Moparts

Removing Vinyl top Glue residue from 73 Chally roof

Posted By: Hoof Hearted

Removing Vinyl top Glue residue from 73 Chally roof - 11/15/10 09:01 AM

Any ideas or experience on removing this stuff?

I'm 99% sure I am Not going to put vinyl back on and would like to take it down to bare metal and prep it.

Should I simply sand it off? Just removed the oroginal top and it's very clean, but has dried glue residue.

Buddy sugested Gasoline...

Sanded quarters down with 80 grit paper, If anyone advises sanding over chemicals, what's the roughest grade paper you'd use?

Many thanks.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Removing Vinyl top Glue residue from 73 Chally roof - 11/15/10 10:32 AM

Don't try sanding glue: it's just gets hot/softened & smears. If it's very dry & brittle: try a chisel scrapper or those single-edge retractable metal razor scrappers. If it's still a little pliable a hot gun will soften it enought to srap.

Also 3M scotch-brite discs work many times.
Alot less messy then those spray on adhesive removers.
Posted By: Mr340

Re: Removing Vinyl top Glue residue from 73 Chally roof - 11/15/10 02:10 PM

PPG makes a Grease and adhesive remover, DX 330. Use that and some scotch brite pads. works well on undercoating also.

Gary
Posted By: burdar

Re: Removing Vinyl top Glue residue from 73 Chally roof - 11/15/10 05:00 PM

Someone in the restoration projects section used WD-40 to get the glue off of his console top plate after the woodgrain was removed. I don't know if that would desolve the vinyl top glue or not.
Posted By: 71 Charger R/T

Re: Removing Vinyl top Glue residue from 73 Chally roof - 11/15/10 05:22 PM

Since you're going to go down to metal anyway, use a relatively stiff wire wheel on a drill, take off all the glue (it will put scratches in the paint)and then sand down the paint then prime and seal it. That's the way it worked best for me.
Posted By: wmwalden

Re: Removing Vinyl top Glue residue from 73 Chally roof - 11/15/10 06:06 PM

I used a straight single sided razor-blade. Went right down to bare metal and goes quick.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Removing Vinyl top Glue residue from 73 Chally roof - 11/15/10 06:28 PM

Goof off or goo gone and a razor blade and about 3 hours to do a 70 dart roof completely.
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Removing Vinyl top Glue residue from 73 Chally roof - 11/15/10 06:54 PM

Quote:

Goof off or goo gone and a razor blade and about 3 hours to do a 70 dart roof completely.

I used that for my car. It even took some of the paint off under the glue.

You can buy it just about anywhere.
Posted By: Devil

Re: Removing Vinyl top Glue residue from 73 Chally roof - 11/15/10 06:58 PM

I soak up some paper towels in goo be gone or such. Lay them on the roof for a few hours. Then the glue just comes off with a paper towel. I usually let it sit overnight.
Posted By: Hoof Hearted

Re: Removing Vinyl top Glue residue from 73 Chally roof - 11/15/10 07:27 PM

Quote:

I soak up some paper towels in goo be gone or such. Lay them on the roof for a few hours. Then the glue just comes off with a paper towel. I usually let it sit overnight.

Genius!

Will try it.
Posted By: CDN72SE

Re: Removing Vinyl top Glue residue from 73 Chally roof - 11/15/10 07:38 PM

Excellent tip, I've been using the 3M discs with excellent results until as mentioned above it warms up and gets all gooey. Think I'll try Goo be Gone for the remainder.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Removing Vinyl top Glue residue from 73 Chally roof - 11/15/10 11:27 PM

I used a razor blade in a scraper with Goof Off as a lubricant/softener. The fumes make you crazy. Makes you order some more parts.
Craig
© 2024 Moparts Forums