Moparts

Using Patch Panels

Posted By: 440charger70

Using Patch Panels - 10/19/10 10:47 PM

Some dude was busting on all the patch work I did the other day and said it was worthless because I should have used full replacement panels.

Question, is it bad to use a lot of patch panels in place of using replacement steel? I am using the correct gage steal, butt welding it and really blending the panels in nicely. Additionally, I am preserving as much of the original good metal as possible..

For example, instead of replacing the entire quarter panel that only had rust on the bottom and the wheel well, I cut the quarter panel into pieces to only replace the bad spots. It's not a straight across weld, but it is still welded on cleanly and there is more original steel this way...

In the end, will this hurt, help or not make a difference to the value of the car?
Posted By: ahy

Re: Using Patch Panels - 10/19/10 11:44 PM

Some would say preserving more of the original metal adds value. If done well, I see no problem with patch panels. My
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Using Patch Panels - 10/20/10 12:02 AM

dude is full of it....Save as much of the car as you reasonably can.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Using Patch Panels - 10/20/10 12:24 AM

Nothing fits like original metal. If you did a nice job of butt welding everything and you didn't have to cover it up with a half inch of bondo I would prefer what you did to cutting a whole quarter off for half a square foot of rust.

Sheldon
Posted By: 440charger70

Re: Using Patch Panels - 10/20/10 12:35 AM

That's a relief. I have been studying up and working hard to do this car the right way. Some chump just trying to get a good deal out of me...

I appreciate everyone's 2 cents.
Posted By: elitecustombody

Re: Using Patch Panels - 10/20/10 04:06 AM

post pics of your patches and we'll see
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Using Patch Panels - 10/20/10 04:16 AM

Quote:

post pics of your patches and we'll see

© 2024 Moparts Forums