Moparts

Heater/AC Box restore/refurbish foams

Posted By: Pat_Whalen

Heater/AC Box restore/refurbish foams - 10/15/10 05:59 AM

I know I've got a goofball application (1980 Ramcharger), and as such, I wouldn't expect someone like Resto Rick or Detroit Muscle to be putting out a foam kit for my hater/AC box like they do for late 60/early 70 a, b & e bodies.

My question is, where can I purchase and what do I call the foam needed to re-do this box.

30 years in the dry Arizona weather has turned every inch of foam into dust the second I touch it. Would a generic closed-cell foam in the appropriate width and thickness with an adhesive backing do the job? I'm not so much interested in "factory correct" as I am functional (even beyond what was available back in 1980).

Here are some pictures of what I'm working with:

And as a second question, there were no heater hoses in the engine bay of this truck, and these covers were over the heater core inlet/outlet. They seems to be thick rubber and were definitely heated/shrunk onto there. I cut them off (I plan on using the heater core), and inside looked pristine and untouched. Was it ever an option for non-heat?

Thanks all Looking forward to some nice before and after pictures to share with you all.
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: Heater/AC Box restore/refurbish foams - 10/15/10 06:48 AM

You might check with James Fillmore, aka 71TA.
Posted By: 70Coronet500Vert

Re: Heater/AC Box restore/refurbish foams - 10/15/10 01:44 PM

Ask Resto Rick if he will seel ya some bulk material
Posted By: Pat_Whalen

Re: Heater/AC Box restore/refurbish foams - 10/15/10 11:12 PM

Thanks for the heads up guys. I've already contacting Rick and will be contacting James.

Anyone else?

Posted By: SixPackRT

Re: Heater/AC Box restore/refurbish foams - 10/16/10 02:25 PM

Quote:

You might check with James Fillmore, aka 71TA.

Or try http://www.mcmaster.com/#foam/=9at77m

They have a big variety of different materials you may be able to use.

Scott
© 2024 Moparts Forums