob, does your car have the fender mounted 383 callouts? That's the last piece of the puzzle.

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/18/11 12:47 AM

You mean this ?
Dan

Attached picture 6423830-ResizeofPhoto005.jpg
Posted By: SuperRob

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/18/11 03:48 PM

Quote:

Rob, does your car have the fender mounted 383 callouts? That's the last piece of the puzzle.

sorry, but it's a N96 car...

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/18/11 04:58 PM

Dan,

That's the one. Do you have access to that car? If you could get pictures straignt on with a tape from the seam between the door and fender and another from the top fender crease to the emblem I will be golden!

Rob,

Is your car a 383 N96? To my knowledge the 70 bees only had scoop callouts with the 440 sixpack or hemi. If your car is a 383 with scoop callouts that would be something.

Thanks guys.

Kudos to my body guy. He's doing an amazing job on the body. It's looking SOOOO fine! I'm so anxious to see it in paint. Unfortunately you know how body shops go. What was last week turned into this week and now it won't be in paint till next week. I'm hoping to have the car back in march...

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/18/11 05:09 PM

Quote:

Rob,

Is your car a 383 N96? To my knowledge the 70 bees only had scoop callouts with the 440 sixpack or hemi. If your car is a 383 with scoop callouts that would be something.

Moparts member Andy's survivor 383 N96 Bee;

see, you learn something new every day!

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/18/11 05:11 PM

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/18/11 05:34 PM

Lindy, If it was a N96 car they had the callouts on the hood scoops and not the fender. If it was NOT a N96 car it had the emblems on the fender and the script "superbee" on the bulge hood if my information is correct. Someone like Dave can confirm.

Scott

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/18/11 05:48 PM

Quote:

Lindy, If it was a N96 car they had the callouts on the hood scoops and not the fender. If it was NOT a N96 car it had the emblems on the fender and the script "superbee" on the bulge hood if my information is correct. Someone like Dave can confirm.

Scott

Correct;

383 N96 car:

383 standard "power bulge" hood 383 car;

Dave
Posted By: Edison62

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/18/11 05:50 PM

Quote:

You mean this ?
Dan

Sorry for the hijack Lindy but.......

..... I so need the exact location of those fender mounted turn signals and the 383 fender emblems also!

Bryan

Attached picture 6425197-6423830-ResizeofPhoto005.jpg

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/18/11 05:52 PM

Also, I BELIEVE that '70 V code 'Bees with the standard hood did not recieve any fender badges;

...got a few pics like that one.

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/18/11 06:17 PM

Quote:

Also, I BELIEVE that '70 V code 'Bees with the standard hood did not recieve any fender badges;

...got a few pics like that one.

Dave

And all hemi cars came with N96 hood.

Scott

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/18/11 08:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rob,

Moparts member Andy's survivor 383 N96 Bee;

see, you learn something new every day!

Dave

Meh. Is my face red... Thanks Dave. That's so crappy for me! I have two brand new Year One 383 fender emblems that came with my car and I am setting it up with the N96 hood. Ebay, here I come...

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/18/11 08:47 PM

Quote:

Meh. Is my face red... Thanks Dave. That's so crappy for me! I have two brand new Year One 383 fender emblems that came with my car and I am setting it up with the N96 hood. Ebay, here I come...

Well as long as you didn't drill the holes, you aren't that bad off.

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/19/11 12:59 AM

So true. Nope. No holes drilled yet. Thank goodness. My body guy was waiting for measurements and pictures so thankfully, he hadn't got out the drill. thanks for your help with photos Dave. I am going save them in my archieves when I get home.
Posted By: Two Lane

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/19/11 02:29 AM

Never say Never guys- I had an 8 of 1969 production B5 blue 383 N96 coupe and it had 383 call outs on the scoops and 383 magnum on the fenders. I'll have to dig up pics when I get home. I bought it in '81 from the 2nd owner and found the original owner. Car was completely original when I bought it except the tires and mufflers. Steve (Pink Duster- can back me up on the car)

Quote:

Scott

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/19/11 04:52 AM

I'm surprised to see the pics of the Bees with N96 WITHOUT the fender badges!

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/19/11 05:04 AM

Quote:

Dan,

That's the one. Do you have access to that car? If you could get pictures straignt on with a tape from the seam between the door and fender and another from the top fender crease to the emblem I will be golden!

Of course, this one belongs to me.

I''ll post pics and measures tomorrow,along with the turnsignal measurments.

Dan

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/19/11 06:32 AM

Quote:

Never say Never guys- I had an 8 of 1969 production B5 blue 383 N96 coupe and it had 383 call outs on the scoops and 383 magnum on the fenders. I'll have to dig up pics when I get home. I bought it in '81 from the 2nd owner and found the original owner. Car was completely original when I bought it except the tires and mufflers. Steve (Pink Duster- can back me up on the car)

Two Lane, I would agree that there may have been exceptions especially in some early build cars. We all know there were some odd things done at times, but I think that would be the exception not the rule.

Scott

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/19/11 07:18 AM

Sounds like I would be okay either way! Really interesting stuff. Same goes for that automatic floor shift handle. Chrome or woodgrain. What was the determining factor of which one went on a bee in 1970?

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/19/11 05:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Two Lane, I would agree that there may have been exceptions especially in some early build cars. We all know there were some odd things done at times, but I think that would be the exception not the rule.

Scott

I'm not questioning that a car could have been built with both, but out of the many I've looked at I've never seen one which leads me to believe it would be a factory mistake or an anomaly.....seen dozens with just the 383 on the scoop and nothing else. So Lindy, you are way better off omitting the fender badges unless you want to have a debate every time you show your car.

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/19/11 05:07 PM

Another; original N96 car, 61,000 miles no fender badges;

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/19/11 07:25 PM

I hear you Dave. Yeah, I will get enough flack from guys on the first four digits of my VIN... I don't need the extra

Next logical question: Measurements on the 383 N96 scoop emblems anyone? Bottom edge of scoop to bottom of emblem and front edge of scoop to front edge of emblem would be great. Thanks for the great pictures.

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/19/11 09:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Scott

Scott, I believe you hit the nail on the head. I only owned one 70 Bee but for 8 years, and never took notice to other emblems deleted or not on other Bees. I wish I still had it being an exception- The fender /scoop emblems and it was B5 in/out with a Peacock blue Bumblebee stripe.
PS- dug through a pile of old pics and can't find the particular one I'm looking for when I pulled the orig engine out- can clearly see both hood and fender emblems- I'll try to hunt for it this weekend. I think that it would really add to this thread.

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/19/11 09:48 PM

Quote:

PS- dug through a pile of old pics and can't find the particular one I'm looking for when I pulled the orig engine out- can clearly see both hood and fender emblems- I'll try to hunt for it this weekend. I think that it would really add to this thread.

That would be cool to see. neat color combo too.

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/20/11 12:30 AM

I'd love to see them too. I'm saving all the photos so I can eventually pass information like this to others. I think it would be really cool to have a moparts photo archive that consists of survivor close up photos that fall under strict guidelines just to aid in the resto process.

Having put myself into E body knowledge for the past two decades, I am having a blast now learning all the minutia detail on the fabulous one year only split bumper coronet!

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/20/11 04:52 PM

Quote:

I'd love to see them too. I'm saving all the photos so I can eventually pass information like this to others. I think it would be really cool to have a moparts photo archive that consists of survivor close up photos that fall under strict guidelines just to aid in the resto process.

I saved quite a few specific ones, but I should have saved ALL of them for reference purposes....oh well. I must say that I learned alot about '70 Coronets over the last 5 years but there's still lots to learn......in the beginning, I assumed that most parts would be the same from '68 - '70 on all B bodies.......was I ever wrong!!

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/20/11 05:16 PM

I'm just glad I have moparts guys like you and Scott and the other guys on this post to glean from. I hear you Dave. I went to the B body to be able to finish a car cheaper (sooner!). Well, most of the garden variety parts are cheaper than E body parts bit the 70 Coronet one year deal does present its own challenges. I am having a blast and am fortunate to have almost all of the year specific hardware. I just bought one in pieces and don't know how it all goes together!

Funny deal. My body guy is a chevy guy. He estimated 30 minutes to remove the front and rear bumpers. After an our and a half of wrangling with the front clip to remove the front bumper he said, "getting that thing back on with paint on the valance is going to be a three man job! I said, "yeah, there's definitely some interesting engineering in that nose."

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/20/11 05:36 PM

Oh, and while eyes are still on this post, Another fun question. Were any cars equipped with the one piece whip style radio antenna in 70 or were they all the extendable mast style?

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/20/11 05:41 PM

Quote:

I'm just glad I have moparts guys like you and Scott and the other guys on this post to glean from. I hear you Dave. I went to the B body to be able to finish a car cheaper (sooner!). Well, most of the garden variety parts are cheaper than E body parts bit the 70 Coronet one year deal does present its own challenges. I am having a blast and am fortunate to have almost all of the year specific hardware. I just bought one in pieces and don't know how it all goes together!

Funny deal. My body guy is a chevy guy. He estimated 30 minutes to remove the front and rear bumpers. After an our and a half of wrangling with the front clip to remove the front bumper he said, "getting that thing back on with paint on the valance is going to be a three man job! I said, "yeah, there's definitely some interesting engineering in that nose."

Thanks; but guys like Scott have forgotten more than I'll ever know. I have done a lot of research on '70 Superbee's but trust me; if I appear like I'm an expert, it IS an illusion!

Funny you mention the front end; that was a real PITA for me!! Had the whole thing powder coated, assembled and installed only to find out that the stuff I bought was bent!! Soooo, take the original stuff, sand blast, powder coat, reassemble and re-install......lucky I had 3 complete sets of brackets and supports.

I bought this car in boxes with a good half the pces missing and I suppose I was forced to learn........Just like I learned basic mechanics by owning real POS cars when I was 16!

I would never have thought such parts as K frames, steering columns, gauges, valve covers, front seats, etc. etc. were all one year only stuff!!

Anyway, sorry for the ramble!

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/20/11 05:52 PM

Quote:

Oh, and while eyes are still on this post, Another fun question. Were any cars equipped with the one piece whip style radio antenna in 70 or were they all the extendable mast style?

I have seen both, but I believe the extendable mast style is correct. This isn't something I spent much time looking at.

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/20/11 08:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have seen both, but I believe the extendable mast style is correct. This isn't something I spent much time looking at.

Dave

As said before- I only had one 70 Bee but mine had an extended type. I can't recall seeing what a whip style is?? (like a cb antenna with the spring at the bottom??) Curious.

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/20/11 08:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave

As said before- I only had one 70 Bee but mine had an extended type. I can't recall seeing what a whip style is?? (like a cb antenna with the spring at the bottom??) Curious.

No, it is just a narrow flexible rod screwed into the base: no spring. My 'Cuda has one. I know it well; I have to take it off every time I put the car cover on.

Dave
Posted By: rth

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/20/11 11:11 PM

i also had a 70 bee with n96.it had both 383 badges and scoop call outs. plum crazy,rev c stripe in white and blk interior.bought it in '82.even rusty it was a sharp car.

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/21/11 04:10 PM

Quote:

Thanks; but guys like Scott have forgotten more than I'll ever know. I have done a lot of research on '70 Superbee's but trust me; if I appear like I'm an expert, it IS an illusion!

Dave, Thanks for the compliments but I am a master of illusion myself

Like you, we get to know these cars pretty intimately (did I say that .... yeah there like a wife or girlfriend!). When you do a complete restoration you are forced to do the research to make sure your car is correct (if thats what your shooting for). You really learn alot about specific things. And being that 70's are a quirky year, you start to learn all the little idiosyncrasies with them. I was fortunate in my last 70 to get a car that was still in original paint with all the major components still in place except the motor and trans. So the car itself dictated my current restoration. I'm a huge 70 fan and I try to gather as much information as I can through original cars, experience, collecting way to many parts, and especially people like Dave on this board. So we all learn from each other.

As far as the antenna mast, the telescopic antenna is what should be on a 70. here is another post about this.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6396502&an=0&page=0
Posted By: hemi70se

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/21/11 04:15 PM

So if you had a 70 Coronet R/T with the standard bulge hood would it have even had "440" emblems on it?

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/21/11 05:09 PM

Quote:

So if you had a 70 Coronet R/T with the standard bulge hood would it have even had "440" emblems on it?

No, it would have nothing. No 440 badges on a '70 Super Bee V code with power bulge either.

Here's a 31,000 mile survivor R/T:

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/21/11 05:53 PM

Quote:

Nope, I'm living it! Mine is stripe delete to boot.

Scott

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/21/11 07:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave, Thanks for the compliments but I am a master of illusion myself

Like you, we get to know these cars pretty intimately (did I say that .... yeah there like a wife or girlfriend!). When you do a complete restoration you are forced to do the research to make sure your car is correct (if thats what your shooting for). You really learn alot about specific things. And being that 70's are a quirky year, you start to learn all the little idiosyncrasies with them. I was fortunate in my last 70 to get a car that was still in original paint with all the major components still in place except the motor and trans. So the car itself dictated my current restoration. I'm a huge 70 fan and I try to gather as much information as I can through original cars, experience, collecting way to many parts, and especially people like Dave on this board. So we all learn from each other.

As far as the antenna mast, the telescopic antenna is what should be on a 70. here is another post about this.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6396502&an=0&page=0

Hah! Humble guy. Anyone who orders an entire roll of correct woodgrain vinyl from Japan just to make his car correct is top shelf in my book. You've both earned your stripes and I am better off for your efforts.

I was in my basement shop last night digging through bags of hardware that came with the car. Ugh. Hundreds of screws, little or no identification. The most I know about any of them is that they belong to interior, exterior, grill, rear lights and panel, etc. beyond that it's a total crap shoot. I recognize about 20% of them and have a general guess on about half of them. Wow.

QUESTION: On the interior screws, knowing that this is no reference resto, should I purchase a screw kit for my interior or should I clean, derust and replate/coat my original screws? If kit, where to buy? If restore, what to use?

When this is over, I will be with you two, helping out the next 70 coronet guy.

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/21/11 08:19 PM

I'd go with a complete screw kit. I used RT specialties and was very happy. There are always kits on EBay too. I couldn't be bothered to clean and refinish a 1000 different screws plus the kits come labeled.

Dave

Re: 1970 Superbee emblem and hood pin locations - 01/24/11 09:20 AM

Quote:

I'd go with a complete screw kit. I used RT specialties and was very happy. There are always kits on EBay too. I couldn't be bothered to clean and refinish a 1000 different screws plus the kits come labeled.

Dave

thanks for the tip on r/t specialties. I agree chasing down the correct crews, and cleaning, and coating... ugh.
© 2024 Moparts Forums