Moparts

A/C Compressor $$ Questions - 2001 300M:

Posted By: Sunroofcuda

A/C Compressor $$ Questions - 2001 300M: - 10/29/10 11:51 PM

Looking on E-Bay, there are a bunch or reman & even new A/C compressors for the 3.5L 2001 300M applications. A few questions:

1. I want to put a GOOD compressor on to replace the current one. Are there any really GOOD quality remans, or should I stick with a NEW one? What was OE on these?

2. I called one shop today & they said $200.00 to install a new one & evacuate, recharge, etc. What is a fair price to do this?

3. Should other components be replaced along with just the compressor? The dryer, condenser, etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidelines.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: A/C Compressor $$ Questions - 2001 300M: - 10/30/10 12:25 AM

I just put a Napa new comp. on my mom's Olds.....my cost was $200.00!!! If you have someone to put one on,evac, charge,etc. for $200.00(w/warranty I presume)I'd go for it!!
As for question #3....depends on why you're replacing the compressor in the first place.

Re: A/C Compressor $$ Questions - 2001 300M: - 10/30/10 04:45 AM

I bought the car about 5 weeks ago from a dealer, & the compressor on it was making noise so they said they would replace it with a good used one as part of the deal. The one they put on is making noise now - still works but making some noise (bad clutch, bearings???). I'm not too familiar with A/C compressors so I'm not sure but I've always heard you replace the unit.
Posted By: MowP4rsn

Re: A/C Compressor $$ Questions - 2001 300M: - 10/30/10 04:55 AM

You might want to replace the receiver/drier while the compressor is being done, as a precaution.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: A/C Compressor $$ Questions - 2001 300M: - 10/30/10 05:24 AM

I just replaced the AC compressor on my 01 Ram truck, it was a over $200 for the compressor at Advance and $150 to evac and recharge the system..
It was last minute deal or I would have used Rock Auto..
the AC was working great however the bearing on the clutch was bad and could have came off making the pulley a projectile causing a ton of damage..
Rock Auto has great prices on compressors and there is a discount code as well.

Re: A/C Compressor $$ Questions - 2001 300M: - 10/30/10 05:50 AM

I was looking at them on E-Bay & there are a bunch of good-looking deals for under $100.00 for rebuilt compressors, & even NEW ones (one was a Denso) for under $200.00. That's why I was wondering what the OE ones were (Densos?), & also wondering who does GOOD rebuilding on a unit. Years ago, I bought a rebuilt PS pump for a '99 Taurus from Auto Zone & the thing was CRAP! I don't want to make a mistake like this on an A/C compressor as it will be expensive to R&R. Some rebuilt stuff is good quality, some is garbage. Some things you don't want to even buy anything but brand new - like water pumps.

Let's hear more info!!! Heck, I'm trying to find a good rebuilder of these around the Detroit area & blanking so far.

Re: A/C Compressor $$ Questions - 2001 300M: - 10/30/10 06:04 AM

I just found this - a pretty interesting how-to: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_Nippondenso_rebuild/911_Nippondenso_rebuild.htm
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: A/C Compressor $$ Questions - 2001 300M: - 10/30/10 06:54 AM

Quote:

I bought the car about 5 weeks ago from a dealer, & the compressor on it was making noise so they said they would replace it with a good used one as part of the deal. The one they put on is making noise now - still works but making some noise (bad clutch, bearings???). I'm not too familiar with A/C compressors so I'm not sure but I've always heard you replace the unit.

First of all-why would a dealer replace a compressor with a "good used one"? Thats sounds goofy to me
Posted By: therocks

Re: A/C Compressor $$ Questions - 2001 300M: - 10/30/10 01:37 PM

We always suggested replacing the reciever with a compressor.There is no warranty on any compressors we bought unless you replaced the dryer.Most also want you to flush the system.I agree labor and evac price wasnt bad.Expect to pay a bit more if you replace the dryer depending on how hard it is ti remove.If that price includes freon its a decent price.Rocky

Re: A/C Compressor $$ Questions - 2001 300M: - 10/30/10 05:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

First of all-why would a dealer replace a compressor with a "good used one"? Thats sounds goofy to me

Why would a used car dealer put a NEW A/C compressor (or even a rebuilt one for that matter), when they probably paid $50.00 to a wrecking yard for a "good used one"? I would guess most B-lots would not even offer to do that on a 9 year-old car. Anyway, it just sweetened the deal some. I was just hoping the one they bolted on would be a good one. It still works, but it's just making noise. This car is just really a nice one & I don't want any A/C or pulley problems. Doesn't seem too expensive to really do it right & have it last.
© 2024 Moparts Forums