Moparts

Clutch Pedal Sticking and Noise

Posted By: Anonymous

Clutch Pedal Sticking and Noise - 09/19/10 09:49 PM

Need a little help. I'll try to describe this the best I can.

Here's the clutch I have:
Centerforce 10.95, 18 spline dual friction Disc/PP.

Car sits for a day. When I get in the car, depress the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, and start the car, the pedal does not want to return. In addition, when I get past the 1/3 point in pressing the clutch pedal down, I hear a loud squeeling noise, and the pedal seems stiff.

I tracked the noise back to the clutch fingers (not sure what else to call them). Everything else (linkage, zbar, etc) is lined up, lubed, and moving freely.

Now, when I drive the car and press the clutch in to shift, it returns fine. After driving around town with the car well warmed up, the clutch moves fine, doesn't stick when sitting, and the noise almost goes away.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!!!
Posted By: maxie

Re: Clutch Pedal Sticking and Noise - 09/19/10 10:44 PM

when you drop the hammer on it, does the pedal get sucked away from your foot?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Clutch Pedal Sticking and Noise - 09/19/10 10:46 PM

First off--it sounds like a classic case of a diaphram clutch WITH an overcenter spring still installed.....Right?
You need to remove the overcenter spring.

Re: Clutch Pedal Sticking and Noise - 09/20/10 01:13 AM

Quote:

when you drop the hammer on it, does the pedal get sucked away from your foot?

I'm fairly certain no, but something I can test just to be sure.

Re: Clutch Pedal Sticking and Noise - 09/20/10 01:15 AM

Quote:

First off--it sounds like a classic case of a diaphram clutch WITH an overcenter spring still installed.....Right?

I never removed a spring from it, so yes. What's it for? How would I go about removing it? And are there any negative impacts of doing so?
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Clutch Pedal Sticking and Noise - 09/20/10 01:17 AM

You need to get it out of there. There are a few methods, everythign from stickign washers in the streched spring to cutting it.

Cutting it is a dangerous deal. Doable but dangerous.
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Clutch Pedal Sticking and Noise - 09/20/10 01:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I never removed a spring from it, so yes. What's it for? How would I go about removing it? And are there any negative impacts of doing so?

its a pain to get out but doable with the car all together,

i thought the centerforce directions said you may have to pull the spring if it does exactly what your describing.
Posted By: cudaboone

Re: Clutch Pedal Sticking and Noise - 09/20/10 02:27 PM

Yep, you guys are right. I put a center force in my 72 cuda and had the same problem. Can't remember exactly how i got the spring out, but did it myself and don't remember it being a really big deal.
Put a little spring that i got from the hardware store from the clutch pedal to the dash support. Worked great.

Re: Clutch Pedal Sticking and Noise - 09/20/10 06:40 PM

So, removing the center spring will prevent the clutch from sticking to the floor. What about the stiffness and noise? Hard to describe....squeeking, rubbing noise when I depress the clutch. Coming from the clutch fingers. Linkage, zbar, and everything else is moving freely and lined up correctly.
Posted By: EV2AAR

Re: Clutch Pedal Sticking and Noise - 09/20/10 07:45 PM

Did you powdercoat the clutch ? J/K

Re: Clutch Pedal Sticking and Noise - 09/20/10 08:41 PM

Quote:

Did you powdercoat the clutch ? J/K

Maybe the squeeking noise is when the kids are underneath the car when I yell "SHIFT"
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Clutch Pedal Sticking and Noise - 09/20/10 11:54 PM

Get rid of the overcenter spring located over the clutch pedal under the dash, that part of your problem, remove it by sticking a bunch of washer between the coil's, or flat tip screwdrivers, then just push down on the pedal and remove the extended spring by hand, the washers/screwdrivers will keep the spring extended in shape,....see what you have after that regarding pedal/clutch noise/feel
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Clutch Pedal Sticking and Noise - 09/20/10 11:59 PM

Quote:

Get rid of the overcenter spring located over the clutch pedal under the dash, that part of your problem, remove it by sticking a bunch of washer between the coil's, or flat tip screwdrivers, then just push down on the pedal and remove the extended spring by hand, the washers/screwdrivers will keep the spring extended in shape,....see what you have after that regarding pedal/clutch noise/feel

Neat trick!

Mental note taken.

Re: Clutch Pedal Sticking and Noise - 09/21/10 02:05 AM

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the advice everyone.
© 2024 Moparts Forums