Moparts

What coler antifreeze? Help

Posted By: POZEST

What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/10/10 10:55 PM

Changing the antifreeze in my 99 dodge stratus. It real nasty, never been changed. Can't even tell what color its supposed to be. Its a 2.4 auto if that helps out. Thanks.
Posted By: zrxkawboy

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/11/10 12:21 AM

Use G05 (the newer formula used by Mopar and Ford). Flush the system thoroughly and use a 50/50 mix w/ distilled water. The G05 is good for 5 years.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/11/10 01:42 AM

What he said & 50/50 will protect you to -35 below that way as you add a bit of water here and there you'll still be good
Posted By: DennisH

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/11/10 01:25 PM

I'd put in Green. Change it every 2 years. Bad for ducks, good for water pump lubrication etc.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/11/10 02:43 PM

Go into where ever you are going to buy the antifreeze and buy the anti freeze that is compatible wither way. A lot of places use this now. It eliminates all question. I believe that all brands have it now.

Posted By: therocks

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/11/10 04:17 PM

I agree the universal is pretty much all we used at the shop.Only time we used anything else is when a customer requested it.Used the universal for at least 6 years and never any problems.It mixes with all types also.Rocky
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/11/10 05:38 PM

And don't buy it pe-mixed.You are buying a half gallon of water and a half gallon of antifreeze.

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/11/10 05:59 PM

Quote:

And don't buy it pe-mixed.You are buying a half gallon of water and a half gallon of antifreeze.

Aound here the wash out price is about the same. Just using numbers but the premix is say 5.50gal. and the straight is 10.75gal. (using sale pricing) So you would be paying like .25 for the convenience.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/11/10 10:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Aound here the wash out price is about the same. Just using numbers but the premix is say 5.50gal. and the straight is 10.75gal. (using sale pricing) So you would be paying like .25 for the convenience.

Reason I mentioned is that I can buy Zerex around here for $7.35 a gallon.
Posted By: yorker

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/12/10 01:40 AM

I buy Presonte straight, not 50 50.
Reason is after a flush, seems like I cannot hardly add the 2 gallons recommended for the large cooling system on a 70's C body big block.
I guess lots of water remains in the block and hoses after draining.

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/12/10 03:49 PM

On a BB if you pull the block drains you will get quite a bit of water out.Rocky

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/12/10 04:26 PM

Quote:

On a BB if you pull the block drains you will get quite a bit of water out.Rocky

Can't do a decent job of flushing a system without taking out the block drains.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/12/10 07:02 PM

Just use green, cheap and easy, that is what is going in my 99 stratus 2.4 when I get this dang cyl head back on it.

Better re-check your math on the 50-50 junk, around here is is about $10 gallon for straight and $7.50 for the pre mix, that means you are paying $2.50 for 1/2 gallon of water.

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/12/10 07:06 PM

Quote:

Just use green, cheap and easy, that is what is going in my 99 stratus 2.4 when I get this dang cyl head back on it.

Better re-check your math on the 50-50 junk, around here is is about $10 gallon for straight and $7.50 for the pre mix, that means you are paying $2.50 for 1/2 gallon of water.

I don't post for fun. Have checked out the math more than once. Watch sales and buy when the price is right. I don't wait till I need things but buy in advance know that it will be needed at some point not too far down the road.
I agree with your buying if that is as close as you can get but it is usually not that way where I am if you watch and buy right. At the present time the price is not right around here but a couple of weeks ago it was actually cheaper to buy the premix. That don't happen very often. As things would have it I have about 6 gallons of premix and a couple of pure on the shelf.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/12/10 07:49 PM

While we are sort of on the topic, what is the difference in using distilled versus filtered water in the system?

One of the car mags this month mentioned they were using filtered since they had some problem with distilled in the recent past. Didn't elaborate on why though.
Posted By: wheelsup68dart

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/13/10 01:44 AM

I think it has more to do with the Iron content of tap water and coupling that with the coolant passing thru disimilar metals will encourage electrolysis to happen more quickly. If you are wondering what the OE coolant is, it is Dexcool orange, but I agree with just using universal, and also replace the Rad cap when flushing, I had read somewhere that the majority of the problems with dexcool geling is caused by the rad caps not sealing well.

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/13/10 03:12 AM

Quote:

If you are wondering what the OE coolant is, it is Dexcool orange,

OE Mopar coolant is G05, NOT Dexcool (GM). Dex is OAT (Organic Acid Technology), whereas G05 is HOAT (Hybrid OAT). There is a difference. Dex can do bad things when there is air in a cooling system, and it also contains a plasticizer that may degrade certain gasket materials.

That's the problem with the universals: you don't know what you're getting. There is evidence that Prestone, for example, is simply Dex.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/13/10 03:44 AM

Quote:

That's the problem with the universals: you don't know what you're getting. There is evidence that Prestone, for example, is simply Dex.

That's Prestone universal right?

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/13/10 04:27 AM

Quote:

That's Prestone universal right?

Right, the "all makes, all models".

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/13/10 01:56 PM

Dex Cool is totally different than the universal.Mix regular collant and Dex cool and you will have a mess.The universal will mix with any coolant.On the drain plugs for the block make sure you use a good 6 point.If they havent been out they are a bear.That and most times you pull them and nothing comes out till you stick a screwdriver in the hole.Then move fast or get a faceful of nasty stuff.Been there done that.Rocky

Re: What coler antifreeze? Help - 11/13/10 02:42 PM

I sure don't claim to be a chemist, or have all the answers. I've been shown strong evidence that Prestone universal, for one, contains 2EHA (the plasticizer in Dexcool that causes gasket problems in some engines). Is this coolant the same formula as Dex, or does it contain less 2EHA, or what? I don't have the answer, so I'm probably not going to take a chance with it.

You've found a universal that seems to work well for you, so that's good. That doesn't mean that all universals are good. For example, who else does Prestone private label their coolant for (Super Tech, for one)? There are just too many unanswered questions in my book.
© 2024 Moparts Forums