Moparts

Big Block exhaust to head pipe

Posted By: BigBird

Big Block exhaust to head pipe - 08/29/10 02:50 AM

Is there a good way to keep from getting an exhaust leak between the manifold and the head pipe? I've filed the flanges on both the manifold and pipe flat, installed a new gasket with high temp RTV and it still leaks after 100 miles. I've tried steel gaskets as well as fiber gaskets with little luck. Anyone else fighting this problem?
Posted By: wingman

Re: Big Block exhaust to head pipe - 08/29/10 03:03 AM

That one can be a pain.

Be sure your motor mounts are in good shape to limit excess engine movement--that can wreak havoc on the joint. DAMHIK
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Big Block exhaust to head pipe - 08/29/10 01:29 PM

Is the exhaust system hung correctly with correct flexible hangers? Too many times I've seen the exhaust pipes hanging from cheapo universal hangers in a configuration that actually prevents flex.

Re: Big Block exhaust to head pipe - 08/29/10 10:20 PM

It's on factory hangers on a restored car. They seem to move ok and the engine mounts are in good shape as well. I've had the same issues on my big block pickup until one set finally just held. Saw nothing that I had done different than any of the others. It is easy enough to change them but there has to be some trick to make them work the frist time.
Posted By: Jim_S

Re: Big Block exhaust to head pipe - 08/29/10 10:44 PM

I had to double up on the flange gaskets with ultra copper between them and on the outer sides. Next time I have them apart, I think I'll try Remflex gaskets.....

Re: Big Block exhaust to head pipe - 08/29/10 11:04 PM

Never heard of Remflex? I did the double gasket with high temp RTV last time with no luck.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Big Block exhaust to head pipe - 08/29/10 11:22 PM

The flange gaskets TTI sells worked best for me.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Big Block exhaust to head pipe - 08/30/10 02:23 AM

change the flat flange on the head pipe IMHO

stop fighting the warped one on the end of the head pipe

over torqueing the flange will warp them,gone as many as 3 gaskets with copper rvt to seal them

now thats shade tree right there

40 bones and it was done up with a nice one at the muff shop

never another problem with it

© 2024 Moparts Forums