Moparts

elect fan useres

Posted By: bonefish

elect fan useres - 12/01/10 04:56 AM

what do you guys use to control your fans.right now mine just stays on all the time,id like it to shut off after i gain speed.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: elect fan useres - 12/01/10 05:15 AM

I use a Spal controller...works perfect for me (with a dual Spal fan setup)

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spal-Pulse-Width-Modulated-Fan-Controller,35700.html
Posted By: Azzkikrcuda

Re: elect fan useres - 12/01/10 05:15 AM

I use a SPAL PWM controller with my ford taurus fan. It turns the fan on and off and varies fan speed with temp. I use them on all the cars I convert to electric fans. http://www.spal-usa.com/fans/automated/accessories/fanpwm.html

Attached picture 6330041-FanPics003.jpg
Posted By: dirtybee

Re: elect fan useres - 12/01/10 07:14 AM

summit sells kits
Posted By: Boise Chall

Re: elect fan useres - 12/01/10 07:45 AM

I use the Dakota digital 2 speed fan controller for my Ford Taurus fan in my 72 Challenger with a 512. You can use the gauge sensor you already have installed in the water pump housing and it will turn low and high speed on at the temps you set.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: elect fan useres - 12/01/10 08:11 AM

Just a standard fan control relay. kicks on above 185, shuts off at 170. on the highway, once my temps drop, the fan shuts off.

it'll even cycle off and on in town running in traffic.

just gotta have a thermostat that is at or below the off temp of the controller, otherwise, the thermostat will close and start bringing the temps back up before the fan ever shuts off.
Posted By: feets

Re: elect fan useres - 12/01/10 07:20 PM

My Mercedes fan cooled the engine below the thermostat.

I cheated a wee bit on the controller. I used my EFI system to turn it on and off.

Re: elect fan useres - 12/01/10 10:19 PM

Quote:

I cheated a wee bit on the controller. I used my EFI system to turn it on and off.

I was going too as well....but eh...changed my mind

Re: elect fan useres - 12/02/10 04:01 PM

Quote:

I use a Spal controller...works perfect for me (with a dual Spal fan setup)

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spal-Pulse-Width-Modulated-Fan-Controller,35700.html

does this work with a mech.guage?

Re: elect fan useres - 12/02/10 04:12 PM

Your mechanical gauge will not trigger a fan controller. There are other places to mount a sending unit without giving up your mechanical gauge.
Posted By: 440dodge440

Re: elect fan useres - 12/02/10 06:47 PM

Does anyone know who sells just the switch that goes in the WP housing? I don't need the relay, wiring, etc, just the switch. Most everybody seems to list them by model nummber, not on/off temps.

Re: elect fan useres - 12/02/10 08:07 PM

Buy a factory original part for your car.

Re: elect fan useres - 12/02/10 11:08 PM

And use a sending unit for a gauge, not a light...so you get the variable signal you'll need if using the Spal controller for example.

You just program it to go on and off at what ever temps you want from there.
Posted By: Joel71

Re: elect fan useres - 12/03/10 01:39 AM

Mine is wired hot to a toggle switch. I turn it on when I need it, leave it off when I don't. I can also run it without the car being on at the track to cool it between runs.

Re: elect fan useres - 12/03/10 01:39 AM

im running the mezerie unit and there is only a spot for the mech gage.where do you mount a sensor for the spal unit and what type should i get?
Posted By: 440dodge440

Re: elect fan useres - 12/06/10 06:33 PM

Quote:

Mine is wired hot to a toggle switch. I turn it on when I need it, leave it off when I don't. I can also run it without the car being on at the track to cool it between runs.

This is how mine is set up now....I'd like to use a switch that closes at around 190 and opens around 170. I can use this to trigger the relay and operate the fan....problem is, all of these are sold in kits that have a lot of stuff I don't need....

Re: elect fan useres - 12/06/10 09:32 PM

Quote:

im running the mezerie unit and there is only a spot for the mech gage.where do you mount a sensor for the spal unit and what type should i get?

You can put the sending unit in the head or intake (small block). If all else fails, go to the hardware store and get some plumbing parts to tee into the fitting and run both the sender and sensor in that hole.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: elect fan useres - 12/07/10 01:58 AM

I have a twin fan set up with separate switches & relays for each fan.They are controlled by my right hand man "MANUEL"

Attached picture 6342281-DSC_0912.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums