Moparts

Switching to Synthetic Oil on Used Car?

Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Switching to Synthetic Oil on Used Car? - 11/18/10 11:37 PM

Would there be any downside to switching to synthetic oil on a 100,000 mile engine that has lived it's whole life on regular oil? Car is a 2001 300-M with the 3.5L. Will the synthetic oil "clean-up" the inside of the motor IF it is sludgy? (I'd bet the inside of this engine is very clean though as the car was meticulously maintained).
Posted By: Brian_E

Re: Switching to Synthetic Oil on Used Car? - 11/19/10 12:03 AM

from what i have gathered, synthetic is always superior to other oil. so no problem switching. hi mileage dictates better oil of same weight and viscosity as manufacturer recommends. Dont think it will clean up sludge, 100 k if maintained there would not be any sludge probably, u may think about a HD high detergent oil to clean engine out if proven to have buildup of sludge but ask dealer about this. My personal opinion.
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: Switching to Synthetic Oil on Used Car? - 11/19/10 01:15 AM

Lube wise the synthetic is superior. A common problem switching to synthetic is a series of new weeps, seeps, and drips. Synthetic seems to find a way through older gaskets and seals more than conventional.
Posted By: zrxkawboy

Re: Switching to Synthetic Oil on Used Car? - 11/19/10 04:19 AM

No problem to switch!
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Switching to Synthetic Oil on Used Car? - 11/19/10 04:54 AM

Switched to Amsoil synthetic on 3 cars. Toyota Supra ('86.5)had 150K miles at the time of the switch, Acura Vigor ('92) one had 120K, the Durango '01 R/T) had about 60K. None of 'em leak or weep. The switch was 3 years ago. None gets more than 8K miles per year now. So I change the oil once a year on each. Last oil analysis on each showed no problems.

Changed the diff, trans, and txfr case oils to synthetic also. Won't go back to dino oil.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Switching to Synthetic Oil on Used Car? - 11/19/10 05:14 AM

That's what I wanted to know guys - thanks. Switching to synthetic tomorrow & here's to another 150k miles! My wife & I like this car better than our 2007 Charger, & we love the Charger.............
Posted By: deansrr

Re: Switching to Synthetic Oil on Used Car? - 11/19/10 05:15 PM

I recommend Valvoline Maxlife
Posted By: daniel_depetro

Re: Switching to Synthetic Oil on Used Car? - 11/20/10 12:02 PM

I don't think weeps, seeps, and drips are common side effects from switching to synthetic oil.
If one does discover a new leak I'd bet it's from the superior cleaning detergents in the synthetic oil removing the sludge of dino oil that is built up in the "corners" thus possibly exposing a leak that was already there but plugged. No, not butt plug!

When you guys switch to synthetics are you adding zddp additives?

I've switched everything I own (Air compressor, motorcycle(s), car(s), truck(s), ...) over to synthetic oils in all drivetrain components (engine, transmission, rear axle).
I personally never had any issues yet, never had any leaks form.
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: Switching to Synthetic Oil on Used Car? - 11/20/10 12:22 PM

Quote:

I don't think weeps, seeps, and drips are common side effects from switching to synthetic oil.
If one does discover a new leak I'd bet it's from the superior cleaning detergents in the synthetic oil removing the sludge of dino oil that is built up in the "corners" thus possibly exposing a leak that was already there but plugged. No, not butt plug!

When you guys switch to synthetics are you adding zddp additives?

I've switched everything I own (Air compressor, motorcycle(s), car(s), truck(s), ...) over to synthetic oils in all drivetrain components (engine, transmission, rear axle).
I personally never had any issues yet, never had any leaks form.

Good points!

On a side note, there are some synthetics with loads of ZDDP already blended in for well balanced finished product.

Avoid added cost and efforts with aftermarket oil additives and apply those funds to a well balanced finished motor oil product.
© 2024 Moparts Forums