Moparts

Mini starter question.

Posted By: scotts66charger

Mini starter question. - 11/08/10 07:12 PM

I have an older mini starter( aprox 10/11 years old).Everyonce in a while, after going to town to cruz around, I will go to 'sonic' for a burger. After the burger, I try and start the car,but it wont start. I tried an old trick from high school, by touching a wrench across the starter and bendix, shorting it out, and starting the car. It didnt do it all the time ( about every 2/3 weeks). Now the car wont start except you put the wrench across the starter like posted above. Question is, Do you guys think the 'Bendix' is bad,or something ? Any help would be Great. Thank you in advance. scott
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Mini starter question. - 11/08/10 07:19 PM

Will it start if you do the same at the relay?
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Mini starter question. - 11/08/10 08:13 PM

Quote:

Will it start if you do the same at the relay?

Only difference is that it is done at the opposite end of the wire, so unless there is a bad wire it should start by jumping the relay terminals.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Mini starter question. - 11/08/10 08:20 PM

If it's an automatic move the shifter through the gears while holding the key in the start position. Sometimes the shift linkage will slip just a little and cause this problem.
Posted By: RoadRaceDart

Re: Mini starter question. - 11/09/10 06:40 AM

If shorting the terminals at the starter works then you just proved its not the starter at fault. I would check the neutral safety switch first if you have one then the starter relay and wiring.

Re: Mini starter question. - 11/09/10 06:06 PM

Thanx guys, I will try all that !!! Its good to get info from others who have had this same problem.. Also to Mr. Skinner, I see you live in portland Oregon. I lived in Bend oregon for Years, and Eugene. M y daughter lives in portland now. small world. thanx again all......

Re: Mini starter question. - 11/10/10 06:13 AM

Where is the relay on a 66 charger?
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Mini starter question. - 11/10/10 04:13 PM

Quote:

Where is the relay on a 66 charger?

Firewall left side,follow the wires up from the starter.
© 2024 Moparts Forums