Moparts

Fuel and Storage.

Posted By: ehbody

Fuel and Storage. - 11/08/10 09:24 PM

This year I did not get the car of the jack stands, last year (Oct/Nov) it got a new tank of fuel and stablizer. Am I ok for this winter, or should I pump out and replace.
Can I put in more stablizer, would it help?
Motor will get run about once a month, hopefully.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Fuel and Storage. - 11/08/10 10:10 PM

So sorry you can't drive it to burn up the old fuel. I'd run it as much as possible and add fresh fuel with more stabilizer.
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: Fuel and Storage. - 11/08/10 10:29 PM

i would pump out with a hand pump as much as you can and replace with fresh gas and stabil
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Fuel and Storage. - 11/08/10 11:54 PM

I had gas go bad in a lawnmower that sat only from fall to spring (it looked like dark brown tea) that sat in an unheated garage. Would start for a half second & after 4 or 5 attempts, drained the tank & bowl/refilled it w fresh stuff/all good in the hood. Dont know if it was E10 regular or non gasahol regular (not my mower)
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Fuel and Storage. - 11/09/10 06:32 AM

Siphon the tank empty and burn it in you DD. Gas would probably still be good but I would rather take one less variable out of the equation.
Posted By: RoadRaceDart

Re: Fuel and Storage. - 11/09/10 06:36 AM

If the oil is old then change the oil. I would drain the fuel and put in fresh with stabilizer. It doesn't have to be a lot of fuel. Run the engine with the new fuel until the exhaust is hot all the way to the tips. Pour a little ATF down the carb then kill the engine immediately. Put a plastic bag over the carb inlet and replace the air cleaner. If you don't have full exhaust then put baggies over the outlets. If the engine and fuel system are both well sealed you can leave it sit like this for a few years with no problems. Longer if you completely drain and seal the fuel system. The engine will be protected from corrosion by the ATF and by excluding moisture.
Posted By: superwrench

Re: Fuel and Storage. - 11/09/10 06:37 AM

A somewhat related question.....what about the race gas that is still in the 45 gallon drum in my garage? Is it gonna go funky over the winter?
Should I put some stabilzer in it?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Fuel and Storage. - 11/09/10 01:18 PM

Quote:

A somewhat related question.....what about the race gas that is still in the 45 gallon drum in my garage? Is it gonna go funky over the winter?
Should I put some stabilzer in it?

Race gas already has stabilizers in it, no need to add them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums