Moparts

Big Block Timing Set: who makes a good one ?

Posted By: AlexP

Big Block Timing Set: who makes a good one ? - 10/14/10 04:43 AM

I'm shopping for a replacement timing set from local sources. What brand timing set have you bought on a budget and had good luck with ? Single Bolt and non adjustable. Nothing fancy.

Thanks !
Posted By: moparsquid

Re: Big Block Timing Set: who makes a good one ? - 10/14/10 04:51 AM

try cloyes true roller.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Big Block Timing Set: who makes a good one ? - 10/14/10 05:00 AM

I need one too and heard good reviews on Cloyes also
Posted By: landon1

Re: Big Block Timing Set: who makes a good one ? - 10/14/10 05:06 AM

i think mine was $45 - comp double roller
Posted By: AlexP

Re: Big Block Timing Set: who makes a good one ? - 10/14/10 05:33 AM

I want to replace the original nylon toothed one on my 383.

I guess I'll just go with the basic Comp lifters with my swap to an XE275HL.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Big Block Timing Set: who makes a good one ? - 10/14/10 02:16 PM

Quote:

i think mine was $45 - comp double roller

I just bought a comp double roller, BAD design, instead of it having a hole for the dowel pin on the cam it had a SLOT about .625 long, I didn't measure it , but the dowel was in the middle of the slot. I needed to advance the cam about 4 degrees and the 4 degrees that you can move it in either direction is CRANK degrees which moves the cam 8 degrees which makes zero sense ... all the adjustable with plus and minus 4 degrees do this and have done it forever ... HELLO MCFLY ???

Anyway whatever set you get make sure it has a hole for the dowel not a slot and make sure you degree it because not all markings are the same. I put 2 different chains on the same cam and they were 1 degree different from each other.

The best to get is a billet with 9 adjustment keyways, at least with those you can move the cam 4 degrees or a single and use a bushing , chevy bushings are the same for mopar and easy to get locally.

And good luck getting anything local other than a stock replacement set the same day.
© 2024 Moparts Forums