Moparts

Reccomend a shop for B Body heater core (w/ ac) fix?

Posted By: 68Bullet

Reccomend a shop for B Body heater core (w/ ac) fix? - 09/01/10 08:39 PM

I finally did it! I wrestled the damn heater core out of the car. What a nightmare. But hopefully the nightmore is over, if someone can reccomend a good shop to take this to. I see a corroded spot in the core where it appears to be leaking, though I haven't pressure checked it myself. I can't really get the core out of the housing.

I'm hoping there's an expereinced shop/member that can help me out. Any reccomendations?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Reccomend a shop for B Body heater core (w/ ac) fix? - 09/01/10 08:52 PM

Check the local parts stores for a replacement. It will be cheaper then having your old one fixed in most cases.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Reccomend a shop for B Body heater core (w/ ac) fix? - 09/01/10 09:24 PM

Quote:

Check the local parts stores for a replacement. It will be cheaper then having your old one fixed in most cases.

Hopefully. As stated, check around first. When I did mine, the heater core cost $38. I ended up restoring the whole heater box. Total cost was $180. That was with new caskets, seals, paint, etc. Guess it depends on whether or not you're restoring the whole thing or just wanting to fix the core. Just my

Re: Reccomend a shop for B Body heater core (w/ ac) fix? - 09/01/10 11:15 PM

I've checked thoroughly, they are not readily available for cars with AC. There is also some sort of specialty valve that I have been told may leak. That's why I'm hoping to find someone with knowledge of this particular part.
Posted By: 71rm23

Re: Reccomend a shop for B Body heater core (w/ ac) fix? - 09/01/10 11:37 PM

Year of car?

Re: Reccomend a shop for B Body heater core (w/ ac) fix? - 09/02/10 12:02 AM

Yes, very important detail! It's a 68 coronet, factory AC car.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Reccomend a shop for B Body heater core (w/ ac) fix? - 09/02/10 12:15 AM

Classic Auto Air in Florida took care of mine (70 E with AC). They repair and stock replacement cores, vacuum pots and other parts.

I sent my whole box in for overhaul; they did a great job. Its running fine about 5 years later with a Sanden compressor up front.

If you want to DIY, in addition to the FSM, Mopar Muscle had a decent article on their website on overhaul of the box.
Posted By: rrunner

Re: Reccomend a shop for B Body heater core (w/ ac) fix? - 09/02/10 12:18 AM

Not cheap, but avalible
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...id=360196606220
Posted By: mr_belvedere

Re: Reccomend a shop for B Body heater core (w/ ac) fix - 09/02/10 12:40 AM

Send it to Bob at Glen-Ray Radiators.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Reccomend a shop for B Body heater core (w/ ac) fix - 09/02/10 05:44 AM

The heater control valve is a pretty common problem.
They pop up NOS or rebuild on the b body parts for sale section or epay.. 70 is a one year only deal...
A member said that NAPA sells repair kits for them, in a long ago post...
Posted By: C_B5

Re: Reccomend a shop for B Body heater core (w/ ac) fix - 09/03/10 02:41 PM

Be warned that many of the aftermarket cores do NOT fit properly. Since you have the original core you are better off restoring the original. I also agree with the other reply that recommended sending it to Bob at Glenray radiators for recore / restoration.
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Reccomend a shop for B Body heater core (w/ ac) fix - 09/04/10 03:03 AM

Call Todd at http://alouisradiator.com/ I bought my heater core from him last year. They are in S.F.
© 2024 Moparts Forums