Moparts

Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics?

Posted By: PAINT IT BLACK

Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/20/10 02:25 AM

So I realize that the Vintage Air system eliminates the factory blower motor... what happens with the huge hole in the firewall??
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/20/10 02:45 AM

both vintage and classic used to(not sure what they do now) provide a cover with a hole in it to route all the lines and hoses.
Posted By: cuda72

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/20/10 03:39 AM

I just bought the Vintage Air kit for my '72 Cuda and am in the process of installing it. Everything is included in the kit, all the way down to the extra crank pulley and belt. The only thing it looks like I'll need to buy is new heater hose and R134a freon.
To answer your question, the Vintage Air kit includes a large round plate that covers the hole in the firewall. This plate has four holes in it in which the two heater hoses and two freon lines enter.

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/20/10 04:38 AM

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I just restored my heater box, but I saw a Camaro today with the Vintage air system and I thought.... hmmmmm....that sure would be nice on a Houston summer day....

I think I'm gonna do it. I can probably sell my box/blower motor for nearly what it will cost to get the system. No brainer.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/20/10 07:02 AM

I just picked up a vintageair evaporator kit, but got the pump and condensor elsewhere. Purchased and hid the A/C pump using Bouchillion below the alternator kit and got the maximum sized condensor for my 26" radiator opening from Classicautoair for about 1/2 the cost of anywhere else.

I then put a couple of bulk packs of Dynamat extreme(1/2 price and free shipping from Amazon) and some aircraft insulation(http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/insulator.php) in the car where you won't be able to see it after the interior is in.

In fact, the whole A/C system will be hard to see once it's all in, even with the hood open. I figured it was a neccesity with a triple black color scheme.

Attached picture 6259457-IMG_1147(Large).JPG

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/20/10 03:17 PM

I can't use the Bouchillion bracket... I have a small block with a mechanical fuel pump...
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/20/10 03:28 PM

Steve,
I'm putting a Vintage air kit on a non air 1970 cuda now.

There is large ( about 8" ) plate that covers the original blower motor opening in the firewall. This plate is where the new a/c lines and heater core tubes now come thru the firewall.

The main problem I have is the Vintage air kit requires extra holes be drilled in the firewall, and they go thru right where the cowl seam is.

So, after talking to the cars owner, we decided to make new mouting brackets to mount the air box using the original heater box mounting points. Once we get this new plate cut and test fit I'll post an update

Attached picture 6259697-vintage-air-box.jpg

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/20/10 03:36 PM

I'm using the bouchillon compressor, kit and mounting brackets and pulleys.

My best advise, use the instructions as a guide, I ended up modifiy some(most) of the spacers to align all the pulleys .

It's on a Big stroker street Hemi with the factory 2 four intake. One of the customers requirements is it has to fit under the stock air cleaner, and so far so good.

ps- I'll be in touch soon for a custom AAR style hemi air cleaner as well.

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/20/10 03:58 PM

Quote:

Steve,

There is large ( about 8" ) plate that covers the original blower motor opening in the firewall. This plate is where the new a/c lines and heater core tubes now come thru the firewall.

The main problem I have is the Vintage air kit requires extra holes be drilled in the firewall, and they go thru right where the cowl seam is.

So, after talking to the cars owner, we decided to make new mouting brackets to mount the air box using the original heater box mounting points. Once we get this new plate cut and test fit I'll post an update

Please do. I'd much rather not have to drill.

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/20/10 04:01 PM

Quote:

I'm using the bouchillon compressor, kit and mounting brackets and pulleys.

My best advise, use the instructions as a guide, I ended up modifiy some(most) of the spacers to align all the pulleys .

It's on a Big stroker street Hemi with the factory 2 four intake. One of the customers requirements is it has to fit under the stock air cleaner, and so far so good.

ps- I'll be in touch soon for a custom AAR style hemi air cleaner as well.

That obviously was a major concern for me. I've got an AAR style base and need the clearance. But if people are using shaker bases, mine should fit as well.

Give me a ring on the customer's base when it comes time.
Posted By: jrlegacy23

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/20/10 04:10 PM

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/20/10 04:20 PM

I'd like to see the no-drill adaptor too. Here's another shot of the hidden bracket kit with a shaker. The kit lined everything up with no modifications at all.

As it turns out, my power steering belt also goes around a second pulley on the water pump. It's always been like this since I got the car in 1978. According to all the manuals, it didn't come this way, but it sure looks and lines up like original. It not only keeps the water pump spinning in the event the main alternator belt breaks or gets thrown, but also counteracts the waterpump bearing wear from the alternator belt tension.

Attached picture 6259770-IMG_1148(Large).JPG

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/24/10 02:55 AM

While working on the installation of the Vintage Air kit (and I'm sure it is the same with all brands), I found out the hard way that the dashboard will have to come out in order to get to the four screws that hold the factory defroster duct in place.

At first glance it seems like a simple matter of removing the four screws from the top of the defroster vent to remove the duct, but as it turns out the four screws that actually hold the duct in place are hidden behind the framework of the dash, and those four screws in the defroster opening are used to secure the dash near the windshield. So just be warned before starting...

Overall however, I couldn't be more pleased with the quality of this Vintage Air package. I've already mounted the compressor and condenser with no problems whatsoever, and was very surprised that everything fits perfectly so far.

As I progress, I'll keep posting status reports and things to watch out for when performing this type of installation.

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/24/10 03:01 AM

Quote:

Steve,

If/when you come up with a suitable plate to mount the core without drilling extra hole in the firewall, please post some info or photos on the bracket so others (such as me ) don't have to reinvent the wheel

Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/24/10 03:32 AM

I'm installing an aftermarket kit in mine by nostalgic air. I decided to weld closed the original hole for the blower motor. This way I can route the hoses through where I want them. But for those who have a high $ car and/or don't want to modify, the block off plates for the blower motor hole look decent on cars I've seen them on.

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/24/10 03:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Steve,

If/when you come up with a suitable plate to mount the core without drilling extra hole in the firewall, please post some info or photos on the bracket so others (such as me ) don't have to reinvent the wheel

Will do, I have the basic plate cut now.
I have to do some final trimming tomorrow( I may do it today) and make any adjustments .
It's basically just a flat plate with a re-inforcement rib along the top to prevent oil-canning and add some ridgity to the plate.

With no issues , the A/C box goes in the 1st of the week

I'll be making a last minute run to florida for a funeral, I'm guessing mid-week. So not much is going to get done this week.

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/26/10 01:29 PM

Ok, here is the test shot of the plate.
It was cut in stainless( material was free) but isn't required. You should put some kind of stiffening rib in it to prevent it from bowing

Attached picture 6269421-DSC00108.JPG

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/26/10 01:31 PM

The plate then attaches to the kit supplied box mounting brackets the same way as if attaching to the cars firewall as shown.

Attached picture 6269425-DSC00115.JPG

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/26/10 01:32 PM

view from the opposite side

Attached picture 6269427-DSC00112.JPG

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/26/10 01:33 PM

another view - same side

In this view you can see I added a second round bulkhead plate to add strength and rigidity to my plate. You may or may not need this depending on the gauge of your custom bracket.
The kit comes with only one of the round bulkhead plates and it's on the engine compartment side of the firewall

Attached picture 6269429-DSC00113.JPG

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/26/10 01:40 PM

test fit in the firewall, engine compartment view
I epoxied 1/4-20 x 1.25" lag bolts to the interior plate to use as mounting studs in the firewalls original non-a/c heater blower mounting holes.

Attached picture 6269444-DSC00117.JPG

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/26/10 01:47 PM

In this picture, I have marked the locations of where Vintage Air wants to drill thru the firewall to cowl seam.

Attached picture 6269449-DSC00119.JPG

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/26/10 01:52 PM

Instructions , also suggest to drill holes in the cowl to secure the inerior bracket as well.
In this picture you can see the fabbed up bracket I made to secure it to a 1/4-20 stud on the firewall/cowl. The box is all mounted and extremely secure

Attached picture 6269454-DSC00122.JPG

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/26/10 01:52 PM

closeup

Attached picture 6269455-DSC00123.JPG

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/26/10 01:59 PM

and with the deroster vents and plumbing in place

Attached picture 6269471-DSC00124.JPG
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/26/10 04:02 PM

Awesome Bill

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/26/10 04:02 PM

Excellent photo documentary Bill! Great job on avoiding drilling uneccessary holes in the car. It's much appreciated. I'm going to duplicate your efforts on my e-body this week.

Does the Vintageair unit not use the 3 bolts you epoxied around the stock heater mount at all instead relying exclusively on the other bolts they want the holes drilled in the cars firewall etc to mount it?

I'm finding I somewhat enjoy the challenge of adding performance accessories using the stock bolt holes etc to mount the brackets I make to install little goodies that "enhance" my ride's comfort, performance and reliability.

I see you used sound some kind of sound deadening/insulation mats in the car as recomended by Vintageair. I wrestled with the idea of using Dynamate in my car and finally decided to put some in where it can't be seen without looking up under the dash or pulling back the headliner or carpet etc. The benefits way outweight the pain it will be to potentially remove it some day....if ever. I supplemented the two bulk packs of Dynamate Extreme I used with rolls of double-side, foil-covered aircraft insulation for further heat, sound and vibration deadening that will one day potentially be easier to remove than the Dynamat etc. My buddy did his car and swears it made a huge improvement in driver comfort compared to stock.

Attached picture 6269614-IMG_1322(Large).JPG

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/26/10 04:21 PM

Quote:

Does the Vintageair unit not use the 3 bolts you epoxied around the stock heater mount at all instead relying exclusively on the other bolts they want the holes drilled in the cars firewall etc to mount it?

No,
The only thing they use the original holes for is plastic push pins to mount the bulkhead plate to the engine compartment side of the firewall.
My customer wanted no part in drilling extra holes in the car unless absolutly neccassary.

I was going to use Dynamat,,,,but on a friends recomemdation. I went with a similar product from fatmat. It's the heavier .080" thick stuff called rattle trap

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/26/10 04:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No,
The only thing they use the original holes for is plastic push pins to mount the bulkhead plate to the engine compartment side of the firewall.
My customer wanted no part in drilling extra holes in the car unless absolutly neccassary.

I was going to use Dynamat,,,,but on a friends recomemdation. I went with a similar product from fatmat. It's the heavier .080" thick stuff called rattle trap

Thanks for the info! Yah, FatMat is high quality. I found that Amazon dotcom sells all that kind of stuff for a fraction of what anyone else does AND they often offer free shipping. That alone saved me a bundle.

If you ever have a need, here's the link to the other type of insulation I'm using under the carpets, behind the headliner and door-panels. Cut it to shape and seal the seams with that silver foil tape. I cocooned the whole interior with it after using the Dynamat. It's easy to remove if need be. I found it after a lot of searching. It's easy to install and the price is great compared to anything else available out there. The 1/2 thick stuff will only fit in the headliner and on the floors. It's too thick for anywhere else, but the single layer stuff is perfect for behind the door panels, rear package tray, and under the stock trunk mat(cut just undersize to keep it out of sight)

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/insulator.php

Attached picture 6269693-IMG_1333(Large).JPG

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/26/10 05:39 PM

Thanks for posting Bill. This is really going to help me and others. Btw please call me asap.

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 10/26/10 10:59 PM

Bill, many thanks for the great bracket idea and photos on this install! I was under the dash of my '72 Cuda over the weekend, removing the original defrost ducting (what a pain to remove) and will soon be mounting the Vintage Air unit. Thanks to your hard work on figuring this out, it will make my life easier on doing the same without resorting to drilling unnecessary holes.

Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - THANKS BILL ALLPHIN - 03/04/11 02:05 PM

Update, I finally got some time to start on the AC. I appreciate the tips on modifying the Vintage Air kit so that I didn't need to drill unnecessary holes in my car.

I made mine a little different because I was using the locations for holes in the firewall that were intended for use on original AC cars for my fuel gauge isolator hose and my temp gauge line (had to cut one of the supplied brackets, drilled new holes, and notched the top side of my firewall plate). I also welded the new firewall studs from behind instead of epoxying them. But having a heads up saved me some time and probably resulted in a better quality install. It sure is handy having a welder and a plasma cutter!

ONE MORE QUESTION THOUGH... did you drill the hole in the firewall for the drain hose? I really don't want to do this, but if it has to be done, then it does. Got anymore bright ideas up your sleeve? Anyone?

Attached picture 6509425-DSC024752.jpg

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - THANKS BILL ALLPHIN - 03/04/11 02:06 PM

Backside

Attached picture 6509428-DSC024772.jpg
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - THANKS BILL ALLPHIN - 03/04/11 03:00 PM

Do you block off the opening for the fresh air vents in an original non air car when you use the Vintage Air system? I may use Vintage air in an A-body in the near future.
Posted By: dan9

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 03/04/11 03:31 PM

Make sure you read Vintage Air's recomendation to test the blower before you install it. I did follow their instruction and ran it about a minute or so on the garage floor. After installing it in the dash the blower motor failed after being run about 15 seconds. Maybe it was just a freak thing but it would be worth it to test it. Vintage did replace it but only after i sent it back and they tested it. They would not take my word for it.

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - THANKS BILL ALLPHIN - 03/04/11 03:37 PM

Quote:

Do you block off the opening for the fresh air vents in an original non air car when you use the Vintage Air system? I may use Vintage air in an A-body in the near future.

Yes, there is a plastic block off plate included in the kit.

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - THANKS BILL ALLPHIN - 03/04/11 04:31 PM

Quote:

ONE MORE QUESTION THOUGH... did you drill the hole in the firewall for the drain hose? I really don't want to do this, but if it has to be done, then it does. Got anymore bright ideas up your sleeve? Anyone?

I broke down and drilled the hole. Make sure it aims the dripping water where you want it to go and not on the headers and such. I used a little elbow outside the firewall to aim mine away from the headers and down on the ground. I worried about the carpet and passengers feet pushing up and kinking the hose if it were off to one side or the other, so I drilled it straight in front of and down an inch from the evaporator's exit hole, and then used an elbow to aim it away from my headers.

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - THANKS BILL ALLPHIN - 03/04/11 04:35 PM

Bummer. I honestly hadn't thought of this aspect before now.

I can deal with the hole I guess since the car isn't special numbers-wise and it will likely stay like this for good.

What I'm more worried about is the potential mess it may cause in the engine bay. Guess I'll have to get creative with an elbow and plan a controlled evacuation route.

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - THANKS BILL ALLPHIN - 03/04/11 04:45 PM

Due to lag time getting some parts for this car, it was back burnered for a while.

My plan was to install some kind of elbow or tube exiting thru the Vintage air supplied firewall plate if at all possibile.
Then install a factory E-body drain tube on the engine compartment side.

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - THANKS BILL ALLPHIN - 03/04/11 04:50 PM

That won't work. The drain is lower than the plate and you'll be working against gravity.

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - THANKS BILL ALLPHIN - 03/04/11 04:56 PM

Quote:

That won't work. The drain is lower than the plate and you'll be working against gravity.

I thought about that after I hit post.

Another idea. Get some of the clear semi rigid tubing at a hardware store and run it under the carpet along the trans tunnel OR across the firewall then down the rocker panel, and then cut a hole in one of the floorpan body plugs.
You could duct tape it to the hump , that way it's not going to get pinched

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - THANKS BILL ALLPHIN - 03/05/11 05:32 AM

That may work... I'm going to get the car further along before I decide to tackle this. I'll post here again when I do.
Posted By: jphemi

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 07/08/12 04:09 AM

I was wondering if you had any pictures that show your a/c lines running from the "hidden a/c" compressor. I am trying to decide if I should buy Bouchillon's condensor package to connect to the "hidden a/c compressor along with their non-factory appearing condensor or try to piece something together.

Thanks.
Posted By: Grimmey71

Re: Aftermarket AC in a non-air Cuda - firewall pics? - 07/31/12 08:48 AM

Since I already finished my firewall and don't want to drill more holes than needed, do you guys who have done this think it would be possible to do a stud plate then use panel adhesive to glue the stud plate to the inside of the firewall?
© 2024 Moparts Forums