Moparts

where to get this gasket,or do i really need it

Posted By: mcmopars

where to get this gasket,or do i really need it - 10/06/10 11:46 AM

do i need the foam gasket that goes behind the grease seal on 73 disc brake car?
Posted By: GregCon

Re: where to get this gasket,or do i really need it - 10/06/10 12:35 PM

Excellent question on a part most people overlook.

Do you need it? Well, you need something there to keep road crud out of your seal area.

You can either cut new ones out of white bubble foam or if you can't do that you can use a bead of silicone. It's not hard to find white foam, like they use in protective packing wrap, and it's easy to use a protractor to draw circles.

Leaving this gasket out is a shortcut that leads to a less-than-proper job.
Posted By: therocks

Re: where to get this gasket,or do i really need it - 10/06/10 01:01 PM

It depends on how much you drive also.I swapped to disc on the 65.First time I put them on 4 years with no gasket there.Everything still looked like it was installed.Second time I used some RTV.Car gets maybe 1000 miles in the summer.Rocky
Posted By: Commando1

Re: where to get this gasket,or do i really need it - 10/06/10 01:15 PM

Quote:

do i need the foam gasket that goes behind the grease seal on 73 disc brake car?

Funny you should just mention that...

http://www.moparfins.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3671

Posted By: bigblock340power

Re: where to get this gasket,or do i really need it - 10/06/10 01:35 PM

Quote:

I don't recall seeing that on my '71

Re: where to get this gasket,or do i really need it - 10/06/10 02:54 PM

They all had it at one time....
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: where to get this gasket,or do i really need it - 10/06/10 03:08 PM

Just go over to Staples or Office Depot and buy yourself a small sheet of foam wrapping material that they sell.
That's what i do when i need something like that, when i rebuild disc brake components.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: where to get this gasket,or do i really need it - 10/06/10 03:19 PM

Detroit Muscle Technologies reproduces that gasket.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: where to get this gasket,or do i really need it - 10/06/10 04:31 PM

Actually, it is a seal for the splash shield, not the WB seal Factory-type WB seals have a deflector built in). For performance use, toss both the shield and the seal, the majority of cars in the last 20 years don't have 'em (but on some SUVs, 4X4s, etc.). For lots of dirt-road, sloppy-weather driving, the shield can help reduce pad wear by keeping grit and dirt away.

Rick
Posted By: mcmopars

Re: where to get this gasket,or do i really need it - 10/06/10 09:11 PM

thanks
Posted By: pishta

Re: where to get this gasket,or do i really need it - 10/09/10 05:55 AM

I thought I got mine at Autozone, special order but it was like 2 bucks and a day. Check here..
http://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/pdfs/DMT%20CATALOG%2070-74%20E%20BODY.pdf
look on top of page 10...2 bucks.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: where to get this gasket,or do i really need it - 10/09/10 07:16 AM

Quote:

Actually, it is a seal for the splash shield, not the WB seal Factory-type WB seals have a deflector built in). For performance use, toss both the shield and the seal, the majority of cars in the last 20 years don't have 'em (but on some SUVs, 4X4s, etc.). For lots of dirt-road, sloppy-weather driving, the shield can help reduce pad wear by keeping grit and dirt away.

Rick

I Agree..

Re: where to get this gasket,or do i really need it - 10/09/10 02:06 PM

Who said it is a WB seal in the first place?
© 2024 Moparts Forums