Moparts

How do I get brushed on primer off of door jambs?

Posted By: wh23g3g

How do I get brushed on primer off of door jambs? - 11/12/10 11:34 PM

I got this 65 Valiant I'm messing with that someone went over the whole car, door jambs, under hood and everywhere with house primer and a brush. All I'm going to do is an interior restoration, repaint in original color, reseal the engine, and detail under the hood. The rest of the car I'm going to repair while I'm driving it too. I don't know why they did it either other than the driver's fender theres no more areas of bodywork. I already sprayed the paint stripper around the door jambs and used a gas powered pressure washer. It got most of it off but not good enough. The original paint under it is still shiny and smooth. Is there anything else that will get it all off? I'm trying to do this one on a budget so I don't want to have to pay extra to get the door jambs painted.
Posted By: ahy

Re: How do I get brushed on primer off of door jambs? - 11/13/10 12:20 AM

I think you did real well to get most of it off without hurting the paint underneath. If its latex (which I doubt, but who knows) there are removers that will take it off without hurting the enamal. One product is called "goof off" as I remember. Your hardware store can help you.

If its dry oil based primer, I don't see any alternative to sanding or stripping and re-painting. The only upside is finish, gloss ect isn't as critical on the jambs. You might try it at home with an inexpensive sprayer and let the body shop do the outside.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: How do I get brushed on primer off of door jambs? - 11/13/10 03:14 AM

If a solvent wont remove it, carefully wet sand with 12 or 1500 back to the original paint then it can be easily hand buffed to shine again.
Posted By: wh23g3g

Re: How do I get brushed on primer off of door jambs? - 11/13/10 04:28 AM

Won't brake fluid make it bubble up and come off easy? I didn't know if it work because I don't know what kind of primer it is. It tried some Paint Thinner that's suppose to thin oil based paints and it didn't do anything to it. So I'm guessing it's lacquer.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: How do I get brushed on primer off of door jambs? - 11/13/10 04:43 AM

brake fluid will also take the paint off under it. try some goof off, and a green 3M pad, and it should scrub off. alcohol should also remove it, with a 3M pad as well. you need real alcohol, not the watered down stuff. this of course, is presuming it's latex based.
© 2024 Moparts Forums