Moparts

vinyl top. anyway to fix a few bubbles without redoing?

Posted By: 69charger440_6pa

vinyl top. anyway to fix a few bubbles without redoing? - 08/23/08 11:34 PM

Hey,

is there anyway to fix a few small spots on a vinyl top that are lifting without having to redo the top?

Maybe a heat gun or somthing to try and soften the adhesive?
Posted By: 340dart4spd

Re: vinyl top. anyway to fix a few bubbles without redoing? - 08/23/08 11:37 PM

simple fix... remove trim peal it back...more then likely there is rust...then use adheasive to glue it back

Re: vinyl top. anyway to fix a few bubbles without redo - 08/23/08 11:43 PM

its not rust, its a newer install. I think it may have been lack of adhesive

Re: vinyl top. anyway to fix a few bubbles without redo - 08/23/08 11:51 PM

where is it the bubble?

Re: vinyl top. anyway to fix a few bubbles without redo - 08/23/08 11:53 PM

there are a few in various places, some near the trim, some on the top of the roof. The more I look the more I find. Not sure why. Must not have used enough glue when I installed it. It went down flat when it was installed...... I hate vinyl.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: vinyl top. anyway to fix a few bubbles without redo - 08/23/08 11:57 PM

Let it sit in the sun, and roll the bubbles with a rolling pin. Then, if you can, sit something on the bubbles to get it to lay flat

Re: vinyl top. anyway to fix a few bubbles without redo - 08/24/08 12:00 AM

I have noticed that if i push them they tack down for a few minutes, then they come back. Maybe a little heat would do the trick.

Re: vinyl top. anyway to fix a few bubbles without redo - 08/24/08 12:11 AM

Quote:

Let it sit in the sun, and roll the bubbles with a rolling pin. Then, if you can, sit something on the bubbles to get it to lay flat

there you go....
Posted By: HemiStan

Re: vinyl top. anyway to fix a few bubbles without redo - 08/24/08 01:08 AM

I have a couple of bubbles in mine as well from a lack of adhesive. I think that I am going to get some type of syringe with a needle, fill it with adhesive, and inject it into the bubble. Then, push if flat and see what happens. I've tried everything else.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: vinyl top. anyway to fix a few bubbles without redoing? - 08/24/08 01:44 AM

Quote:

Hey,

is there anyway to fix a few small spots on a vinyl top that are lifting without having to redo the top?

Maybe a heat gun or somthing to try and soften the adhesive?

Here is what the 73 Cuda factory body manual says:
Place strips of masking tape over the bubble.
Use a hypodermic needle and syringe to insert 3M vinyl trim adhesive 8064 into bubble area. Avoid getting the adhesive on the top service (this is in bold black print).
Remove needle and work adhesive to cover the area by pressing on the vinyl cover.
Allow to dry 5 minutes at room temp.
Heat bubble with low heat (150 to 160F) until the bubble area begins to enlarge in circumference. Inrared heat lamps provide suitable heat.
Remove heat source allow cover to cool. A method of rapid cooling will be beneficial.
Using a dry hypo, puncture the cover 4 times equally around the bubble to allow air and trapped solven to escape
After bubble collapses, press cover to metal surface staring from one side of bubble and working toward the opposite side until it conforms to metal surfaces and all raise surfaces disappear.
Keep vehicle from hot sunlight and other direce heat sources
Examine top after a 24 hour period.
That from the manual.
Sounds like lots of fun work.
Craig

Re: vinyl top. anyway to fix a few bubbles without redo - 08/24/08 03:23 AM

well so far I have been trying my heat gun and a roller, then quickley cooling the area and it seems to be working........ so far. Time will tell.
Posted By: mikepar

Re: vinyl top. anyway to fix a few bubbles without redo - 08/24/08 11:35 AM

ditto sounds good to me thats wot i was thinkin
© 2024 Moparts Forums