Moparts

check engine light on 03 Neon- turn off?

Posted By: mopars4ever

check engine light on 03 Neon- turn off? - 12/12/10 06:42 PM

I was wondering how to turn the check engine light off on my 03 Neon. The t-stat was bad and I replaced it but the light is still on. Will disconnecting the battery work? Will it go off on its own. I don`t think Autozone will turn them off. By the way the t-stat was broke in half. I guess years of opening and closing finally took it`s toll on it.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: check engine light on 03 Neon- turn off? - 12/12/10 07:11 PM

You should be able to disconnect the battery cable for about 5 minutes and it may reset.
Posted By: Junky

Re: check engine light on 03 Neon- turn off? - 12/12/10 08:40 PM

How do you know the check engine light is for the thermostat? Check engine code is ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON with the key. Where the mileage is usually displayed will be where the type of problem will be displayed. Sometimes it takes a while driving before the check engine light goes off.
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: check engine light on 03 Neon- turn off? - 12/12/10 11:55 PM

www.neons.org , Second Gen section.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: check engine light on 03 Neon- turn off? - 12/13/10 12:26 AM

Quote:

You should be able to disconnect the battery cable for about 5 minutes and it may reset.

I agree. That is what some dealerships do behind the shop wall while you wait and they charge full shop labor to do it.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: check engine light on 03 Neon- turn off? - 12/13/10 02:04 AM

Quote:

How do you know the check engine light is for the thermostat?

Because I took the car to autozone and they ran a scan and that code came up.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: check engine light on 03 Neon- turn off? - 12/13/10 02:10 AM

Auto Zone can turn off the CEL with the same scan tool that they pulled the code with. That way you won't have to reset the clock and radio stations.
Posted By: Two Lane

Re: check engine light on 03 Neon- turn off? - 12/13/10 06:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. That is what some dealerships do behind the shop wall while you wait and they charge full shop labor to do it.

That isn't the correct way to do it. In the early 90's (up to 95) computer vehicles that was Ok to do. The newer OBD 2 type vehicles I don't recommend that. The transmission computers have to relearn a new drive cycle and it'll crate havoc if you do that over and over. Go to Schucks or Auto Zone have them clear the code.
© 2024 Moparts Forums