Moparts

any one ever used safe -t-caps to cap a frame

Posted By: dustpan man

any one ever used safe -t-caps to cap a frame - 11/19/10 07:08 AM

i got a duster the k frame broke through the unibody frame what caps work best of if i should buy nice orignal ones i want to cap the rear two spring hangers to never did this before
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: any one ever used safe -t-caps to cap a frame - 11/19/10 07:14 AM

they look like crap and fit horrible! waste of time and money if you ask me..
Posted By: dustpan man

Re: any one ever used safe -t-caps to cap a frame - 11/19/10 07:26 AM

thanks
Posted By: Evil Monkey

Re: any one ever used safe -t-caps to cap a frame - 11/19/10 07:59 AM

I used an Auto Rust Technicians cap (I believe those are the Safe-T-Caps you are referring to) on the back half of the drivers front frame rail on my Cuda. It fit well and has held up fine for about 10 years now, and I have no complaints.

However, after getting the cap from them, I realized it was just 3 pieces of steel welded together to make the cap, and that it was something I could have fabricated myself for about 10 percent of what they charged. I have since made my own caps for the two rear spring hangers out of some steel stock that I had on hand, and they are easily as strong as anything someone could sell to me, but it did take some time to do the fabrication. If you have more time than money - make your own, but if you have more money than time - buy them pre made.

The K frame section of the frame might be something that you would want to buy, though - depends on your fabricating skills. I'm not sure if the caps are good for this area, or if you would be better off getting a new front frame rail, or a section of a frame rail to splice in. But if you're a good fabricator, I would think this section could be fabbed up also.
Posted By: klunick

Re: any one ever used safe -t-caps to cap a frame - 11/19/10 03:18 PM

Same here. Used Auto Rust Tech's caps and they are fine. Not a perfect fit but they are close. They are also 13 gauge steel which is slightly heavier than what the factory used. My bodyman tells me this car certainly isn't going to be twisting with these, the torque boxes, and frame conectors.
Posted By: wmwalden

Re: any one ever used safe -t-caps to cap a frame - 11/19/10 04:59 PM

Why not weld three plates on the rail. Both sides and the bottom. Go 6 inches past the break and call it done.
Posted By: klunick

Re: any one ever used safe -t-caps to cap a frame - 11/19/10 06:40 PM

That works as long as the area you are capping is flat. What you gonna do for the area over the axles? For me it was just easier to buy what I needed.
Posted By: reflections7

Re: any one ever used safe -t-caps to cap a frame - 11/20/10 09:58 PM

Quote:

I used an Auto Rust Technicians cap (I believe those are the Safe-T-Caps you are referring to) on the back half of the drivers front frame rail on my Cuda. It fit well and has held up fine for about 10 years now, and I have no complaints.

However, after getting the cap from them, I realized it was just 3 pieces of steel welded together to make the cap, and that it was something I could have fabricated myself for about 10 percent of what they charged. I have since made my own caps for the two rear spring hangers out of some steel stock that I had on hand, and they are easily as strong as anything someone could sell to me, but it did take some time to do the fabrication. If you have more time than money - make your own, but if you have more money than time - buy them pre made.

The K frame section of the frame might be something that you would want to buy, though - depends on your fabricating skills. I'm not sure if the caps are good for this area, or if you would be better off getting a new front frame rail, or a section of a frame rail to splice in. But if you're a good fabricator, I would think this section could be fabbed up also.

Same here I could have made it myself for 10 percent of what they charge. They work but that is all I will say.
Posted By: cudaized

Re: any one ever used safe -t-caps to cap a frame - 12/07/10 07:19 PM

Can anyone tell me what the original frame rail metal thickness is?

How many thousands or gage thickness?

Thank you.

Ola
© 2024 Moparts Forums